PDA

View Full Version : **DAILY WASH** ~SUNDAY 31st October 2004~

laudesan
10-30-2004, 04:30 PM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTIE!!

WE ARE HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Was woken at 4.00am by the Flying Foxes (fruit bats) Lorrikeets, and the Kookaburras screeching their heads off. Oh boy are we home.. :D :p

Furkids so pleased to see us, they haven't stopped purring and wagging tails.. :D

We got home at 12.30pm yesterday (Sat) talked with Lorha, caught up on all the happenings, but our eyes were hanging out of our heads even tho' we slept on the plane. The dateline does it..:(

Alan and went to bed early last night, around 5-ish I think, just after Janine picked up Lorha.. Slept like a log until 4.00am.. Got up and had tea and toast, himself has gone back to bed..

Got heaps of unpacking to do, no housecleaning tho'. Our house was absolutely spotless!!! I am so indebt to Lorha for looking after everything so well and thefurkids are fit happy and well, just a little skinnier, but that is a good thing.. :D :cat:

Aaaaaaaaw Pat, Macduff is too cute!!

Roger your reno's look beautiful!!

Posted by Doug..Feeling a Little dizzy this morning - it happens occasionally - must be something to do with blood pressure

Well, how is everyone? How is the knee, Kev? How is Otter getting along has she made it into the basement to pain yet? It's amazing how you miss the daily lives of washies when you are away. We had a lovely visit to Herefordshire and were blessed with fine weather. I'll download some photos when I have had breakfast.

Hope you had a fun time, altho' how could you not.. Dizzy??????????? :(

Sylvia you have a super day today!!! (((((i)))))

((((((((((ERIN)))))))))) Sorry to read you broke your wrist, how on earth did that happen?????

Cathie, wow awesome photo!!! ((()))

JoAnn, love your photo too, are you still thinking about selling to him tho'?? I did read your last message where you said you were still getting rid of "stuff".. :D

Oh My neat pic of Jaytee abd Arnold too...

Uschi, here I am.. Couldn't have got on yesterday when we got home anyway, as my keyboard batteries were flat and Lorha thought they were rechargables and recharged them and burnt out the charger.. :D Poor kid was so upset, but I said no worries it is only "stuff". Alan searched high and low and came up with some AA's this morning.. :D

Huggles to everyone..

Love youse!!!

amaze_1101
10-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Judy glad to see you back home on our side of the planet again safe and sound. It will take a few days to come down to earth after such an awesome trip. You both have been so blessed to meet all the WetC folks and will have life long memories now.

Take it easy for a few days till the jet lad passes. :wave:

JustjoGA
10-30-2004, 04:54 PM
WELCOME HOME, JJ and ALAN!!

We've all lived your trip with you.... so much in so few weeks.
Once you've rested, and reoriented... I hope we see more
photos... What a wonderful experience, and how exciting to
be able to plan to DO IT AGAIN!!

Smiling Hugely, Jo in Georgia

Europa
10-30-2004, 05:27 PM
WELCOME HOME JJ AND ALAN - WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

psssssst - it's still Saturday here......lol.

Just off to post my painting in the WDE.

Pat xx

laudesan
10-30-2004, 05:31 PM
WELCOME HOME JJ AND ALAN - WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

psssssst - it's still Saturday here......lol.

Just off to post my painting in the WDE.

Pat xx

:o I know, I was just so eager to let you all know we are home.. :o

Strawberry Wine
10-30-2004, 06:09 PM
JJ, Saturday night's dinner is still in the oven. :D That is OK, because I rarely get in here this early in the wash. :)

Glad you are home safe and sound. Nice to travel, but so nice to be back home again, I am sure. What a trip you have had. Loved the photos from Alberta.

I started a painting today and used one of your photos of the river in Quebec as a reference. 1/2 sheet, autumn scene, so it will take me a while.

Rained hard here today which was great as the road crew just laid sod on Thursday where they dug up the front for town "water and sewers" . Can hardly wait to hook up next Spring.

:wave: to all fore and aft. Be back later.

Cheers,

Gail

Christie
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Welcome back JJ! Glad to hear that the furkids are happy to see you. How is Zoe?

Thank you for the birthday greetings! Going to mum and dad's tonight for dinner. I think I am meeting a cousin that I have not seen in 15 years...:D

Glad that you are back to your familiar sounds again. We are missing having you guys around here. The dogs are still hesitating before going into the den.:D

Okay, I have been told it is time to go. See you tomorrow...

