PDA

View Full Version : Self-Portrait

jay_khemani
11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I spent about 4-5 hours on this self-portrait. I tried a new style of making digital artwork, using Macromedia Flash. I first pasted the original image in 1 layer, and sketched out the outline in another. Then made patches all over and colored them with my own colors. Once completed, exported the artwork to PS and worked on the shadows using the burn tool, used the blur tool, and added the cool sunglasses :cool:.

- Jay

PS: There is a way in Flash to 'Trace Bitmap', that would create similar patchwork vectored art. But in case anyone was wondering, nope, I didn't use that coz it's unpredictable and inaccurate in getting the choice of details and colors I managed drawing it by hand (or mouse).

CAlex
11-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Wow. I love it. I wish I can draw pictures in Flash which is as good as yours.

The reason I don't use Photoshop anymore is because Flash can create simple pictures so much faster and easier. I mostly do web graphics so Photoshop just doesn't work for me. I use Photoshop only when I'm editing Photos.

Anyway, a lot of Flash stuff I see on the net doesn't use lines. They just use fills (patches of colors without lines?). But how did you do it? I know you can make irregular shapes with pen + line + arrow tool but it is very time-consuming. Did you do that with a tablet?

jay_khemani
11-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Wow. I love it. I wish I can draw pictures in Flash which is as good as yours.

The reason I don't use Photoshop anymore is because Flash can create simple pictures so much faster and easier. I mostly do web graphics so Photoshop just doesn't work for me. I use Photoshop only when I'm editing Photos.

Anyway, a lot of Flash stuff I see on the net doesn't use lines. They just use fills (patches of colors without lines?). But how did you do it? I know you can make irregular shapes with pen + line + arrow tool but it is very time-consuming. Did you do that with a tablet?

Thanks CAlex, ya it was really time consuming.. you need to create the main outlines of the subject first, then keep on making more detailed outlines on the inside according to the color changes. So a blue shaded area would be one patch, a different shade as another area, and so on. That's why it took about 4-5 hours to do this one, considering it may look a lil too simple though.

Once that's done, open your color palette and fill 'er up. Then I erased the lines, leaving just patchwork without border lines. Then move the completed one to photoshop and touch it up. Even I prefer creating my artwork in other softwares such as Flash or Illustrator and importing it into PS to workup on it.

And well, I don't have a tablet as yet, used the normal mouse. Kinda used to it, used it for so many years now without even knowing a tablet existed! But truthfully, I'd prefer the tablet anytime. :)

- Jay

CAlex
11-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Wow. That's exactly how I do it. So there IS NO easy way to do it.
Yeah... Flash is slow. But Flash can make pictures that are very hard to do in Photoshop or by hand.
I uploaded some simple pictures I made in Flash. The first picture below is a horse's head which is half-finished (I didn't trying to draw a real horse or unicorn, I know it looks weird :D ). The second one is the logo of my site. I left the lines on that one.

Edit: Attachments

themanda
11-06-2004, 04:50 PM
good work!