PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Month #11 November 2004 (John Singer Sargent)

dcorc
11-01-2004, 12:14 PM
This month we look at John Singer Sargent (1856 1925)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2004/30792-Self-Portrait.jpg

And his painting Venetian Interior c.1880 1882 26.875 x 34.25 inches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/46838-venetian_interior.jpg

High resolution image here: http://www.artrenewal.org/images/artists/s/SARGENT_John_Singer/Sargent_Venetian_Interior.jpg

Our preliminary discussion thread is here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224634

There are excellent resources online about Sargent, so I refer you to those for far more detail than could be reasonably posted here:

Biography:
http://jssgallery.org/Biography/Biography.htm

An extensive online catalogue of his paintings, at:
http://artrenewal.com/asp/database/art.asp?aid=187&page=1

Detailed description and analyses of his working methods:
http://jssgallery.org/Essay/Articles/Apollo/Apollo1998.html
and
http://www.goodbrush.com/misc/painting_lessons/sargent.pdf

Sargent had a background in Academic Classicism from his teacher Carolus-Duran. He studied, and was influenced by, the bravura work of Velasquez and Hals, combining all these influences with aspects of Impressionism (he visited Monet).

To see Sargent paintings in real life is an unforgettable experience. The masterful way that broad bold bravura brushwork falls into place to photographic effect, as one steps back a little way from the painting's surface, is simply electrifying.

Dave

Jaysen
11-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Well, I started early warming up for this assignment. Here's my extra credit project so far...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2004/46838-venetian3.jpg

For information on the techniques used, see the Sargent thread in the Oil Painting forum.

Squib
11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Jaysen - to the top of the class ;) . I'm still wondering if I want to do this or not :confused:

Jaysen
11-01-2004, 02:27 PM
You should definitely do it, Lorraine. The freedom of brush and paint is such a release from the tight bouguereau work. All the scumbling and scraping and slopping paint around is a lot of fun. I like my new painting more than the Bougie and it has only taken me three settings.

Squib
11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Right - you've convinced me. The Boogie nearly killed me :crying: .

What size canvas do you recommend ? I'll go buy one tomorrow.

Edit : Oops - I see Dave has already given the dimensions. I think I will try to go the actual size - or near as I can get to it. Here we go again - the stress !!! :wink2:

Icre8art
11-01-2004, 08:27 PM
THe link you posted wouldn't work for me.
I found one that is great with much more color than the one you posted.
Check it out!

http://members.tripod.com/%7EBDenda/Sargent3.html
:clap:

Also,
If you want to see John Singer Sargent's full body of work arranged in years of his life and narrated, go to this link, as I was lost in his work for a long time tonight.

http://jssgallery.org/

Squib
11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
I've bought my canvas and am about to start on my sketch. As Jason said somewhere - not much to sketch. I could only get a 30" x 20" canvas.

I had to laugh when I read this peice of information (at http://www.jssgallery.org/Resources/Forum/Forum_Sargent%27s_Method.htm)

He disapproved (Miss Heyneman continues) of my palette and brushes. On the palette the paints had not been put out with any system. "You do not want dabs of colour," he said, "you want plenty of paint to paint with." Then the brushes came in for derision. "No wonder your painting is like feathers if you use these." Having scraped the palette clean he put out enough paint so it seemed for a dozen pictures. "Painting is quite hard enough" he said "without adding to your difficulties by keeping your tools in bad condition. You want good thick brushes that will hold the paint and that will resist in a sense the stroke on the canvas." Emphasis mine - Lorraine

Lately, I am so MEAN with my paint ! It is very expensive here in the UK ! Guess I'll have to really s..q..u..e..e..z..e out the tubes for this one. :)

Any advice on the palette will be appreciated.

(Thank goodness there are no detailed faces !)

Jaysen
11-02-2004, 04:07 PM
The pallete is very sparce.... for the companion painting I used burnt umber, prussian blue, and a bit of yellow ochre for toning the canvas. For the palette, I used flake white, cadmium red, alizaron crimson lake extra (for the scarves), ivory black, raw umber, burnt umber, burnt sienna, prussian blue, and cadmium yellow. Heavy emphasis on flake white, raw umber, and ivory black.

loop
11-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Fianlly.. November and Mr. Sargent :)

for the Palette I was thinking wh, Y.O. , Vermillion, Terre-Verte, and Ivory Black.

black and white scrubbed onto a toned board, just shooting for position and general light and dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2004/6307-sgt_web.jpg

the image is kinda crappy, but the others CLEARly showed all the errors :p

DLGardner
11-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Looks like I'm going to be a little late getting started on this one but I will definately do it. I love Sargeant!