Take care.

madmum
10-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Welcome home JJ! :clap: It's been so much fun reading your adventures as you and Alan travelled the world!

It's just Sunday here (but clocks go back tonight, so it's sort of Saturday still), and I've claimed the computer for a few minutes before heading up to bed! The kids have been keeping the chair warm all week, but they go back to school on Monday and I will reclaim my rightfull place :D Painting has been impossible too, but that will also be sorted on Monday.

Spent 30 minutes wishing I could have another baby today, while I cuddled my neighbours 4 day old, beautiful, brown eyed little girl. If they stayed so tiny and helpless I would do it like a shot, but I know they turn into teenagers so I can resist! :wink2: I think DH might have something to say if I told him I was having a baby now :eek: (he was permanently doctored 11 years ago! lol)

Hugs to all, I miss being fully involved here! :(

Ruth

laudesan
10-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Welcome back JJ! The dogs are still hesitating before going into the den.:D

:D:D Give them a huge cuddle from me!!! Have fun, enjoy your renunion!!! Give you Mum and Dad a huge hug from us too, and tell them again THANK YOU for such a special day in the mountains!!!!

Gail I am REALLY looking forward to your painting!! AS soon as I get our luggage and things sorted, I am going to set up my painting gear..

Alan has just found out he goes back to work Tuesday, instead of Thursday.. Luckily he is not too worse for wear.. He will Survive. It is still a night shift, so that will ease him back in gently :D

:wave: Ruth.. Sleep well!!

mr sandbanx
10-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Oh, excuse me... I seem to be in the wrong day...my mistake...

(Welcome?? home JJ) was great to meet you.

artmom
10-30-2004, 07:49 PM
JJ's back in town! :D

Alex received a First in one of her three equestrian events!! Photos will follow! :evil: :D

I'll be back when it is really Sunday and Halloween!

Lyn

amaze_1101
10-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Just posting my 600th post :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2004/41055-GIFsmileyJumping.gif

Uschi
10-30-2004, 09:16 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: HI JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading your messages here will never be the same because I'll hear you saying them!! Hard to believe you are on the other side of the world, in my mind you are here, just around the corner :D

So glad that both of you are safe and well!!!! Hugs to both of you, well, especially Alan!!!! :evil: :D

((((((Erin))))))) I'm sooo sorry you are still hurting!!!!
Uschi

Europa
10-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Congratulations Elaine!!! :clap: :clap:

JJ - yeah am glad your back home kiddo - looking forward to your posting more frequently again - hugs to you and Alan.

Right am off to bed - just finishing off the start of another portrait - thought I would try and do one of our neighbour who took us out to celebrate his 80th the other night - only trouble was I only had my phone camera so am struggling as its a bit out of focus but not too bad.....lol.

I must be improving at these as I have only put the shading on and already its starting to look like him......LOL.

Night Night all - its 1.40 am here on Sunday morning so will catch you all later.

Love and Hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

Starsprite
10-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Congrats Elaine!!! Wow 600!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did you turn back your clock Pat??

Glad to hear you and hubby made it home safely JJ. :)

Love having two Washes to mess around in. lol :)

Cathie Jones
10-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Welcome back, JJ! We missed you. :wave:

The mountains in my Saturday morning photo are the same ones you saw from the Getty - - just from the other side!! So sorry I couldn't get the day off to visit with you guys . . . next time you can arrange to spend more time in this area.

laudesan
10-30-2004, 11:01 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: HI JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading your messages here will never be the same because I'll hear you saying them!! Hard to believe you are on the other side of the world, in my mind you are here, just around the corner :D

So glad that both of you are safe and well!!!! Hugs to both of you, well, especially Alan!!!! :evil: :D

((((((Erin))))))) I'm sooo sorry you are still hurting!!!!
Uschi

Me too, you guys are not far away at all now!!!!

Congrats Amaze..

Cathie, I will definitely make sure we have more time next time..!!

mr sandbanx
10-30-2004, 11:03 PM
No messing around Spritey please.

Elaine 600 posts is something to be proud of. I had you down for eleven in the "How many posts till Elaine gets banned lottery". Noone is more surprised than me that you have been able to restrain yourself. LOL

Hey Sprite thanks for reminding me .. so what time is it now??? What are you going out as tonight? I'm going to pretend I am a painter!

