PDA

View Full Version : paper mache cat

Bastet555
11-06-2001, 01:01 PM
I loved the gorgeous pirate and parrot sculpture that leaflin did, especially the use of feathers on the parrot.............I'll have to explore that idea myself ;)

This was the first free-standing piece I did, using a chicken-wire mesh base and building the pulp paper mache over it.

Incidentally the real kitty (Nefertiti) wasn't as fooled as my dogs who went wild when I carried the sculpture into the living room:D

colorme
11-06-2001, 04:38 PM
i love this:)

sassybird
11-07-2001, 05:19 AM
This is a well worked piece. That medium isn't the easiest to manipulate, and you show a knack for it here. Your cat sure seems to want to know more about this strange silent critter ;) I work with plaster a lot, but never have done much with paper except to make it and work on it.

Bastet555
11-07-2001, 12:08 PM
Thanks Colorme.........it was fun to make.

Thanks for your kind words too Sass. You're quite right, it's not the easiest of mediums but there are virtually no art supply stores here - so what with necessity being the mother of invention an' all, you have to make do with what's available and there's always lots of newpaper!

Depending on the piece, sometimes I use the conventional soaked and pasted layered strips which gives a smooth effect. My favourite method though is to soak the torn paper and whizz it in my old blender. I then gently squeeze out excess water and mix in wall spackle powder and PVA adhesive. I can then press it onto a support - either heavy corrugated carton for small frames like this photo frame

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2001/paper_mache_photo_frame.JPG

or onto wood as in this big mirror frame.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2001/paper_mache_mirror.JPG

I paint it with a layer of PVA glue when it's thoroughly dry before painting it with acrylic paints and glueing on beads or whatever. Then seal it with acrylic varnish.

paintfool
11-07-2001, 08:19 PM
They're ALL beautiful!!! I'm especially taken with the mirror! Do you have any problems with the paper mache not stcking to the mirror? Obviously it's there but do you do anyhting to prep the mirror before applying the mache? I've been having a bit of fun exploring this medium myself and have a lot of questions!
Cheryl

Bastet555
11-08-2001, 12:03 PM
Thanks Cheryl, glad you like the mirror :) I find that as long as I paint a thick coat of PVA adhesive onto whatever I want the paper mache pulp to stick to, there's never been a problem with it coming off, even where it's only glued onto the mirror itself. As you can see from the photo, this mirror is in the bathroom and it's still holding up well after 2 years. Do you think other artists on WetCanvas would be interested if I did a step-by-step "how to" on this subject and it's applications?

Cheers - Judy

paintfool
11-08-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bastet555
Do you think other artists on WetCanvas would be interested if I did a step-by-step "how to" on this subject and it's applications?
Oh yes Judy! I absolutely do! You can either do it here in this forum or publish an article. I haven't done an article yet but hear that it's not difficult to do. Please see the info on article publishing. I'm sure we can get someone to help you through it if need be! I would promote it, as i know a lot of folks would be interested in seeing this process!
Thanks for the tip on applying the aheasive to the surfaces. I'm going to do one of those mirrors as soon as i finish a portrait that i'm working on!
Cheryl

paintfool
11-08-2001, 01:20 PM
Here's the link to the article publisher (Which can be located in the drop down menue under 'community' at the top of this page)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Publisher/
Cheryl

gsb
11-08-2001, 08:33 PM
Great cat(s)! Makes me want to do papier mache.
Love the photograph.
Hope you'll do the step-by-step.

Georgia

Leaflin
11-08-2001, 09:20 PM
First..... Judy I Love your cat!!! :)
It shows what great artwork can be produced with papier mache'
Execellent!

Second.... Please do a tutorial :)
It would be a great addition to WetCanvas.
I did one back in July and really enjoyed the process.
Here it is if you want to check it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Leaflin/124/

Good luck :)

wendee
11-11-2001, 02:20 AM
these are great....the cat looks so real...:D :D

Bastet555
11-12-2001, 11:40 AM
Thank you Wendee and Georgia. Like I said it was a first attempt at a free-standing sculpture. Like most things you try out yourself you learn a lot in the process and there are some things that I'll change next time.

Thank you Cheryl and Leaflin for support for a tutorial. Loved tutorial Leaflin........your approach is totally different to mine which is what I think is so uniquely fantastic about the art world.
I've had a look at the link on how to go about setting up the tutorial which looks pretty straightforward. Just one question springs to mind at present which is - do you have to sit down and write the whole thing up in one sitting or is there a way you can save a part, adding to it at a later time and finally publishing the entire tutorial?

This will have to wait until after the New Year as I'm off to the UK early next week and then of course Christmas will be upon us. However as soon as all these events are a thing of the past, I'll be delighted to do it.

Cheers
Judy

paintfool
11-12-2001, 08:45 PM
Good question Judy. Let me ask Llis about that. She's our article publishing wizard. :)
Cheryl