Dave, did you see this piece in person?
Is this a good color copy? My monitor shows a lot of terra cotta color, purples and dark umbers. Is it true to life? If so, I see cad orange, burnt umber and vermillion with some cobalt green to tint. There's some ultramarine blue or cobalt blue in there too.

Can't wait to get started but I have a commission going right now.

Dianne

dcorc
11-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Hi Dianne - no, I haven't seen this one personally - it's at:

Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Who's close by? any volunteers to go have a look at it in person, and report back?

Dave

Jaysen
11-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Sorry, the only ones even remotely close to me are in the Biltmore in Asheville, about 250 miles away and costs $40 per person just to get in. I guess the National gallery in Washington is somewhat close by, and I believe the breakfast in the loggia is there.

Here's the three different images I found online.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-Venetian_Interior_jss.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-venetian_interior_kings.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-venetian_interior_lyons.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-venetian_interior.jpg

dcorc
11-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi Jaysen - that makes me feel extremely lucky that I live in London, where there are galleries with walls full of Sargents, which can all be visited for free.

Dave

Squib
11-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Which is where I plan to go at the weekend ! :D

Carey Griffel
11-04-2004, 05:59 PM
C'mon, people! I checked in at this thread expecting at least a dozen already completed! :D

Thanks for the info and links. I'll definitely do this one after I someday finish my October MOM. (I was about to say when I estimate that to be, but then realized that if I typed it out, it would inevitably take me longer! :D )

I'm expecting this one to be a definite change of pace. I'm not going to allow myself to take a lot of time on this one and I'll be doing it smaller than the original, 16x20, but my goal will be to loosen up my brushstrokes and try to get in more of a habit of mixing my colors on my palette rather than on the canvas. I'm really looking forward to this!

~!Carey

Jaysen
11-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, hmmm... I've still gotta finish my sister's portrait, completely repaint my brother's probably, and finish my sargent warm-up. So, maybe by monday, hehe.

loop
11-05-2004, 03:57 PM
C'mon, people! I checked in at this thread expecting at least a dozen already completed! :D

~!Carey

WHAT..you don't like mine.. are you saying it's unfinished ?? how rude :evil:

just kidding :p

Carey Griffel
11-06-2004, 01:06 AM
WHAT..you don't like mine.. are you saying it's unfinished ?? how rude :evil:

LOL...well, loop, you're definitely ahead of the game this month! Doing all of those last month must've really unlocked something in you, eh? ;) Uh-ohhhh.....

~!Carey

WV.Artistry
11-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Fianlly.. November and Mr. Sargent :)

Do you think the girl standing in the doorway is reminiscent to his nude Egyptian, except with clothes?

loop
11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Do you think the girl standing in the doorway is reminiscent to his nude Egyptian, except with clothes?

I must admit, I may not know to which you are referring, but, if I do, she does seem to have that same contiplative posturing. Probably NOT looking onto the Nile though :D

I planned on doing mine in three stages, two of which are just to get the light/shadows correct, as they seem to be most important in this scene, color is almost non-existant. the third and (hopefully) final stage will be for PAINTing trying for some brushstrokes and thicker application...I Usually shoot for that right from the start, this one I am thinking more, and trying to improve the final results by being more "value attentive"

I belive this is the end of stage two, please feel free to give pointers
16"X20" board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2004/6307-sgt2_web.jpg

TruEnuff
11-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Loop....you are off to another great start! Already your painting has captured a good deal of the mood.

This is one I really want to do. I had thought I might approach it as a direct painting, and, after the Bouguereau of October, I was looking forward to a change of pace! Now Loop has me thinking.....always a dangerous sign!

Keep Painting! :wave:

Bruce

WV.Artistry
11-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I must admit, I may not know to which you are referring, but, if I do, she does seem to have that same contiplative posturing. Probably NOT looking onto the Nile though :D

Impressive start!

Okay, I admit that I liked Bladerunner . . . I thought this might be the same girl.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2004/50986-test.jpg

Florian
11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Loop, great start! The reflection on the floor looks already good. :clap:

I like this painting, have no time to join this month bud will be here to watch.

Florian :wave:

Carey Griffel
11-06-2004, 06:21 PM
WOW, loop, this is incredible! You've really done a fabulous job already!!

~!Carey

dcorc
11-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Loop - :clap: :clap: Coming along superbly!

Richard - I think you've definitely spotted something there - very keen-eyed - certainly the hairstyle and the jawline look very similar.

Dave

Squib
11-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Excellent Loop. You have a head start on all of us. You have captured the mood of the painting already, and your values seem great.