Weird to posts two times a day before it actually happens. Ohh.. Halloweenish???

Hi everyone, go look in yesterdays Wash. Ktrayn has a nephew she wants you to see!!

Chris

Starsprite
10-30-2004, 11:17 PM
mr sandbanx...well it's 10:20 p.m. Saturday nite here in Kansasland. In 40 mins though get to turn back the clock another hour...yippeee!! And it's still Saturday...not Halloweenish yet. Tomorrow..Halloween I plan to go as a Sprite that paints, preferrably not water. :D

Notice my new saying below...tee heeee :D

Lulu
10-31-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi everyone:)
Have just returned from the most wonderful holiday in Queensland, Australia (JJ's home 'town'). LOVED the heat and sunshine every day. It's been a bit of a shock coming home to cooler temperatures.
Sorry about starting a new wash - didn't see this one - must still be affected by the heat! lol
Here is a pic of John trying to convince me that I WILL be safe riding this animal! LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2004/1118-LuluCamelride.jpg

laudesan
10-31-2004, 01:33 AM
Cool Pic LULU.. Welcome home!! Glad you enjoyed Sunny Queensland. What did you do in Brisbane??? It is only 20 deg today. Wonderful. Was really worried I would come home from below zero to 35 deg.. :p

Lulu
10-31-2004, 02:21 AM
And welcome home to you too JJ:) The heat must have left as we did! lol
I loved the heat actually, was anything from 30-35 while we were there. Would love to live there!
What did we do? went up to Noosa and then onto Fraser Island (fabulous trip), market at Eumundi, art exhib at Noosa, visited The Ginger factory, Ettamogah pub, glasshouse mountains, paddled in the sea at Wellington Point, went to visit Allan Jamieson (wetc member) who lives not far from there, retail therapy at Indooroopily;), movies (In My Father's Den), stopped at plenty of cafes, drank a lot of red wine;).............all of it was totally amazing and we have come home refreshed and rejuvenated, and what's more we got rid of our bugs there too!
Am so sorry that we only missed you by a day. Thought we were going to have to stay because the airline didn't have our names in the data base when we checked in. But alas, they sorted it out, and we had to get on the plane lol
Travelling is very more-ish isn't it?

Roun2it
10-31-2004, 02:35 AM
Morning each,

It's so nice to have everyone back were they all belong!!

laudesan
10-31-2004, 04:22 AM
Thank you Kev.. :)

Wow Lulu you did have an awesome time.. I haven't been to the glasshouse Mountains.. Something on my list tho'.. 'specially as it is not far from where we live, Allan Jamieson only lives a couple of streets away from me too.. :D

You left your bugs here.. :eek: you bad girl .. :D Glad you are well again. (()) that was too long to be sick !!

Oh YES !! Travelling is VERY more-ish !!

painterbear
10-31-2004, 05:03 AM
Good Morning all,

It is a few minutes before 5:00 a.m. (now that we've turned our clocks back an hour) on Sunday morning here in Oakwood.

HAPPY, SCARY HALLOWEEN TO YOU ALL! BOO!
The Trick or Treaters came around last night and it was fun to see them. I was glad to see so many homemade costumes instead of store-bought ones.

Welcome Home JJ and Alan! It was so much fun "sharing" your adventures as you traveled on your "meet the WC gang" tour round the globe. Nice to see you back in the Wash again.

Lulu, I would like to have seen the next photo of you when the camel started to get up from the kneeling position! LOL! Glad you enjoyed your vacation in JJ's neighborhood.

Busy day for me today with Birthday Luncheon for Daughter #1. Not much time to be here on the computer so need to get my WC "fix" this morning.

Hope all in the Recovery Room, especially Erin and her poor wrist, are well on their way to getting out.

Off to check out the Gallery before I have to call DH to get up.

Hope to CYL.

Sylvia

laudesan
10-31-2004, 05:11 AM
Good Morning Sylvia.. :)

Here is a Snowy Mountin pic, just to wet your appetite.. :D I am sorting, but boy what a LOT of photos' I have!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2004/22284-Snowy_Mountains_opt.jpg

CharM
10-31-2004, 06:18 AM
Good morning Washers! Woo hoo! We *fell back* an hour... My body clock works best in Standard Time... :D

We were up before dawn yesterday and on the road to Cleveland, Ohio... We took the boys to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... since it's nearly a 5 hour drive, we needed to get an early start... We were home before midnight, but the 3 guys are zonked out and still sleeping...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2004/20514-RRGuitarBoys.jpg

We were NOT allowed to take pics inside the building... most of the exhibits are on loan and copyrights could not be violated...

