PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Hedgerow.

Charlie's Mum
11-04-2004, 05:15 PM
I did this for the October Project - I'm posting it as a separate thread also just to remind those who haven't yet submitted their work, that it would be nice to see their efforts!!!!!!!!! :evil: :D

It's on W/c paper, 16x12ins, and painted from life - well, from stuff collected from the hedges around our village, but painted in the warmth of indoors!

Hope you don't mind me "double posting" - just want to tweak some consciences!!!!!! :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/30494-Autumn_hedge__mounted_3JPG.JPG

Thanks for looking! :)

Georgi
11-04-2004, 06:11 PM
This is great, Maureen...I love the composition, colours...well done.

As usual...wonderful work. :)

Lee :)

Lady Carol
11-04-2004, 06:40 PM
If you are tweeking consciences....you have tweeked mine :o . I'm a bit slow with getting it finished so you are just going to have to wait.

And you know what they say...the best is saved for last :evil: :evil: :angel:

Lady Carol
11-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Oh! And I got so carried away with the :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: that I forgot to say this is a very nice painting.

Charlie's Mum
11-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks Lee, glad you like it! :D

Charlie's Mum
11-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks Carol - must have Xposted there!
I'm about ready to start your project now!!!!! :D

Marty C
11-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi Maureen,
This is a delicate and charming piece, nicely balanced. Love the background colour, a perfect foil for your hedgerow.

paloma
11-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Hi Maureen,
This piece has such delicacy - just so lovely & exquisite colouring too. Not a lot of us seem to have finished the Autumn/ Spring thread I notice !!! Are we talking about the same thread? Alexandra

damar
11-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I really like this one. Interesting detail, and nice use of color. I especially like the washed look of the background.
(It would make a nice greeting card print too!)

Charlie's Mum
11-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks Marty - I appreciate you looking and commenting :D

Alexandra - yes, this is from the Project, tho' this is a separate thread.....the Project has its' own thread, accessed via the project details page. I'm hoping this will jog some memories!!!!! :D Thank you for your comments :)

Damar - the card idea is already in the pipeline - thank you for the suggestion tho'! ...and thanks for the comments :D
For interest's sake, the background colours were washed on with sponge from pre-mixed washes; that helps to get a smooth gradation of colour.

damar
11-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Damar - the card idea is already in the pipeline - thank you for the suggestion tho'! ...and thanks for the comments :D
For interest's sake, the background colours were washed on with sponge from pre-mixed washes; that helps to get a smooth gradation of colour.

Thanks for the info on the background. I struggle with large area's (mostly backgrounds) because of the speed of drying. I have a WIP at this time where I should have washed in the sky prior to sketching the composition on the canvas.. As a result, I got a non-transparent looking sky. It looks dense/flat (too heavily painted). I just got ahead of myself with the sketch.
I have used natural sponge and also 1 to 2 inch wide brushes for getting the background in.
Back in my oil days, I wasn't afraid to experiment because I could always wash it away with turp if I didn't like the results. Acrylics are a challenge, but worth the effort!
:)

bjcpaints
11-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Maureen, This is really lovely. I would love to hang it on my wall. Thanks for the tip on sponging in the background!
Barbara

Charlie's Mum
11-05-2004, 03:23 PM
What a lovely compliment Barbara - thank you! :)

Damar - (sorry I don't know your name!) - for acrylics I use a synthetic sponge (actually, a square thing from a jewellery box!). It doesn't ruin the good w/c sponges and seems to be satisfactory! :D