PDA

View Full Version : Question about pens

Saau_Hatshepsut
11-05-2001, 07:50 PM
I've just got a set of Faber-Castell TG1.S pens(does that mean anything to anyone? *L*), and I've no idea what to do with them.
Mainly I'm wondeing about their maintanence. Do they have to be cleaned out thorougherly after each use? I inherited them from my mother (along with bundles of other art equipment - I love having an ex-artsy mother *G*), and spent hours on the weekend cleaning them out, as they'd been clogged up with ink for years.
Anyway, I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me.
Thanks. :)

Saau.

NorahT
11-06-2001, 09:19 AM
Art Dude posted about pens and nibs, etc. some time ago. You could check under his posts. Am only a beginner for pen and ink, so cannot help personally :)

baquitania
11-07-2001, 04:37 PM
Greetings oh Princess...

I have the same pens I believe, and would never attempt the herculean task of cleaning them... Expect some thinned out lines if there's water still in them... ah rapidiograph pens, don't miss the shaking them to get them to unclog and work...

However I must say getting ink to flow so precisely is a joy... goodluck oh princess...

ever your faithful vizier

"shall i tell this royal company below to stop making you quills?"
http://www.whitemagic.com.au/quills.htm

Saau_Hatshepsut
11-07-2001, 05:41 PM
Lol, Thanks Bobby.
Cleaning them was a chore indeed. My mother tried sitting them in water for months, but they just wouldn't come clean. Finally, when we'd nearly given up, we found out that they unscrew down into about 5 separate pieces, which makes it *much* easier. Still, a few hours and a basin full of hot water later, they finally work. You wouldn't belive how much ink can get clogged up in there. *L*
I'm still keeping all the equipment for the quills, and will probably still use it for certain things (I just like the dipping part of it *G*), but I must say that I'm really enjoying the pens at the moment. :) The smallest is 0.35, I've never had such fine lines before.
Good luck with your penwork. *S*

Saau.

baquitania
11-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Greeting oh Princess:

My apologies I could have saved you that struggle had I known earliar you were attempting to clean them as a whole...

I prefer Sakura Pigma Micron pens, they are not rapidographs, but instead are closer to fine line markers... And I always keep a .005 by my bedside incase inspiration hits. However I found that Faber-Castell also makes a variation, which look tempting...

see link below (your ever faithful vizier)
http://www.faber-castellusa.com/products/windows/AG/167199.htm

Saau_Hatshepsut
11-07-2001, 06:47 PM
*L* Oh well, it was a learning experience...
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. :)

Saau.

toddjunck
11-09-2001, 11:00 AM
I would like to suggest the purchase of an "ultra-sonic" cleaner.

They make ones specially for tech. pens with an insert that acts as a pen holder, but they are quite pricey. I have found that a less expensive "ultra-sonic" jewelry cleaner will work just as well. Check with the manufacturer for suggested cleaning solutions.

Todd :D

MarkL
11-20-2001, 10:54 PM
Hi Ya Saau

This is something I said before in and earlier post

I use Rotring Rapidograph pens 0.25, 0.35, 0.7
they tend not to clog but if they do a good soak
in water does the trick, if after a soak the nib still doesn’t rattle
then you need to go for the major option of unscrewing all the
bits that unscrew pull the cap off the top of the nib
and remove the piece that has the thin wire attached
then again soak in water; you can get special cleaning solutions
but I never bother waters free
Note: when you come to put it all back together be VERY CAREFULL
especially with the smaller nibs 0.18, 0.25 as the wire can bend if that happens throw it away and get a new one.

As for storage as long as the cap is on it doesn’t matter. I can put a pen down for 6 months then take the cap off and away you go

Hope this is of help

artdude
11-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Hi Saau. Everyone has their own way of keeping their pens clean. I always keep a small container of a cleaning solution made especially for airbrush's and pens. When I'm done with my pen I just give it a quick dip in the solution and wipe it with a lint free cloth. Cap it and your pen should never clog. It's well worth the time and effort I think. Well that's my 2 cents worth :D

Saau_Hatshepsut
11-25-2001, 07:43 AM
Thanks all for your input, it's definitely been of great help.

Saau.

Yorky
12-02-2001, 04:59 PM
Hi Saau,

I regret to sy that after using Rotring/Rapidograph pens in my work for some 30 years, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to keep them flowing is to use them at least once every day, otherwise the ink dries up in the tube (especially in the finer pens, which can be almost impossible to rectify).

For art work, I agree with Baquita, the new fine fibre tip pens with permanent/pigmented ink are a much better proposition. Even these need to be used with care and kept tightly capped when not in use.

Best of luck,

Doug

Laura Brito
01-11-2003, 01:13 PM
I have a pair of Rotring Pens that I purchased about 15 years ago, they use the cartridges, and I do have a refillable ink cartridge converter for one of them, I really love these pens, and they were expensive, but mine are clogged and I have used the cleaning solution on them without any success, right now after reading all of these threads on these pens, I have my tips sitting in hot water with soap in it, the water has gotten quite dirty and I have changed it once now, how long do I soak? I have also used an old toothbrush on them as well......Mine pens are E and EF if that means anything, I am not sure what that means as to line size. Once I put in a new cartridge do I have to discard the cartridge each time I use the pen? or can it sit and still be useable? Also besides just screwing the top part of the pen off, do I need to take it apart further? If so how do I do that? twist the tip? I am not sure and need more explaination! hehe sorry!

Thanks Laura

Here is a picture of my tips....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2003/9304-Mvc-560f.jpg

Elankat
01-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Laura. I'm not really too familiar with this style of pen since I use a Rapidiograph-style technical pen.

If soaking in soapy water doesn't work, you may want to try a pen-cleaning solution or a sonic jewerly cleaner. I'd say if the pens are capped, you will be okay to leave the cartridge in for a few days, but remove it and thoroughly clean the pens if it will be longer.