Today... laundry for Thibaut... packing... pumpkin carving... filling the candy bags for Trick or Treaters (ours is tonight)... a Hallowe'en party for the boys...

Belated Happy Birthday Christie!!!

Welcome Home JJ!!! You've been missed here!

Congratulations on becoming addicted to WC Elaine!

Welcome Home Lulu!!! Too bad you missed JJ and Alan... :(

Sending good thoughts to everyone... I see a couple of beautiful new babies have joined our WC family... congratulations to all...

laudesan
10-31-2004, 06:38 AM
Good Morning Char.. Glad yopu braved the trip, I bet the boys just loved it. Looks so from the photo!! :D

Packing.......:( Thiabut leaving... :D :crying:

Will you take a pic of your veranda please..;) Have you put up the spider web yet???

Huggles JJ

madmum
10-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Afternoon friends :)

Busy wash - looks like JJ is home ;)

Great pics!!!!!! Lulu, you and John are very brave, camels are bad tempered creatures! lol JJ we'll be patient and wait for your pics :D Nice sample, not easy to paint though!

Ktrayn your nephew is gorgeous, congratulations!

Lyn, congrats to Alex! :clap:

Char, you'll miss Thibaut I'm sure :( When does Magoo go to France? Big guitar in that photo! lol

I re-claimed my computer a day early, 8 days of enforced abstinence from it was more than enough for withdrawal to set in! I also got my brushes wet this morning, Amy asked me to paint a photo she saw in my "to do" file and it seemed a good loosener :)

Hugs and white light to all!

Ruth

droll13
10-31-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi all. Great pics, paintings in the works, some folks travelling & others returning home - sounds like a wonderful day.

My day got off to a bit of a confusing start. Uncharacteristically, I forgot to turn my watch back, and I got up at what I thought was 4:00 AM. I knew something was amiss when the donut & coffee shop wasn't open yet. It finally dawned on me about the time change, so I proceeded to reset my watch. Must have not been paying attention because I wound it the wrong way, causing the date to rollover to the 1st. I learned that winding backwards to reset the time doesn't move the calendar back a day, so I had to wind forwards 31 days. Did you know that you can get blisters doing that?

Anyway, with my watch attended to, I proceeded to the Wash - but which one? Are you folks trying to see how completely addled I can be?

Anyway, things are back to normal (or what passes as normal in my life). I'm charging batteries (the camera's and mine) for daughter's soccer game this morning; will soon have my morning coffee in hand.

Congrats to you if your favorite college football team won yesterday, condolences if not. Speaking of teams, the LA Galaxy won last night and are advancing in the MLS post-season. Daughter Lisa (now an employee of the Galaxy organization as some of you may remember) was there at the game, partly working and partly watching. She still loves her job there; just earned a nice bonus for exceeding a target in ticket sales.

Have a safe & happy day, everyone.

Europa
10-31-2004, 07:46 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN - ours is today but I must say the one thing i do not like that came over from the states is this trick or treating to be honest - we have some neighbours who are elderly and won't answer the door when it's dark and subsequently have had eggs thrown at the windows - I have started to point out the houses to kids who come to our door but it still happens occasionally. It was much better when we just had our Bonfire Night - I can just about put up with the fireworks going off for a month before - oh dear am I beginning to sound like a grump? LOL

Anywaysssssssss - put my clocks back - Srpitey don't you put yours back early - ours only went back at 2am this morning.

Lulu - love the pic of you on the camel - when Jamie was in China he went on one and said the guy kept hitting it with a stick and he kept saying to him 'Please don;t do that' apart from the fact he didnt think it was right - he didnt want to get thrown off it ...LOL

Well suppose I had better make a move downstairs....... we post our Challenge 2 painting today - woohooooooo.

Love and Hugs all around - waving to everyone :wave:

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

Uschi
10-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!

I did it, but I don't like it - I am talking about changing the clock back - henceforth the night will start at 5:00 p.m., that makes for a looooooooooong night.

Lyn - congratulations to Alex!!!!

Lulu - that camel looks sooo sophisticated LOL

Sylvia - enjoy the birthday lunch, even if you have to cook it - but I think you actually like that :confused:

Char - wonderful pic of the boys!!!!