Is it just me, or does it seem that everyone is having a hard time getting started on this one ? I've done a rough sketch, but that's it ! Will have to push myself and get the basics in this week.

dcorc
11-07-2004, 03:50 PM
hi Lorraine - can only speak for myself - but at the moment I've got a list of other tasks I really need to clear, first :eek: - I've very much looking forward to having a go at the Sargent, but I doubt it's going to happen before mid-month. Just need more hours in the day! :)

Dave

Squib
11-07-2004, 04:09 PM
I know just how that feels at the moment Dave. And with daylight going so early, it's really hampering me. My lighting is awful at night. I really need to invest in some good lamps, if Father Christmas is listening. Oops - I already asked for a dishwasher - what a decision - dishwasher or lamps to paint under. I wonder what I will choose ? :evil:

TruEnuff
11-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem that everyone is having a hard time getting started on this one ? I've done a rough sketch, but that's it ! Will have to push myself and get the basics in this week.

Lorraine....It isn't just you. I haven't even selected a canvas size yet! It's almost as though that beautiful but oh-so-difficult Bouguereau last month took it all out of me...I have to refuel! I do want to paint this Sargent though. If I make a decent effort of it, it might make a good Holiday gift. I'll try to use that as motivation!

Keep Painting! :wave:

Bruce

guillot
11-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Oops - I already asked for a dishwasher - what a decision - dishwasher or lamps to paint under. I wonder what I will choose ? :evil:

The Lamps!! The Lamps!! Make hubby do the dishes :evil: Just kidding :)

Loop - You have a fantastic start on this one !!! Your palette choices are working most definitely !!!

I'm with Carol - would've expected quite a show in numbers by now ..... Whassss Upppp?

I'm really trying to finish my borgies, but will hopefully get this one done in one weekend ( :rolleyes: That's what I'm shooting for anyways ..... Dang! Now that I've typed it - does that mean it won't happen, LOL? )

Tina

Carey Griffel
11-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Dang! Now that I've typed it - does that mean it won't happen, LOL?

Hehe, Tina, if you're anything like me, it won't happen now! :evil: But, wait, now that *I've* said that, then perhaps it will counteract what *you* said and--whoa, my head's starting to spin. ;)

I have a feeling that we'll have a lot of these by the end of the month, but it's not the type of project (thank goodness! :) ) that requires the entire month...very good choice on the moderators's parts to intersperce (is that spelled right? lol) these like this!

~!Carey

loop
11-08-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how they grafted the foot onto that girl's arm :D

Jaysen
11-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, I've finished my preliminary study of the simular painting. Unfortunately, I've lost my home internet access. So, no pic yet. I took out my huge canvas with the sketch for the MOM and toned it last night. I used turpentine as a medium and almost knocked myself out with the fumes.

Where are all the MOMsters? Please don't be intimidated by this painting. The goal is NOT to make a duplicate of the work. The goal is to learn something about Sargent's techniques and to develope your skills with loose brushwork. So, don't worry about getting all those details and images perfect. Work on Sargent / Duran's minimalist theology of painting.

bravynn
11-10-2004, 09:31 AM
yeppers Loop...you've got it going on :) :clap:

Don't know yet if I'll try this one. Might just do it! I've always loved Sargent's paintings. I'm STILL working on the Bougie whenever I get some free time. I know the more I paint, the better I get. [in time...in time]

:D

I really value the visual updates, and the artists' input on what they're doing, and how they work some things out that aren't jiving. Very helpful!

How long have you been painting Loop? you're pretty goooooood

Barb [in TN] :-)

bravynn
11-10-2004, 09:37 AM
hmmm..16x20 looks like it might be a good size for me when I make the attempt

Any bigger, and I feel like I might waste paint. Guess Sargent would cringe at that comment ay? :D

Loose painterly strokes sounds good to me!

I'll be watching regardless of whether I do the painting or not.

Barb [TN]

Jaysen
11-10-2004, 04:54 PM
BTW, don't get stuck into thinking you need to do this painting in multiple stages. All evidence lends to this being a 1-2 session painting. I would not be surprised to find out Sargent had completed this painting in one session. Looking at it closely, you can see his final strokes blending into those below somewhat. Sargent was a very impulsive painter. He would work and struggle till his perfect idea was realized, then would attack the painting working very quickly till it was completed. It was said that he could complete a life size portrait in a week, once he had worked out the composition and posing of the subject. That's a 8 ft X 5 ft painting. This one was about half that size, and much less detailed.

guillot
11-12-2004, 08:24 AM
How big did you say you were going on this Jaysen?

Barb (in TN :D - my homestate btw !! ) I'm still working the Borgie too but looking forward to doing this one. I'm hoping two sessions will do it, although I would love to do it in one.

by Carey G ... Hehe, Tina, if you're anything like me, it won't happen now! But, wait, now that *I've* said that, then perhaps it will counteract what *you* said and--

EXACTLY !! :D LOL Isn't that the way it goes?

