PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Card

Meldy
11-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi! I am going to be cross-posting this in Illustration and Colored Pencil.

I am working on a colored pencil of a wreath for our company’s Christmas card. I am leaving the company logo out of the center, but it is going to be a golden like the type and transparent. This is the second big project that I have been asked to do at my job (the first being an Oil Pastel) and I am really excited about it. I am going to be browsing the forum to get more information, but also wanted your experienced input since I haven’t done a colored pencil since I was a sophomore in college (graduated in 1999) but I know that it will be like getting back on a bicycle (as long as I re-read the manual before getting back on!) And all other comments regarding design and anything else are very much welcomed. I am seasoned at handling criticism and don’t break easily at all.

I will be using Prismacolor pencils and will be working on green paper. The actual size of the wreath alone will be 16” x 16” not including the rest of the composition. I don’t have a ton of questions YET but will be looking into burnishing techniques, how to keep vibrancy of colors on green paper (maybe underlying white first – not even sure what the issue will be until I get a test strip of the actual paper that I will be using), and any and all other techniques that would be applicable to this piece.

This is the mockup that I have created in Photoshop for the approval process. (It was approved last week and I am going shopping for paper and any other supplies later this afternoon.)

Thanks a bunch!!!

TedDawson
11-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Dang, I thought this was the final piece! It's very nice.

I think some could probably argue that the green on green isn't definitive enough, but I like it that way. I don't think I've ever used this word before, but it's very sublime! To make sure, I looked it up:

sub·lime, v. su-'blIm
Function: verb
Latin, to elevate

1 : to cause to pass directly from the solid to the vapor state and condense back to solid form

2 [French sublimer, from Latin sublimare] a (1) : to elevate or exalt especially in dignity or honor (2) : to render finer (as in purity or excellence) b : to convert (something inferior) into something of higher worth
intransitive senses : to pass directly from the solid to the vapor state

Meldy
11-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ted! You are very uplifting! :)

I just purchased some drawing paper that is green in the mid/light range so that I can get my contrast in the light and dark areas with the colored pencil. I will be spending the rest of today and tomorrow fine tuning and transfering. I will post it as a WIP.

Sublime.. I like it. hee hee.

designbyjen
11-01-2004, 09:38 PM
hey...glad to 'see' you again;)
i like your mock-up a ton too. i will be watching intently as colored pencil is a technique i never gave a fighting chance. so i value the learning potential here!
~~~jen

Meldy
11-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks Jen - good to see you again too. Been so busy - and it is my day job that has brought me here and not my free time. But I contribute it to being a perk. :) I hope that this thread is informative! I havn't done a colored pencil in years but that isn't going to stop me now!

AFM159
11-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Wow! I thought the pic was the final too! The color scheme works well, I've seen similar before, formal, serene, sublime. I think it will work well for a corporate card. It'll be interesting to see with the company logo.

Meldy
11-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey guys - man I can't tell you how long it took to trasfer this sucker! *phew* Anyway I have started on it. Right now I have been slowly buillding up values (took a couple of areas farther to see how I would handle different color situations.) The shadows will take many layers and I don't want to rush em! Tomorrow I will be focusing on the top half a little more. Try to work this up at the same time as much as possible.

Meldy
11-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I know it has been a while but here is the wreath again... a more detailed account of my journey is in the colored pencil forum. This image is a bit harsh and I will have to take a picture in better light later. It is almost finished.

After I do finish the CP I will be dropping it into Photoshop onto another background.