PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Break! 11/01 - 11/08

designbyjen
11-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Illustration Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

Grab a cuppa joe and here we go!
p.s. if you missed the weekend posts...you'll wanna see em', esp. ted's major news: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225526

YEA HAW TED! Congratulations! if anyones got any extra boxes...y'all might wanna bring em' in here for ted. he's gonna need em.

axl...show us your brochure too, when they get done. great news there also.

i'm expecting my software to arrive today 4 my pc *anxious, anxious*. yesterday was leaf bagging day. not much else go'in on here till the software arrives. well, besides raiding the kids candy :P
~~~jen

TedDawson
11-01-2004, 11:14 AM
I have been so good, I haven't snagged one piece of my kids candy... yet. Man, when I was a kid, there was only one house in the whole neighborhood who gave out Hershey bars. That was huge. Everything else was the cheap stuff... which was fine, we loved it, and that's the way it was. But then, the whole neighborhood was packed, crawling with trick-or-treaters. The streets were fairly clear around here, and the few houses that were handing out candy were handing it out by the handfuls, so the kids' buckets were full after only a half-dozen houses or so. My little boy was a Jedi Vampire, and my daughter was, of course, a Princess. I went as a middle-aged guy with poor taste in clothing.

Thanks, Jen! And the boxes will definitely be appreciated.

coolray
11-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey all!

I got my pipin hot coffee here, and it's raining today, so I am inside getting things ready for my trip in less than a week.

Ted, I am so happy for you! Keep us updated will you? The king now has his castle! LOL That is just wonderful.

Well, I leave for NY (state) next Monday. I will be gone for a week and a half, where I am promoting my prints, and seeing new clients. I will also be heading down to KY, and meeting new clients there as well.

It's been a busy few weeks designing art packets, and gearing up for my next painting. I have been doing some ad layouts as well. Like I don't have anything better to do. :)

Well, I must go. Y'all take care!

AFM159
11-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Man - there I go again, miss a few days and the world changes!

Ted - WOW! Congrats on your "Real Job"! That ought to be a fun gig! A couple of years ago I did a quick Marker sketch of a Hotel/Castle! For a small local theme park that never materialized. That really sounds like a fun environment to work in. Especially with several other artists. Are you going to be working in "their" style or do you get more lattitude to do your own thing?

Axl - Congrats on the brochure! We wanna see!

Terry - have fun on your trip!

-------

Ok - so Halloween, your not gonna believe this, but I forgot to take a picture. I know, I'm sorry, I kicked myself for hours.

BUT, let me tell you what I ended up with! At the last minute I scraped my evil undead priest idea, it was too serious (bordering on cliche), I like my costumes to be more silly/fun/original. The party I was going to was Adults only, and I wanted something more fun, as this particular group can get rather wild. So, after some last minute scrounging, I found myself a grass skirt, some cocktail umbrellas, a LOUD Hawian shirt, a Tiki mug (for my drink and cocktail umbrella), a straw hat, some leighs. I painted my face red, got some bloody latex horns for my head, some vampire teeth, and a few other accessories....and..... I was the Devil, on vacation, looking for the buffet! :evil: :D

I still can't believe I forgot to take a picture, this was one of my better ones too! Ah well.....

That was Saturday night, Sunday was a bit more tame. My costume reeeked of smoke from the night before and my stomach couldn't take it so I didn't get redressed for trick-or-treating. My son is too young to care and my daughter was more interested in her own costume and getting candy so she was cool too.

We trick-or-treated those houses that we knew and a few we didn't. My son was Tiger from Winnie-the-Pooh and my daughter was Pocohontas. Our neighborhood was the most active I've ever seen it, lots and lots of people out. The neighborhood directly north of us is fairly well-to-do and has gotten a reputation for good trick-or-treating over the last few years and that has started to spill into ours now. So we trick-or-treated a bit and then went home and answered our door for a while. It was fun, a good year for trick-or-treating.

designbyjen
11-03-2004, 09:21 PM
tonight it is wine my friends. btw...neat to think that ted can move & we're still here...nice perk of w.c.--you get to take comrads wherever you go.
i think i got one pict. --ever, of myself in a costume. looong time ago was in high school i think. did a half & half of a bride...half live, half dead. got a gown at a thrift store. but hey...it's november already & i'm already salivating over the thought of turkey & stuffing. yep...got one of those turkey fryers last year...ohhh, sooooo goood! any of you tried that & managed to Not burn your house/or garage down?
got the computer software yest. 'freehand' & got a 'workshop' flyer done already. had fun finishing that & listening to the election 'bru-ha'. ya, i'm in ohio...but don't blame me for the delay. sounds like i was lucky to have only had a 30-45 min. wait compared to some people waiting 3+ hours! i bet the debate forum is crazy right now...but i'm not gonna go look either...dave can for us all-ha!
i need some new business cards for myself...asta la vista
~~~jen

AFM159
11-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Yes - the Debate Forum is raging! I made the decision to stay out of political threads awhile back, I'll read 'em, but I won't post to 'em, too dangerous! I will, however, gladly participate in other topics! :evil:

Spent yesterday at my daughters school as a "Watch Dog Dad". It is a program in my state where fathers are encouraged to spend one or two days a semester volunteering as a sort of security/male-role-model presence at the schools.

I had a good time. My daughter is still young enough to think it was pretty cool to have her dad at school all day!

I do find it sad though that the men in our country don't often take much interest in their childrens activities, be they school related or otherwise. I also find it sad that in this elementary school there are only two or three men on the entire staff (the principle, the computer lab, and PE instructor) but these are social issues best left to the debate forum I guess.