Tina

Jaysen
11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm doing it slightly larger than the original, at 30" x 36".

DLGardner
11-12-2004, 08:24 PM
I already have the print out up in the studio and I'll be starting this one tomorrow if I have time, if not, Monday. I think a lot of people are still working on number 10. I didn't want to be the first one done on Sargeant. I missed a lot of the action last time I finished first.

See ya soon.

Dianne

Squib
11-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi all :wave: ,

Waiting to see how everyone is doing ! I have finally made a start on mine (to the strains of Dire Straits & Simply Red - loud :music: :music: ) !!! I am just working on the placement and values at the moment. Did anyone say this would be easier than the Boogie ??? Jaysen, was it you ? HUH ! I will carry on tonight for another couple of hours, and hopefully be able to lay out my palette tomorrow and dive right in - loose brushwork....loose brushwork.....loose brushwork.....loose brushwork......

P.S. - tomorrow will be one of the happiest days of my year - my DISHWASHER arrives at 9am - woohoo - more time for painting !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/35948-v-i.JPG

bravynn
11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Tina -- another Tennessean huh........kewlies! I worked on my Borgie tonight. Did some of the background. Definitely buying one or two standup OTT lights soon. Cloudy days and late nights doesn't make the best painting times for me. I need to look at Florian's 'folds' demonstration of how she does the material. [Thank you Florian!] Had to set ol' Borgie up on the mantel of the fireplace to make room for Sarge! I printed off the original Sargent painting, and sketched out the basic lines on a 24x30 I had in the art supply stash I always have. :)

Lorraine -- nice start there...and congrats on getting the dishwasher you've been drooling over. *bigGrin* ;)

Dianne -- glad you will be joining in. I always enjoy everyones' paintings.

Bruce -- maybe you'll get a chance to paint an Xmas gift. *g*

Jaysen -- I always keep my eye on you, not only b/c I enjoy seeing your paintings, but also your comments and as well as to see what you're up to. *smiling* BusyBee You!

I'm in the stage of 'seeing' what colors I want to paint this in, and to decide on that, then I'll dive in and go for it. I'm not allowing anything to intimidate me. I started to Borgie, didn't I? Either very brave, or.... well, I want to learn how to paint. hehe I didn't use the usual phrase that comes after OR on the beginning of this sentence, b/c I know I'm not ignorant. LOL

Dianne, btw, I know the feeling of your quote about your mind that you use. *smile* I manage.

Will try to get more done so I can do a 'show n tell' soon.

Barb [in TN] :)

Squib
11-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi All,

Well - I managed to get 2 hours painting in this morning, and will have another go this evening. This is NOT as easy as it looks (for me anyway). I'm doing a lot of scrubbing, trying to establish the colours - difficult - I'm getting mud in places. Is that a book the girl on the left is holding in her hand ??? It looks like it, but not clearly. I have assumed it is.

(Barb - I can't stop grinning - the dishwasher has landed ! There are 7 of us in this household, me, hubby, daughter, son-in-law, two grandchildren and my mother. We have a big house, and a LOT of dishes to wash - and guess who ends up washing them while the family all rush off here and there ??? Right ! So this is a lifesaver for me.)

Here's the update after 2 hours. Excuse the glare. I'll try to get a better update later when its drier. So much for "alla prima" !!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2004/35948-vi.JPG

loop
11-15-2004, 10:37 AM
SQUIB ... looking fantastic... this is definatly one of those that "looks" easier than it is.

thanks on the comments on mine everyone, it looks the same, I want it to really dry before the next attack.

and someone asked how long I have been painting.. this X-mas will be the two year anniversary of getting some canvas for a present.... :)

Carey Griffel
11-15-2004, 01:17 PM
this X-mas will be the two year anniversary of getting some canvas for a present.... :)

...And life was never the same again. :D

Squib, great job on yours so far! And congratulations on the dishwasher! :D That must be soooo nice! :)

I'm still thinking that I'll do this...sometime......

~!Carey

Jaysen
11-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Looking great, Lorraine! Don't worry too much about getting mud here and there. There's a lot of "mud" in the original as well. I think I used an interesting technique during all this. You paint a very thin coat as a base, let it dry a few minutes, then scrub most of it off. Then, go back with the top layer paint and scumble right on top of the remnant, pretty thickly. I think that's how he did the reflected light on the floor.

I like your walls and floor, Lorraine. Good illusion of debth. The women are also taking shape and are very believable as part of the setting. I said at the first that the most difficult part of this painting would be making the figures look like they belong, and you're achieving this marvelously.