Ruth - glad you got your computer back. It's terrible how a change in routine throws us off :eek:

Nothing new here, brunch at my friends place, in the evening Connie will come to my place and hand out treats. They live in an apartment that has no children.

Sending good thoughts out to one and all and :wave: greetings!
Uschi

Faafil
10-31-2004, 07:57 AM
'morning all! :wave:

4:45 am, now that we've turned the clocks back, and well, my time clock is REALLY messed up now... Woke up at 4:30, which was really 3:30 and still awake. :rolleyes: Guess I won't have to worry about being late to go anywhere today! :p

Glad you made it home safely JJ! What a fabulous trip, and wonderful memories you'll cherish.

That is one big guitar Char! I've been wanting to visit the R&R Hall of Fame, and just haven't made it yet. I've been to Detroit 3 or 4 times since it opened, and Cleveland isn't very far from there...

Lulu, great pic, sounds like you had a wonderful holiday..

Not much planned for me today - have to pick up treats for the Halloweeners (isn't that a weird sounding word), go visit friend Tom who had heart surgery, and pay bills (yech). I am going to use my extra hour to paint tho! :D

Well, I must go make some coffee - I've been drinking hot chocolate, and I need that caffeine jump start... CRS has set in...

Weaving to alll, sending 11 hugs!

ML

DominicM
10-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Afternoon all, just got back from California.. have plenty of ref pictures which I shall post in due course.. (5 days on highway 1 between Frisco and Big Sur) plus a few from Napa

Just popping in to say hi and let all now I have returned... Too much to read you have been busy :)

ScarletLake
10-31-2004, 09:35 AM
HI everyone

JJ- How does it feel to be back home again. I was so happy for you & Alan that you got to do a trip of a lifetime. I remember when you first joined WC you said you didn't get out much. Now look at you & all the friends you have made. I think it's wonderful.

We're off in a couple of hours to my sons State High School Band Competition. They are sounding wonderful.

Not much else but cleaning today.

Anita

Little Old Lady
10-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Greetings
Happy Haloween!
Good to see travelers back after enjoyable trips.
Running late this morn even with an extra hour.
Don't get trick or treaters out here in the country.
Have a good one!
JoAnn

mr sandbanx
10-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Happy Halloween.

Glad to see everyone is home safe.

Time change has me muddled up more than usual too.

Tonight I will be taking Em on her Halloween rounds with her friend. Will try to tackle the chair project before then, and watch some football.

Off to church....

Chris

pampe
10-31-2004, 10:14 AM
Good Sunday, washers and washerettes!

Hate that time change, too, Ush....DARK for 17 hours

No trick or treaters venture up PAMPE's mountain either so I can eat all the candy :evil:

Congrats, Elains...sooon you will be up to me :wink2:

Off to make a fire give Abbey a stroll

Hope to paint this week while Hap is gone to Phoenix

Have a great day

Pam

artmom
10-31-2004, 10:26 AM

guilliame
10-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Afternoon gang,glad to see everyone in fine form today,blinking clocks i dont know why we have to keep doing this,i got wound [lol] up at work they told me it was last weekend to put the clock back,got up for work last monday at 6 am :mad:
Hey JJ,Alan :wave: glad to hear you are home safe and sound,and the house is still standing lol,must have been a wonderful trip,look forward to seeing your photo's :)
Had a buy week at work last week plus visitors so didn't do anything so today is a painting day,jumped in feet first on a watercolour portrait,just the initial drawing and wash so far,i used the windsor and newton watercolour box that Yorkie sent to me [thanks again Doug] gonna have a late brunch of bacon butties and then start in on laying down some colour :D

Starsprite
10-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Anywaysssssssss - put my clocks back - Spritey don't you put yours back early - ours only went back at 2am this morning.

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

First off Boo!! and Happy Halloween!!

Oh Pat....what I like to do with Daylight Savings time in the Fall is I like to fall back gently. I don't bother setting the clocks back at all until sometime later the next day. I like to look over at the clock when I first wake up and say "hey... you have another hour to sleep..it's an hour earlier now...yippeee", and same thing with getting around... Hey I have an hour's head start to the grocery store...Yippee!! I go through this all day savoring that extra hour. Then the clocks say 11:00 p.m. and I think hmmm it's really only 10:00 and I stay up an hour later.... wake up the next day feeling like a zombie... and this goes on for weeks, though I do set the clocks to the real time before I go to bed, reality hits hard after that. :eek:

I have no kids of trick or treat age anymore....wahhhhh...I'm getting old! Enjoy your kids while you can..they grow up so fast.

