PDA

View Full Version : Raggdy Ann Doll

jenner567
11-05-2004, 09:22 PM
This is a watercolor and gesso 12" x 9"

Would this painting be considered an illustration?

Thank you,

Jenner567

AFM159
11-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi jenner567! Welcome to the Illustration Forum, and thanks for sharing!

Wether the image you posted is an illustration depends on your point of view and on your intent for the piece.

Yes, it could be used as an illustration, or it could just be a nice painting.

Are you looking to get into illustration?

TedDawson
11-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Now there's a question.

For me, something falls under the heading of Illustration if it accompanies text in some form or another, or if it's purpose is to inform or clarify an idea.

This is a great painting. Pop in the words, "Memories..." in swirly letters, or "Suddenly Raggedy Andy fell out the window!" and it's an illustration.

jenner567
11-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi jenner567! Welcome to the Illustration Forum, and thanks for sharing!

Wether the image you posted is an illustration depends on your point of view and on your intent for the piece.

Yes, it could be used as an illustration, or it could just be a nice painting.

Are you looking to get into illustration?

Hi Dave, I just painted it without illustration in mind. My brother thought I should try illustration of child books. I don't know if I want to go that route. I've read a lot about it. I think it would be very time consuming inasmuch as I wouldn't have time for my favorite paintings (realistic types) in acrylic, oils, and watercolor.

You answered my question.

Thanks a bunch.

Jenner567

ed_keaton
12-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi Dave, I just painted it without illustration in mind. My brother thought I should try illustration of child books. I don't know if I want to go that route. I've read a lot about it. I think it would be very time consuming inasmuch as I wouldn't have time for my favorite paintings (realistic types) in acrylic, oils, and watercolor.

You answered my question.

Thanks a bunch.

Jenner567

IMHO, illustration and fine art are just words to tag onto pictures and ways to classify them and put prices on them. It illustrated your doll sitting on the window. It is a fine art still life. It's very nice either way. Why get caught up in semantics?

Just on a note on children's books, I'm a student at an awesome illustration program, and the word from the professionals here is that the c-book market is uber saturated, and unless you have an unbelievable amount of exposure as a commercial illustrator or a foot in the door of the childrens book industry, it's pretty tough. If you wanted to get started in commercial children's illustration though, why don't you try for children's magazines? They're alot less discriminating, and you're alot more likely to get exposure there. It's a great stepping stone to books.

Good luck!

jenner567
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your well informed comments. I've done quite a bit of reading on illustration for children's books, etc., which validates your statement.

It was only a passing idea at the time I painted the Raggdy Ann Doll, however, that is not my passion, it was a fun thing to paint though.

Regards, and thanks again for taking the time to comment.