PDA

View Full Version : 56 stones

themanda
11-05-2004, 02:39 PM
it's been forever since i posted in this forum...just haven't had time to work in the medium.

i wanted to try this concept out before i committed it to canvas, so i've returned to photoshop to play a bit. this is just a very quick mock-up of the general idea. i'm not sure if the cherry should stay a cherry or if it should be an olive. i like both ideas; that of the cherry standing out and that of the olive being slyly like a stone.

what are the thoughts?

themanda
11-05-2004, 02:43 PM
here's a version with a black olive...

themanda
11-05-2004, 02:46 PM
and here's a version of one with a green olive.

ah, the wonders of digital.

looking at all of them side by side by side as it were, i think i favor the one with the black olive.

pixelscapes
11-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I dig both approaches; each fits symbolically in a different way. People often refer to cherry pits as "stones", so it fits as a contrast. The green olive is more camouflaged, which fits visually. I'm not so sure about the black one though; it's less obvious what it is, and people might too-quickly assume it's just a black stone.

-=- Jen "Yay digital!" Gagne
http://www.beware-of-art.com

themanda
11-06-2004, 12:05 AM
wow...the response to this was overwhelming!!! please, please, one at a time... :D :D

thanks for the input, pixels. :D after a lot of thinking (well, a bit of thinking) and looking longingly at my tube of red paint i decided to go with a cherry.

here's the finished painting. flame me if you wish for posting it here, but as it had a genesis in digital i feel justified. 24x18 acrylic on canvas.

it's now called 63 stones. pic isn't very true to color.

JulieBoyles
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Oh this is soooo cool Amanda!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I didn't see this yesterday so I'm glad I did today. My favorite was the cherry so I'm glad you picked that one! I'm also happy to see you posting here even if it's just every once in a while. Are you posting your acrylic works in the acrylic forum? I"l have to check it out.

This painting is great! I love it!!

Congrats,

Julie

themanda
11-06-2004, 02:46 PM
ah, thank you muchly julie-julie. :D i post almost exclusively in abstract/contemporary these days. the few times i've posted in acrylic i've been lightly chastised for not being more realistic. i've got too much realism in my life as it is, i don't want it in my art, too. LOL

i poke my head in here every now and again...