I think we'll all be playing catchup with Lorraine and Loop on this one.

vmidushi
11-16-2004, 01:32 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed my tour here today... Great work, guys. It is so awesome to come on here and watch artists, which I am not, at work with their hands and minds. I almost feel like I have been in the room with Jaysen today.
I'll be keeping an eye on yours, Lorraine. I already love the way you made that floor jump out and light up the room.
Vickie :wave:

Squib
11-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks Loop, Carey, Jaysen & Jaysen's Mom ! :wave:

I have not done any more on my painting since the last update - life again - it interrupts my painting sessions. Thanks for the advice on the method Jaysen. I'll try that. I think I am a bit too light with this. I'll have to tone it down, and also, the girls are not subdued enough (we never are), so will work on that too. It actually looks a lot better on the monitor than it does in real life. :( My daughter loves it already, and want to have it when its done.

I'll be able to do another couple of hours tomorrow (Wednesday). Thursday I'm off to Gatwick, a couple of hours each way - (my mother returns to Zimbabwe for the winter - well...summer there, winter here. She follows the sun !) I hope to have this finished by the end of the weekend. Then I may do another Sargent. Or maybe a Waterhouse. My goodness Dave, is that canvas 5 feet wide ??? :eek: I could lie flat on it and you could draw round me !!!!

Is that a book the girl on the left is holding ???? Anyone ????

Squib
11-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I have just blown up my reference (not literally), and have just noticed that the girl on the right (our right) is holding the book - or whatever it is, and the girl on our left has her hands folded across her lower abdomen and has a handbag (or reticule), or parasol, over her left arm. I think. I need new glasses :cool: . Help, anyone ? :confused:

marshallgh
11-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Sorry, the only ones even remotely close to me are in the Biltmore in Asheville, about 250 miles away and costs $40 per person just to get in. I guess the National gallery in Washington is somewhat close by, and I believe the breakfast in the loggia is there.

Here's the three different images I found online.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-Venetian_Interior_jss.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2004/46838-venetian_interior_kings.jpg

I live in Pittsburgh and I drool over this painting at least twice a month. To my eye and my screen the first two images sited my jaysen are closer to the real thing. the contrast of the light and the shadow really jumps out at you as you approach this painting.

unfortunately i still haven't finished last months MOM and have tooooo much going on at school and work to fit in some art. but some day i will attempt this one.

several months ago i made a special trip to boston just to see all of his works in the museum of fine art. i must have spent 4 hrs in the room they have just for sargent's works. its amazing. but the real amazing thing is to see el jaleo at the gardener museum just aroung the block from the museum of fine art. it is just magnificent! just as you walk into the museum it fills the entire wall of a long and narrow room. i just loved it. i could have stood there all day!

good luck to all. i really hope to join in soon!
terry :wave:

Squib
11-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi there Terry & all :wave: ,

Thanks for the info ! How wonderful to be able to see the original. :envy: Your comments on the contrast certainly help. At least I know I'm heading in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing you join in. :)

sbeckett
11-18-2004, 08:28 PM
This Art Renewal image turned out pretty murky when printed. Every image seems a little different. It would be neat to have a large and portable enough monitor to skip that "data loss".
Felt guilty using black after hearing so often not to ("doesn't exist in nature" etc). Black (or Payne's gray) I used were 30 yrs old- something had a nasty fish smell.
The left figure and balcony were done a day later from the rest. Also the floor reflection was overlaid on 1/2 dry paint -a gooey time waster.
Good to work larger and looser than I'm used to. -Steve

sbeckett
11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
This Art Renewal image turned out pretty murky when printed. Every image seems a little different. It would be neat to have a large and portable enough monitor to skip that "data loss".
Felt guilty using black after hearing so often not to ("doesn't exist in nature" etc). Black (or Payne's gray) I used were 30 yrs old- something had a nasty fish smell.
The left figure and balcony were done a day later from the rest. Also the floor reflection was overlaid on 1/2 dry paint -a gooey time waster.
Good to work larger and looser than I'm used to. -Steve

TruEnuff
11-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Steve,
This is really extraordinarily well done. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to tell it from the original Sargent. If anything, it has a little more life in the darks than the original does....at least, than the original does in the downloads and prints. Congratulations on a fantastic job.

I also offer congratulations on your Bouguereau from October. Another nicely done painting. You picked the same one to copy as I did....a real challenge for me, but one you executed beautifully. Welcome to the forum Steve...you've made a real splash. :wave:

Bruce

Squib
11-19-2004, 03:11 AM
Steve, this is wonderful. Excellent. Just hope mine turns out half as good. How big is it ?

sbeckett
11-20-2004, 12:56 AM
thank you -its 16x20 canvas board
sorry about the double post -dont know what's doing that.
Just started a Waterhouse (Destiny) -gonna be a while though.

marshallgh
11-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Is that a book the girl on the left is holding ???? Anyone ????

