PDA

View Full Version : Canvas

par72sb
11-05-2004, 07:39 PM
As anyone bought canvas from a fabric store?is it the same material that you get from a art store without the Gesso.

Artguy29
11-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I would assume that canvas is canvas, so to speak.
With a little gesso, you should be fine.

Dave

Einion
11-06-2004, 02:11 AM
What we now term canvas is actually pretty varied, in the past it referred to a very specific type of fabric and implied the fibre it was made from - hemp. Today you're likely to find cotton 'duck' of varied weights used on store-bought stretched canvases; I can't remember why it has that name and I don't know if fabric shops use the same term but you could try asking for it. Linen is also fairly common for higher-end work and this again varies by weight but also by type of weave.

The good news is that pretty much any fabric of a decent weight can be painted on with acrylics so if you find something that has a weave that you like and you think it would work well to paint on buy a sample and give it a whirl. You can mount it on board if you think it's a little light to stretch safely. Pop your head in the door of the November classroom (link in my signature) if you'd like to ask any questions about procedure.

Einion