Have a good one! :wave:

jaytee
10-31-2004, 05:03 PM
he -he -he. ......I thought if I waited long enough Id get Arnold posting our pic here......he wanted me to post my shot as he said his was fuzzy.... but I think I improve with blurred edges :D

My trip to Cardiff........which should have taken around 2 hours took 3 1/2 !!!! I got lost about five times and ended up in Newport Docks at going home time on friday with one carriageway closed all the way back to the motorway !!! Squeezed the chest of drawers and dressing table into the car......shot off and collected the curtains.........

....and then the rain actually stopped and the sun came out........so despite the fact it was nearly an hour past my going home time, and I was HOURS late...... trotted off to visit Arnold.......It was quite a revelation seeing his paintings IRL........ the framed ones actually on his study wall were spectacular.......sadly I couldnt stay too long so didnt get a real good look........ and my A4 file ( portfolio to you) never came out of the car :(

Anyway, I headed off home across the Breocn beacons - the way I had planned to go- amazing scenery and the autumn colours all day were quite glorious......... and it took less than 2 hours despite fog and dark. ......

I took only one wrong turn and ended up going over a tiny toll bridge over the wye. put 20p in the box and got 50p back ........a profit !!!

made up for etting home with eyes popping out of head with strain and stinking headache that ran all day yesterday.......

Since then I have been planning and measuring and moving furniture and checking ebay and winning more curtains !!!!! and plants!!!. ....and rugs!!!!........ and art stuff!!!!!............. so havent even BEGUN my challenge painting...... and its now nearly 10.0opm proper time.....

d'you know I had forgotten half the world changes their clocks .... I had assumed it was a quaint old British custom !!!.........

and the house is a PIGSTYE :( too bad :D I made a big mistake moving some large furniture downstairs then realising I cant put it in place until the New Patio doors are fitted........ and they're currently the subject of an argument between manufacturer and supplier.....mmmmm. an dI cant sort the rugs till the furnitures in pace and they all arrive !!!

Right , enough of my boring life........

Not greeting JJ - did that my email :). but will WELCOME the beautiful new babe....Malachy..... I love that name............ and of course

BELATED HAPPY BURFDAY TO CHRISTIE and Many Happy Returns .......

CRS about everything else...........I seem to recall lots of smashing photos though of all sorts of things :) :wink2: Oh and even one for JoAnn !!

And Arnold...... if youre lurking ....... you should explain the flowers in the photo....... it was a lovely story :)

Guilli.... have you posted my portrait yet ??? :evil:

HH&J to all

........deadline approaching and the millions of ideas that were in my head last monday.. phfffft. .......ALL gone !!!!

Flattwo
10-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Hello All

Happy Hallowtide!

Pat, I have to tell you that trick or treating did not originate in the states, I used to do it when I was a kid, my Father when he was a kid and so on, its an ancient Scottish tradition

I used to dress up, usually as a some sort of Ghost or Wizard

Halloween (Hallowtide) The Feast of All Soula, the end of Summer, is a pagan festival where people got dressed up to ward off evil spirits, its been celebrated here for a couple of thousand years

Flattwo

pampe
10-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Janet...that was exactly the route we took from your place...across the Brecon beacons....BEAUTIFUL!!!

Glad you are home safely

mebo
10-31-2004, 05:44 PM
Boo!

Has anybody missed me? I've been gone since August.....

I've been painting more, we've moved 125 miles, and are nearly done with the refurbishing of our "new" house.

Glad to see the regulars and some of the new faces.

Mebo

mr sandbanx
10-31-2004, 06:00 PM
I missed you Mebo. welcome back.

Chris

Christie
10-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey Mebo! Missed having you around.... Hope the renos have gone well and that the move was a good one.:)

artmom
10-31-2004, 06:22 PM
:wave: to everyone again!

Thanks, Henry, for straightening Pat out about Halloween! I used to go out on Halloween to the neighbor's houses dressed up (last time I went in Scotland I was dressed as a nurse). However, I didn't want to be the "Ugly" American and deny that we are responsible for English children egging houses! ROFLOL

Lyn

laudesan
10-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Hey JJ,Alan :wave: glad to hear you are home safe and sound,and the house is still standing lol,must have been a wonderful trip,look forward to seeing your photo's :)

Hey yourself.. :wave: :) It was an absolute pleasure to come home to a clean house, everything in order and my furkids HAPPY.. Lorha can house sit for me anytime she wants she did an fantstic job...