I just went to the museum yesterday to take another look.

The two women are walking arm in arm.

For the girl of the left:
she is grasping her left wrist with her right hand.

For the girl on the right.
her left hand is turned backwards and her left wrist is on her left hip.
her right arm is through the left arm of the woman on the left. it appears that the in the right hand (which is coming through the left arm of the woman on the left) of the woman on the right is either a fan or something like a newspaper, or a small stack of papers that she was just viewing before looking the other way.
also, the shawl of the woman on the right appears to have been underpainted with the same crimson that is in the shawls of the two women by the back doorway. i could see the crimson along the outside edges of her shawl. the overpainting is a very dark green (almost black)
her left shoe appears to be covered with a spat.

Other points of interest.

there are 4 figures in the back of the painting. one woman outside the door in a white flowing dress wearing a crimson shawl.
inside the open door way there are two female figures in dresses squating down on the floor. the one on the right is also wearing a crimson shawl. she is facing the viewer of the painting.
the woman on the left (in deeper shadow) appears to be speaking with a child that is right in front of her. the viewer of the painting is seeing this womans right profile in the squating position (face and body). the child is facing her so the viewer is seeing the childs left standing profile.

Other points of interest.
the swatch of light on the floor is very thick impasto.
as is the white and blue in the transom windows over the doorway.

I hope this info is helpful to you all working on this beautiful piece by sargent.

terry :wave:

dcorc
11-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Steve - congratulations on a very impressive copy! :clap:

Terry - thank you for excellent info! Extremely useful (particularly for those of us who still haven't started! :o )

Dave

marshallgh
11-20-2004, 11:56 AM
one more thing...the floor appears to be polished concrete. very shiney.
the hue of the impasto swatch (the reflection light) is like a "naples yellow with some yellow ochre along the outside edges.

terry

Squib
11-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Terry - hoorah - thank you SO much for the info !!!!! I am delighted to read this. :D :D :D It helps so much. I definitely need new glasses. I feel I can carry on now. Thanks again. (How lucky you are to be able to stand in front of it and take notes like this.)

dcorc
11-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Well, since it's the 29th today, I thought it was about time I started mine (if I'm going to complete it within November :p :evil: :eek: )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2004/30792-dcvenint1.jpg

20x16 ins acrylic 'gesso'ed board. Using alkyds for this one - just a turpsy sketch-in in burnt umber.

Dave

dcorc
11-29-2004, 09:38 AM
I found myself with a couple of extra free hours this morning, so I've made a start - pallette: titanium white, ivory black, yellow ochre, burnt umber, cadmium yellow medium, vermilion hue (toluidine red), french ultramarine. All W&N alkyds - done with no.6 bristle filberts. Not very happy with the photo, it's come out looking rather orange, the colour's more a dirty salmon-pink in reality:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2004/30792-dcvenint2.jpg

Dave

DLGardner
11-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Nice start Dave! And I'm right behind you. I really was thinking I wasn't going to get to do this with the holiday, but because you started a day before the due date, I thought well what the hey! I can do that too.

Except my studio got really coooold over the weekend.

Dianne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2004/8002-Sarg.jpg

DLGardner
11-29-2004, 06:50 PM
More work this afternoon. I may just stop here. I just wanted to get the feel for this painting. If I do work on it more, I'm going to have to bring it inside and use the computer screen. My reference print out is not showing any detail. I may find time tomorrow to do it.

How many days in November?

Dianne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2004/8002-Sarg2.jpg

dcorc
11-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi Dianne - nothing like a good bit of lastminute-ism, is there :D Yours has come together very nicely there!

I managed to get another hour or so on mine this morning, and got this far:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2004/30792-dcvenint3.jpg

30 days hath September,
April June and November....

:eek: Hmm.......

Dave

Yokovich
11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
SCREEEECH! screeching in here on the last day to post my November effort! It is night time here so this photo is not the best--I really enjoyed working on this --I didn't think it was such a hot picture UNTIL I started working on it and finding out how pretty gray can be! (to me the room looks warm gray--I would love to see the painting in person--betting it is world's different from my color)--I also enjoyed how he used just those "bits" of strong light--! wow--! anyway--here it is. I am not done yet--I want to improve the shine on the floor and the lady with the book-- but it is 3/4's done--and in November no less!! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2004/33531-sargent1.jpg

Carey Griffel
11-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Just wanted to say to you all...

GREAT JOB!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really think that this month a lot of people have outdone themselves, even though, for whatever reason, it hasn't had all that much participation. Don't know why that is...I'm stuck in a slump myself, which is why I haven't gotten into it...but those of you who have done it, great work!! :)

Given the "unusual" colors of this painting, I'm wondering if anyone found that it helped their color mixing abilites?

