PDA

View Full Version : Italian Affair

Clareen Barrett
11-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Italian AffairItalian Affair

Charlie's Mum
11-05-2004, 03:09 PM
These too are beautiful - you obviously rejoice in colour!
Again, it would be interesting to know sizes and surfaces........do you work quickly?
Please let us know a little about you! :D

Bertoni
11-05-2004, 04:03 PM
WOW!! You are most definately a colorist supreme!!!!! :)

Clareen Barrett
11-05-2004, 09:53 PM
[

Yes, I work very quickly...take lots of time going thru' my old photos and sketches, until something pushes my EXCITE button, it may be something I've looked at hundreds of time, but this time the juices start to flow. I make a few quick sketches, concentrate on color possibilities and then dive in! Quick before the emotion leaves me. Painting in acrylics has really helped my method, still am buying the cheapest in jars...open up a bunch and go to it. Don't have time to set up a palette..so jars become a mess quite fast! Try to cover the canvas as quick as possible using my "push to the limit" colors. Been working on larger canvases,48x60 & 36x60 hoping it will help me SIMPLIFY!
After first intense session,I study it, get a feel if it will work..and go back to it later or even the next day. I generally like them in the first stage, then many times will over due my fine tuning and it becomes a boor, and I have another painting to paint over! When I worked in oils, I would get them to the "pea-soupy" stage before I was ready to quit. Now, aren't you sorry you asked!!!! Thanks for noticing work...as never have had much feed-back and this is so encouraging! Love to all Clareen. Will have to include a self-portrait sketch I did about 5 years ago for a friend of mine's special show. and to answer in advance, I left the mouth out on purpose, because my daughters say I talk too much..can't you tell????

Charlie's Mum
11-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Not sorry I asked at all Clareen!
I'm glad you've shared some info with us...and the self-portrait......(boy! I think your paintings reflect your personality perhaps!!!). :D
I always conjure up a 'character' of the respondents here (I'm probably totally wrong every time), but it helps putting that to the personality which does come across in these posts.
I'm glad you feel the feedback is helpful. :D

Clareen Barrett
11-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Maureen!
The photo I did the self portrait from was taken by my sister in law. As I have turned into a total insomniac (do I subconsciously think I'm running out of time?) and spend many nights painting I have aged outrageously in the past 2 years, but have more excitement, opportunities than I've had all my life. My dream was always to get back to England (have been twice) and spend a wk or two in Loo, below Exeter on the Channel, and PAINT,PAINT with some drawing thrown in! I love your roses and will have to look some more of your beautiful work when I have time!!!Just finished a mural at the Mariott Hotel,(Temporary) to cover up remodeling mess. Did their spa & pool room when they first opened. Working on a freeby for the Humane Society and in Jan will do a 8x32' mural for Hospital Fund Raiser. I'm in my mid 70's and think I should be slowing down soon! But then why? Really enjoy hearing from you, thanks for encouragement!!!!Clareen

debimari
11-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Clareen... I just yesterday arrived... and I am so naive and new to all this painting... but am so excited about learning!.. Your work is amazing !... The colors speak!.. I will be looking forward to learning/watching / listening here .. as I need to absorb so very much !... Thanks for being here!... debi

damar
11-07-2004, 02:51 AM
:wave: CB,
I have been to this thread numerous times to post some lines that would describe how much I like these works and I can't come up with anything except: wow!
Color---color---color! With STYLE! Thanks for sharing!

MKathleen
11-09-2004, 01:16 AM
:wave: Hi Clareen:
Welcome to WC and to the Acrylic Forum just found your thread and love your work. Agree with the others wonderful color sense and murals to boot. I did a small painting of a cat which is on the wall behind my dogs food and water dish. I thought sure it would interest our dog but it sure didn't 'fool the eye for her'.lol
Kathy

pameladallaire
11-09-2004, 02:01 AM
I just love the colour. My favourite is the red bush against the light wall. The others are wonderful as well. The colour really gives movement to the pictures and makes me react to each one. I like art that makes me feel, instead of just look. :clap: Pam

Lulu
11-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Exciting work! Love them. And am very much drawn to these, since I am in the process of planning an Italian trip:)

Marty C
11-10-2004, 04:08 AM
Hi Clareen,
Wonderful, expressive, riotus use of colour, producing exciting, joyous works.
Great to see, thanks for sharing, and with that painting style it's no wonder you are so prolific.