When we went to NZ 2 Febs ago it was so different. I left my friend and neighbour in charge. My house was a mess and my furkids were traumatised.. :(

So I now have Miss Princess Elise who tells me she is more beautiful than I, staying for Nana and Poppy for a week.. :D Reece is a school.. ;) Will pick him up at 3.00pm.

It is HUMID here!!! I miss the Canada weather !! I LOVED the Canada weather!!

We don't have daylight savings in Brisbane. QLD only State that doesn't.. :rolleyes:

Halloween last night, nothing happens here.. :( That I missed Halloween in Calgary by 2 days saddens me... :crying: Would have been so much fun!! Oh well maybe newxt time..

Did I mention it is humid here. Off to find some summer cloths.. ;)

laudesan
10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
P.S.

BIG WELCOME to all the newbies that have joined since I have been on holidays. Great to see new faces around.. :clap:

OOps wrong button.. :o Didn't mean to repost..:o

mr sandbanx
10-31-2004, 06:40 PM
JJ I don't know if you would like todays weather. Its wet n' windy, just like the baby.

Laste week my art teacher helped me ruin an elephant! (Or three) This week he sees NOTHING! I will start another project tonight, just for him to desecrate! I am thinking flowers,but will go and look for a subject right now.

Chris

Europa
10-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Henry - I stand corrected - thanks for that information - I apologise to our American cousins for blaming you....LOL.

Well Leo came round to check out the photo of Vincent and he was well impressed with it so if he thinks its ok then its ok for me to send it to Vincent. We had a great three and half hours together - lots of laughter and mickey taking with the family - was good to see him. Of course I relented and gave him his portrait painting too - I couldnt resist really - I didnt want him thinking I had favoured Vincent with a painting and not him - he was thrilled and more so cos on his he is laughing and Vincent isnt.......LOL.

Spoke to Judy (hopefulbucky) on the phone earlier - now that was fun - we had a real good chinwag - I had to remember to talk slowly so she could understand me....lol.

Later on got a phone call from my friend Sheila in the States - she was talking about her medication that she had for her arthritis and mentioned Vioxx - I told her I used to take that up to the other week when I got a note from the pharmacy saying it had been removed from circulation.

Seems that there is a law suit going on as it was found to cause heart attacks - strokes etc - we both suddenly realised - HEART ATTACKS - I am sure I was taking Vioxx before I had my heart attack - her immediate words where - SUE!!! - am going to check with my doctor as to what date I actually started to take it - and if its before I had my heart attack - believe me - I am definitely going to contact one of the many lawyers who seem to have taken this case on.

Well had better go have a trawl on the net to find this site that deals with it - am struggling at the moment with a toffee banana lol - its taking me ages to eat it.....was much too big to give to the Halloweeners......honest.......lol.

Catch you all later - love and hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

hopefulbucky
10-31-2004, 07:18 PM
Pat I am absolutely stunned as well about the Vioxx. I remember you telling me in your phone call (and I did understand you most of the time btw) that you had arthritis so bad but I never thought about the medication that you might be or had been taking for it. I would certainly check with your dr. and pharmacist as they would have your records and check dates etc (you know all the stuff to do of course). Unreal. To think that it might have been the cause of your heart attack. AUKKKK

It was so much talking to Pat folks. She sounded just like she did as when we were in Kington but she was very kind and did talk slower so I could understand. I told her the reason was the when she started talking "hellbent for leather" Her words ran into each other and she lost me. There were only a couple of times that I had to say "what, please say again"? You see there were a few words that I had to translate from "English" to "American" and it takes a little time for my American brain to process and then I lose the thread. LOL

Seriously it was just great talking to Pat , just like she was next door. At least we have our challenge to meet at.

Hope you all are having a great Halloween, our little trick or treaters should be starting to come soon, gotta get the light on and the candy dish ready.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Europa
10-31-2004, 08:25 PM
Judy - just been chatting on messenger to JJ about it - if I am right about having been taking it before the HA - then I think I may contact an American Lawyer - seeing as its an American firm - am sure my friend Sheila can find out for me.

