PDA

View Full Version : Blue Vase

llis
11-07-2001, 03:42 PM
This image is a bit blurry..... and that helps this painting look better. The original has bold colors and I did try to color correct in my photo image software, but the result is still not as bold as the original painting. I am not so much concerned with the colors used ...but if you could give me composition, vaule, or any other direction you would take this painting, I would appreciate it.

I think I am struggling with trying to make my paintings look more painterly. I tend to get really stiff and I don't want that. How about the back edge of the table.... is that a good place to make it, or would it look better lower on the canvas?

auntie_chaos
11-07-2001, 04:07 PM
As for the vase and flowers ... I'd love to have them on my table!! Beautiful! As for the back edge of the table maybe I'd put it abit lower ... otherwise it's looks like you're looking more down on the vase whereas the vase is saying you're looking more straight on. I didn't even notice it at first glance anyways. :) I'm not a painter ... just my opinion since you brought it up. :)

MKathleen
11-07-2001, 07:41 PM
llis: What I see at this point in your painting
I agree about lowering the table height. I would recommend lowering it down to about where the top of the left yellow-green value is indicated. I would put a line across the top of that value and see how it looks to you. I think I would just all but have the table line fade out into the background.
You might also want to think about a couple of other areas also. The violet flower in the middle with the dark ringed areas around it seems isolated. The flower in front of the bottom of the vase would look better off center. I would recommend moving it to the right side of the vase ( and have it over-lap the vase slightly) and adding a third violet small flower/or peddle.
I think you have the beginnings of a very nice painting I'd like some of those flowers to please--:D
Best,
MKathleen

Phyllis Rennie
11-07-2001, 08:53 PM
Hi Llis! Couple more suggestions in addition to those above. It may be the photo but.....check to make sure your vase is straight and symetrical. And I would tone down the white flower -top right- to merge it with the background somewhat. And then darken the value of the tulips on the right side. Since they are on the shadow side, they need to be darker than the same specie on the light side.

Nice rendering of the flowers--one of my favorite subjects!! Phyl

Lulu
11-08-2001, 05:07 AM
Lovely flowers Llis :) and good teaching points for me too in the replies.

LarrySeiler
11-08-2001, 01:36 PM
Sometimes...its simple an aesthetic principle which says, "less is more"

I've been recording on my own new software musically. I laid down a guitar lead over the rhythm and vocals, and upon play back realized that too much lead was distracting from the vocals and threatening the coherency of the whole song to work together.

I cut and edited some lead tracks that were throwing a lot of notation in, and re-recorded less lead notes with more sustain. The result was a nice blend. A complement to the song.

It works like that with painting as well. Sometimes we think a painter known as a "colorist" is so for having a lot of color. Truth is...the colorist understands that if everything is shouting, nothing gets heard. Its knowing what the minimal amount of color, light, darks, detail..etc., is needed to manipulate and convince the eye.

If many surroundings are more neutralized or greyed down...the existing color that is left alone appears THAT much more colorful by comparison. Of course, we can tweak a bit of the complementary into the neutrals to assist, but...sometimes an explosion of color works against the power of simplicity.

Also, as far as brushwork...use the largest brush possible. That is, any brush larger and you could not paint at all. Squint eyes....Squint, squint, squint, squint, squint, squint!!! When you achieve what is convincing with the eyes squinted, do not go beyond that. It makes the work thereafter stagnant. It chokes the life out of it.

Watch your edges. Painterly painters are as nuts about edges as guitarists are about tone. Rounded edges ought to be scumbled...blurred, rubbed out. When you lay a stroke of color down...leave it alone. Set a time limit to force yourself to become spontaneous and then don't expect to get all this down in one, two, or even thirty paintings. After about 120 paintings, you'll be getting it!

-Larry

animal
11-30-2001, 03:10 PM
llis, I agree with all the other comments. I especially like the colours of the flowers. :angel: