PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Additive Question

dhs9831
10-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Acrylic Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what effect adding linseed oil to acrylic would have? Is it okay to do this??? Will it make it stay moist longer, more like oil paint.. preventing it from hardening on the pallet or while in storage until next time, as opposed to using a wet pallette? Just wondering.. I am considering adding some now to my acrylics but wanted your opinions.

Thanks

Dave

damar
10-30-2004, 05:57 PM
No, Acrylics and oil don't mix. You can get "slow-dry" extender medium to add to your acrylic paint. Liqutex brand for example.
If the paint is drying on your palette, keep a spray mister bottle handy and keep plastic wrap over colors that you are not using on the palette.
Visit the Liquitex web site for more info on mediums to add to paints.

Charlie's Mum
10-30-2004, 07:25 PM
No one can stop you trying it - but I wouldn't advise it! :eek:
As Damar says, use a spray bottle / plant mister to keep paint moist.
You can also mist the painting itself as long as you are careful.

Einion
10-30-2004, 07:49 PM
No one can stop you trying it - but I wouldn't advise it! :eek:
LOL

Actually I encourage you to try it Dave, I doubt you'll do it a second time though :D

If you want to have really long working times then don't paint in acrylics, simple as that. As for storing paint mixes for use in the future, decanting into 35mm film canisters works quite well, particularly if there's a fairly large volume of paint. I've had some paints stored in these for about a decade without a significant problem but if there's any water added to the mix it's very likely it will go mouldy.

Einion

lorna12
10-31-2004, 05:15 AM
If acrylics is your thing and you want to make them stay open longer for blending, try Acrylic Glazing Liquid by Golden for an additive. Its much nicer than a slow-dry additive (in my opinion) and keeps the colors brighter than using water to thin with ...I find water really dulls acrylics. Misting with a spray bottle is okay, too as long as too much water isn't added. I still use the sta-wet palette for my acrylics and I love it....paints stay good in one of those (or a home-made one) for up to 3 weeks.

No I sure wouldn't try mixing linseed with acrylic...ever heard the expression about water and oil??

timelady
10-31-2004, 05:45 AM
Well, I can't quite figure out why you would want to add oil to acrylics instead of just using oil paints! :) No, they won't mix. The chemistry of acrylics and oils is different...

Tina.

dhs9831
10-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Wow, thank you all for your advice! I kind of feel dumb now, but ya know, thats the way it goes lol. I just started painting, and I really suck at it, but I have tried different mixtures etc and just wondered about the oil thing. Youre right I have heard about the old oil and water saying... I guess I didnt even think about acrylic being a water based media. The reason I dont just buy oil paints is because I have tons of acrylic that my grandmother used until she passed, and I am a poor college student with no money to buy oils lol. I just get frustrated with how fast the acrylics dry, it makes blending and such kind of difficult. As far as on the pallet, I was kind of frustrated with the way it dries on the pallette itself more than skinning on the top, but I did try something that really worked for me. You may laugh, but I took regular cooking vegetable oil and coated my pallette with it to see if it would prevent the paint from drying to fast on the bottom (giving me those little clumps of paint when i put it on the canvas) and it worked wonderfully. In fact absolutely none of the paint dried on the pallette, and it really didnt effect the consistency of the paints at all. To clean, I just took a paper towell, and whatever paint was left (even the next day) wiped right off. I didnt have to use water or soap. I should say I am not using a regular pallette made for painting, I didnt like it, so I bought a large round hard plastic serving dish for serving deviled and hardboiled eggs, with the depressions in the plastic around the outside to place the eggs and flat plastic circle in the middle.. (The kind with a lid to transport food to outings) it was only a buck at Dollar General, and it works beautifully for me. Anyway, whenever I sit down to paint now, I first coat it with the oil (thin layer). Not that anyone cares lol, I guess my post had nothing to do with this anyway. But thank you all for your advice, I will definately use it, and not mix the oil with my acrylics!