Also, do you think that this painting has helped you with brushwork?

I know that such questions can often only be really answered after a time of doing "other" things, but I'd like to hear what some people learned off of this one!

~!Carey

bravynn
12-01-2004, 11:46 AM
I have tried three different times to post my painting in progress, and am trying again.

Great work on those that posted. My painting has a lot more to do to it. I placed the bench in the wrong position, but that can be remedied.

[off topic] - my horse got loose after the bad storm we had last night. He's okay...found him in the barn with some other horses nearby. sighhh Gotta fix that fence! :(

Otherwise.......ThumbsUp you all!!! :)

Barb [TN] Still trying to upload...don't know WHY it won't. hmmm

Yokovich
12-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Barb--thank goodness your horse is alright! whew!
as for your Sargent--I wish I could see it but it is not there! try again? :)
uploading photos (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/)

rwhiteley
12-01-2004, 02:48 PM
John Singer Sargent is one of my all time favorites. I did my version of "Oyster Catchers" last year. Heres a jpeg of it. See attachment. My wife has it in the living room which is the highest accolade it could get.

Yokovich
12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
welcome rwhiteley!! what a great first post!! lovely painting--I can see why she has given it the best spot in the house! You are welcome to paint this Sargent too--even though it is now December! OR join us for the December thread! Glad you found us and shared this beautiful painting with us!

rwhiteley
12-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for your kind words. After I posted I realised what is going on, ie: do the current Master selection, and in the right month !!.
I might have a go at Decembers selection.

Squib
12-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Well done Dave, Dianne and Celestia. Great starts. I am no further with mine ! :mad: Unfortunately I've had no time to paint for the last while. Hubby has been very ill since February, and we are now moving towards chemotherapy. :crying: I'll try to catch up when I can. :wave:

Biki
12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Well done Dave, Dianne and Celestia. Great starts. I am no further with mine ! :mad: Unfortunately I've had no time to paint for the last while. Hubby has been very ill since February, and we are now moving towards chemotherapy. :crying: I'll try to catch up when I can. :wave:

Thoughts & prayers are with you Raine.
May The Divine Beloved hold your hubby close & comfort him.
keep us informed.?

dcorc
12-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Lorraine :eek: - my thoughts and very best wishes are with you and your husband.

Dave

Squib
12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks so much for your kind thoughts. I am more stressed about this than my husband !!!! He is so strong. He actually told me to "Go and paint something - it calms you". He's right. It does. So I have been painting with a vengeance since yesterday. :)

dcorc
12-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Lorraine - as your husband points out, painting's very therapeutic :)

rwhiteley - welcome! very nice rendition of "oyster catchers" - have a go at December's (but come back to this one too! :) )

Dianne, Celestia - very effective paintings, both!

Here's another stage on mine - painting this using paint at straight-out-the-tube consistency, and dry hog-bristle brushes (no solvent or medium at all). Although I'm doing this in sessions, it's "more or less" alla prima, as I'm trying to cover an area in one go, save some accents and highlights.

I'm struck by how much is indicated or suggested here, rather than being actually depicted - there's just enough info to "read right" in many areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2004/30792-dcvenint4.jpg

Dave

Squib
12-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I'm struck by how much is indicated or suggested here, rather than being actually depicted - there's just enough info to "read right" in many areas.

Dave

......which is the problem !! I am having one heck of a job trying to suggest/indicate.

Looking good Dave. I love the light in the room. Really well done.

dcorc
12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks Lorraine!

done a bit more - including some dry-brush dragging on the reflections on the floor.

However, as I currently have The Elephant Man crouching in the corner on the left-hand side, I'll refrain from posting a pic until I've followed JSS's example and done a bit of scraping back! - Have a close look at the brushwork on that figure in the high-res photo - amazing!

Dave

Squib
12-08-2004, 12:30 PM
.....I currently have The Elephant Man crouching in the corner on the left-hand side.....
Dave

My croucher looks like something out of the broom cupboard - a spectre !

Biki
12-08-2004, 02:35 PM

yes - I am trying to figure our main ladies' hand. what is she doing? - playing with the light.?

also - that is a really bad arm, don't you think.?
i am assuming that the second lady has her hands folded in front of her.?

i think this would be hard to paint for these reasons.
you know what you are actually painting.

never the less - i love this painting.

yours looks great so far Dave.

Squib
12-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Biki - yes, the lady on the left has her hands folded in front of her, and the one on the right has her arm through the other gal's arm and appears to be holding papers, or a book. Terry (marshallgh) saw the original, and gave us this vital information (see post 89). It makes a difference to know what you're seeing. I had mine all wrong to begin with. :)

Biki
12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
thanks Raine. (may i call you Raine? - i love that name :) )

post #89? - but we are not up to that yet. maybe in another thread?