When I had the heart attack it was a complete and utter surprise to me....lol.... I had never had any trouble with my breathing or blood pressure or chest or lungs - nothing whatsoever - the only thing I had was a slightly raised cholesterol of 6.

This is what it said on one of the websites I found

it works by blocking an enzyme called cyclooxygenase (COX). There are two forms of the enzyme, COX-1 and COX-2. COX-1 is expressed in lots of cells all the time, notably the lining of the stomach, where it regulates acid production. COX-2, on the other hand, was thought responsible for the bad effects of this enzyme, and is not present in most cells normally, only appearing when things are going wrong. Bright minds working in research looked at the high number of hospitalizations resulting from NSAID-induced gastrointestinal damage and thought "what if we had a drug that only blocked the bad enzyme (COX-2) and left the one in the stomach (COX-1) alone? In 1999 we had our first answer as Vioxx made it to the market, followed shortly by Celebrex (Pfizer). Very shortly both drugs made it into the top 20 sales chart, with Vioxx being prescribed to over 10 million patients in the US alone.

Unfortunately for Merck, and possibly Pfizer, it turns out that COX-2 isn't just bad. In addition to its role in inflammation, it also plays an important part in controlling the cardiovascular system stopping platelets from forming thrombi, preventing damage to vessels, that kind of thing. Not the sort of thing you want to stop, especially in the patient group these drugs are marketed at. Data from clinical trials had been conflicting on the cardiovascular side effects up until now, but a trial involving Vioxx and colorectal cancer had to be stopped after a huge increase in the amount of heart attacks and strokes compared to placebo.

Sooooooo there you go - only time will tell - let you know tomorrow what I find out at the doctors.

Off to bed - later gang - love and hugs

Pat xxx

Lulu
10-31-2004, 08:52 PM
It is HUMID here!!! I miss the Canada weather !! I LOVED the Canada weather!!

Did I mention it is humid here. Off to find some summer cloths.. ;)

Stop your complaining JJ! lol I want to get back on the plane - I LOVED the humidity.......I'm frrrrreeeezing here! It's only 17 degrees today............

BobH
10-31-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi all.

Kind of a late visit. Been a very busy weekend. I have a ton of work to catch up on so all yesterday morning and almost the entire day today was spent doing that.
And today is our anniversary! 24 years ago we were married. So yesterday we went to a play in Raleigh, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Excellent production, lot of fun. Sebastian Bach played Dr. J and Mr. H and was outstanding. But the woman who played Lucy (the prostitute) simply stole the show, in my opinion. What a singing voice and such a presence on the stage. When she was on stage she just commanded your attention. After the play we drove around looking for a restaraunt. "Settled" on a Thai place. Really good, yum! So a good day was had :D
Last evening I finished a drawing and I just now dabbed a little paint on it. Felt good!

TMTRTI ... so I'll see everyone tomorrow.

Uschi
10-31-2004, 10:10 PM
Trick or treating is over, just having a quick read before bed time.

Pat, I also take/took Vioxx, it was the one that caused less stomach problems than Celebrex.

I researched about it the day after it was pulled off the market and this is the info that I found out:

1. Only people taking higher than 25mg daily were affected
2. The heart attacks all seemed to take place only within the first three month of taking the vioxx

I'm going for my Dr's appoint tomorrow. Don't really want to take the celebrex, one of my very good friends was one of the people on the initial blind tests and out of the blue had massive bleeding from the stomach.
Uschi

P.S.: CONGRATULATIONS to 24 years of marriage Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laudesan
10-31-2004, 11:04 PM
Stop your complaining JJ! lol I want to get back on the plane - I LOVED the humidity.......I'm frrrrreeeezing here! It's only 17 degrees today............

:D It is 21 degsc 69f today. Really pleasant, if not a little sticky..;) If you had been in Cal;agery, you would know what i mean. The air is so dry there it is wonderful, if not little thin..;)

OH.. the news man said it is going up to 30 degs tomorrow,,A we have thundrstorm/cyclone warnings..

Just been chatting to Barb (tigre) using my webcam..

Pat I have it installed and up and running and have SOUND. Alan figured out how to adjust the picture, I just had to change over the plug for the sound in the pcu and "wallah".

Barb and I had a lovely chat. LOVE her accent.. Miss those accents..;) :D

Elise is having a lovely nap been 2 hours. I shall quickly have my lunch now nefore she wakes up. It is 2.00pm here.. Monday.. :D