Bobbo
11-11-2004, 05:38 AM
nice collection of paintings
so viberant,so full of life
enjoyed them very much

ExpressiveAngie
11-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Yours is the kind of work I could look at all day and never tire :clap:

Einharjar
11-11-2004, 10:25 AM
very good use of color..the fact that u used them 'pure" gives them that extra zing. reminds me a li'l of frederic payet...
what brushes, knives do u use?
Sam

bjcpaints
11-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Clareen,
Your paintings and message are so inspiring and full of life! Makes me think I should try to paint what I see in my dreams. Thank you for sharing your work and your spirit!
Barbara

Clareen Barrett
11-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Just got back to computer...Thank you for kind words!! As for brushes :cheap...l like the flat sable-like brushes, fairly large and an occasional round. Love the flat tapered. I don't use much bristle any more, since I switched to acrylics, as am still using inexpensive acrylics and don't like the "grooves" the bristle brush leaves. That's me at the moment! Who knows next week? My pallet knife, is just that...never learned to use a real painting knife! Hope this helps! Clareen

Charlie's Mum
11-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi again Clareen.
You do make me smile - living life at a rate of knots; I can imagine you rushing through everything, a touch of dusting perhaps as you hurry by, talking on the phone while doing a hundred and one other things.......never mind dashing off the odd post here and in AMAE forum! I am a few years younger than you are (same decade!) but you make me go Phew! Hang on just a minute, let me catch my breath!!!!!!!! I'm not sure I could ever catch up with you! :eek: :D
I just hope you keep painting and posting here for many years to come - I love looking at your work :D

Clareen Barrett
11-17-2004, 08:20 PM
And it's me again Maureen!! Rushing yes! Dusting no! If fact have been neglecting house horribly and must get to it before my daughters turn me into the board of health! Or husband moves into the garage!!! By the way what does AMAE stand for? Is it like lol? Thanks for all your good comments! Clareen

Charlie's Mum
11-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Sorry it's taken so long to reply to this Clareen -
AMAE, like WDE is WC!-speak for
All Media Arts Events,
Weekend, Drawing Events,
Wet Can........oops, you know that one already!!!!

Try this one - ROFLMHO.....or ROFLMBO............and if you can't work it out I'll provide a graphic!!!!!!! :D

Seal
11-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Hi Clareen

Just love, love, love your work. I have been using acrylics for some time but still get bogged down in detail and would really love to loosen up and produce something half as wonderful as your work. I am inspired!
Will keep watching

:wave:

lazurus
11-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Wow, how did I miss this thread. Great work. I love the fast impressionistic approach and settings. Do you ever paint without using a reference photo?

Albert Wagner
11-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Excellent. I love your use of color to really capture the light. Personally, I would prefer more detail in the foreground objects. e.g. in the first image the foreground trees should have at least the same level of detail as the windows in the buildings.

Clareen Barrett
11-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi to Maureen...Help! all I can come up with is "Riot Of Fun..Laughed My Head Off ! How close am I? Must tell you , we lived in San Francisco bay Area, there was a well know columnist who always referred to LOL's (little old ladies, very negative..anyone that wore white shoes ANYTIME, etc.!) I like "laughed out loud "much better.
And Albert! your input was so right on! I realy appreciate a critique that gives definite ways to improve a piece. Wish I had the painting to redo the trees but unfortunately (and fortunately) it has been sold as is!! I have trouble ever signing a piece, because it means I am satisfied with it! Always think it could be improved. I have 3 paintings sold that have to go back & sign, two of them out of town! Please keep suggestions coming..never had formal training and never too old to learn! Love to all, Clareen

Bertoni
11-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Clareen:
These paintings make me want to update my passport and head to Italy and paint!!! :)

Charlie's Mum
11-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi Clareen -
ROFLMHO = Rolls on Floor Laughing My head Off,
ROFLMBO = .. .. .. .. .. .. ..--------you fill in the gap!!! :evil:
Here are a couple of animations for you
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2004/30494-11613-Laghing_my_A_off.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2004/30494-11613-Laughin_My_Butt_Off.gif_small

That'll keep you smiling for a while! :D