Squib
12-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Sorry - its post 56 (Terry's 89th post !!!!)

Yes you may. Most people do (except my mother) :)

Jaysen
12-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey, I'm actually still alive. I haven't had access to the internet much and domestic troubles have kept me away from painting for the past few weeks. I've started my November MOM! Whoot! Better late than never, eh? All I've done so far is tone the canvas a neutral yellow, then blocked in some of the deeper shadows, then smeared in the floor some. I've used Van Dycke brown, prussian blue, and my favourite raw umber. The background was a mix of umber, ochre, and indian red. I wish I would've put in a bit more red. It's such a weak color that the yellow ochre beats it into submission while drying.

Okay... it doesn't look like this connection is fast enough to upload any pics... Guess I'll try that later. Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

Jaysen
12-12-2004, 10:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2004/46838-interior2.jpg

dcorc
12-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi Jaysen - good to see you here again! :clap:

Looks like a good start there.

here's another stage of mine - next one will be last, I guess - still need to work on the heads, and I've still got John Merrick waiting for his Outpatients appointment on the left there :rolleyes: .

Almost all done with bristles - an odd touch of a soft brush here and there, but trying to keep things one-stroke - some dry-brushing for the highlights on the ground.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2004/30792-dcvenint5.jpg

Dave

Squib
12-13-2004, 12:20 PM
..........and I've still got John Merrick waiting for his Outpatients appointment on the left there :rolleyes: .

Dave

LOL :D :D

Carey Griffel
12-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Dave, I want you to know how much I like yours! You've really got a sense of depth and three-dimensionality. Very nice!!

~!Carey

loop
12-14-2004, 09:26 AM
you guys are doing great, I have done almost nothing with mine..but thought I should at least let everybody know I'm not dead.

Dave, yours look like they have spent a lot of time cleaning up the place... where's the dirt :(

dcorc
12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Carey - thank you! :)

Loop - perhaps I'm subconsciously influenced by the fact that we've had builders in, doing the kitchen, for the last 3 weeks :eek:
Now I'm really tempted to give the two central figures mops ! :evil:

Dave

guillot
12-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Beauuuuuuuuutiul Dave !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jaysen
12-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Next installment on the Venetian Interior. Started some color tonight. Still got a long way to go, but at least it's starting to take on some shape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2004/46838-interior3.jpg

Biki
12-18-2004, 01:34 AM
You guys are all doing wonderfully. :clap: :clap: :clap:

as far as i can see, no one has yet put in the drooping canopy thype curtain in the vestibule there at the back. How come.?

I have also noticed that you have all adjusted the oversized figure out the back. in the original, she looks too large in perspective against the two who are squatting.

( grumble, grumble - i wonder if i will ever get time to join in ever again. :crying: )

rwhiteley
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
After trying the December MoM, I really wanted to go back to Sargent. So today while I was gallery sitting at my art co-op, with nobody coming in to the gallery, I was able to spend about four hours painting. I used guache on 150lb wc paper, and spent a lot of time on the drawing. I then washed in layers of what seemed like endless shades of warm and cool grays. Anyway this is the result. I think the whole thing could be much lighter, but difficult to modify it now. :(

Biki
12-21-2004, 08:24 PM
After trying the December MoM, I really wanted to go back to Sargent. So today while I was gallery sitting at my art co-op, with nobody coming in to the gallery, I was able to spend about four hours painting. I used guache on 150lb wc paper, and spent a lot of time on the drawing. I then washed in layers of what seemed like endless shades of warm and cool grays. Anyway this is the result. I think the whole thing could be much lighter, but difficult to modify it now. :(

I think this is splendid. You really caught the light & the mood.
Bravo.

ripper4
12-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Nice Job RW.... Is your Co:Op Gallery West?
I like your work.

Don

rwhiteley
12-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Biki, thanks for your kind words.

Don, thanks also, yes I am at gallery west

Richard

Jaysen
12-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Another 2 hours spent with just a little work done. I was trying to hold a conversation with my wife while painting, so the art suffered a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2004/46838-interior4.jpg

guillot
12-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Very nice Jaysen !!! :clap:

I like your version too rwhiteley !!! :clap:

Tina

Squib
12-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Dave, Jaysen & Richard II - lovely :)

Bioartist
01-01-2005, 06:49 AM
AS this is SO LATE, I did a mini, in which I cropped the painting....focusing on the background where the woman looks into the courtyard?
So here it is...ATC size (3.5x2.5"), oil on canvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2005/43543-After_Sargent_detail_of_venetian_interior.jpg
Anyway, everybodies is magnificant.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stacey