PDA

View Full Version : "The Rough Seas" WIP

Artguy29
10-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, I needed to take a break from my little puppy that I've been working on, and what better way to do that than paint a nice, big seascape.
I was inspired to try a large seascape by Marty's WIP thread.
I just finished the sky, started to sketch out rocks and waves, and blocked in the background water.
C&C welcome and appreciated.
16"x20" acrylic on canvas.

Dave

Bertoni
10-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Dave:
Looking good so far. It'll be interesting to see how this one works out!
Look forward to the updates!! :)

Artguy29
10-31-2004, 07:24 PM
Here's an update:
I have gotten a lot done in my last session.
It's starting to look much more impressionstic than I thought it would be, but I'm growing to like it that way.
I have been using very thick paint, leaving many "blobs" of paint to indicate movement.
I'll see where I get from here!

Dave

Artguy29
11-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Before you ask, this is the same painting!! :D
I have reworked the composistion of this piece.
I didn't like the placement of my previous rocks, so I'm thinking of adding them along the sand in the foreground.
Although I did say the sky was finished, I felt it needed some more color. I added various mixtures of cadmium yellows & oranges, some reds and light blues, as well.
The key to this painting is the white; I must have used more than half the tube already!!!
In case your interested, here's how I paint the water:
This is a rather simple process, but the result is astonishing.
First, I lay down a very deep mixture of various blues, greens, yellows and hints of reds and oranges. (I refer to this as the "under-painting")
I then take a full brushload of Titanium White (a very high quality, professional white is needed to achieve this) and simply streak across that layer of paint, keeping an eye on the direction of the water.
The white picks up the various colors you applied as the "under-painting", lightens them, and brings it across the water.
It's a simple way of bringing a lot of color through your strokes
As you can tell, I leave little "blobs" of paint to show texture. I believe that is the key to my technique.
Aside from that, I also take the same colors and build them up next to each other, take a dry brush, and simply blend them into one another, being sure to leave those "blobs".
I have included two close-ups to show the texture.
C&C welcome and appreciated!
Thanks,

Dave

Artguy29
11-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Well, I'm calling this one done.
C&C welcome.
Thanks,

Dave

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2004/25905-finished.jpg

JamieWG
11-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Nice, Dave! I like what you did with your atmospheric sky. I think it was a wise decision to take the rocks out of the center of the piece; it works much better the way you finished it off. :clap:

Jamie

Artguy29
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Jamie.
When I first placed those rocks in, I had a strong feeling that they wouldn't work. You can't even see a hint of that brown in the finished painting; another reason why I love acrylics :) .
Thanks again,

Dave