PDA

View Full Version : Daily Wash Friday October 29th

KathyJB
10-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Hello Washies!!!
I had a miny workshop tonight. Taught myself how to make paste paper .. added acrylic paint and made several abstracts
and one mirror image that I posted in the forum... all in all a productive day.

Off to bed now
I wish healthy car engnes for all and bodily health to those who have running functional cars...crossing my fingers... I have lucked out on my new old car she is a buick ten years old now and a true gem.
DH drives the leased escape and my new college girl drives th car i let her assume... tho I still do payments LOL
The saturn...
oh I must be tired I nEVER talk about cars.
OK sleep well wake well and live well,
love to all,
Katinautohat

Roun2it
10-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Morning each,

Boy isn't it quiet without JJ, Lulu and Yorky all having a nice time I hope, but they have left a big void in the early shift.

Chris sorry to hear you had trouble rounding up your elephants, hope the cars fixed for today. You may have to call out Malty's Taxi's, a reliable and friendly service I hear. My car's in for a service today so I'm wheelless too!

Will have to look for the next piccy, got a couple of ideas but nothing coming to the fore.

painterbear
10-29-2004, 04:44 AM
Good Morning all,

Just past 4:30 a.m. here in Ohio, still pitch dark outside, of course. There is a plane passing overhead right now, the only sound in the quiet (except for my keyboard, LOL!).

Can't believe I'm only the third one here this morning. Was Wet Canvas down for maintenance during the night? I had no email notifications from WC this morning which is very odd.

Kathy, Hope your Buick gives you lots of carefree service.

Kev, Good luck on the next reference photo search for your poetry and painting challenge.

The class yesterday on transforming watercolor duds into masterpieces wasn't very helpful to me. It was mostly about using acrylics to cover up the watercolor painting and basically use it as an underpainting. Since I don't have acrylics and am not planning to buy any, it didn't give me much to go on. I much preferred the one we had last year where we covered the dud with tissue paper and painted on top of that, then collaged parts on top of that. That was fun and it turned out very nicely.

Still working on my pour painting I started what seems like ages ago. I wanted to see how Diane finished hers off before doing more on mine.

Weaving to all who are yet to come and wishing those who are hurting solice and recovery.

Off to check out the Gallery paintings now.

SYL,

Sylvia

andylavallee
10-29-2004, 04:48 AM
Good morning Kathy ,Good morning Kev, sorry I'm late. What a night we had here , my ponds awash with water it rained all night!!!. Got a delivery of paper from SAA yesterday, must have ticked the wrong box got 10 full sheets
of Bockingford 425gsm not and 10 full sheets of Bockingford 425 gsm extra rough , looks like I will have to paint Aka Sarah cross legged on the floor. Getting downs alright ,but getting up with all that gravity dragging at you, now thats a different story.. If the papers no good to paint on at least its thick enough to line the studio for the winter. better go and blunt a few blades cutting this 'board' into sensible sized pieces.

artmom
10-29-2004, 04:55 AM
Tip-toeing in-- :wave: !

Hope Kathy got some sleep; Kev gets wheels soon; and Sylvia enjoys the Gallery!

It's almost 5 am here in East Tennessee; a bit foggy. It rained last night as we were arriving at the restaurant where the birthday bash was being held for son and DIL. There were only 15 of us, instead of the usual 19 or 20. Our gatherings are getting smaller as college claims some, and new locations others! But it was pleasant to get together.

I'm hoping to paint again today; have a couple of ideas for paintings.

Hope the virtual Medical Rooms are emptying.

May your today be better than your yesterday.

BBL

Lyn

P.S. Andy, we cross-posted! Good morning!

ScarletLake
10-29-2004, 05:49 AM
Hi Everyone

Just a quick note before I get ready for work.

This has been my first week at the new job at the AF base & so far I'm not happy at all. Have done nothing at all this whole week but fill out forms, take tests, etc. These nursing skills tests were never mentioned during any interviews. So far no one can even tell me what I'm going to be doing on my actual job.

Met another lady who started last week & heard no one is very happy. Seems that all shes done too is to just sit & wait & wait.

We'll see what happens next week but if I don't see some direction or even get to my desk I'll be looking elsewhere.

On a happier note a friend & I are getting together to paint tonight.

Anita

Roun2it
10-29-2004, 05:58 AM
Andy, glad you got your stuff from SAA, I find them very good to deal with. There are some good prices on books in there sale on the net site too! But you really should have bought the Windsor Newton stuff at half price. It is fantastic stuff, I'm ordering another 3 packs!!

Hope the Blockingfords OK, wow 300lb paper, you'll never bend it to get it through the door of the shed (studio) :p

CharM
10-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Good morning Washers... it's black as pitch out of doors, raining and windy... But, it's almost 10C, so that's not too bad... the one nice thing about rain is that you don't have to shovel it... :D

Magoo and Thibaut are going to school in their Halowe'en costumes today... Kind of a fun way to end Thibaut's school term here in Canada... yes... it's his LAST day of school... :crying:

We're planning one last day trip for the boys... the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio... It's a long way to go (5 hours there... 5 hours back)... but I know that it'll be fun for them...

Sunday, we'll have to get Thibaut's laundry done and his bags packed... Monday... he's off to the airport... :crying:

I thought something was wrong with my little Tracker when I drove JJ to town last week... My brakes were making that awful grinding noise... DH took my car in yesterday and sure enough... Brakes... calipers... pads... stuff that I can't remember the name of... $$$$...

So... Chris... I'll take a few of those grrrrrr's...

Pam... have you decided on dates for the Montana 2005 get together?? Sounds like it's coming together... it's going to be exciting!

Kathy... sounds like you're having waaaay too much fun... I like your sentiment... "sleep well, wake well, live well..."

'morning Kev...

That's too bad, about your wc class yesterday, Syl... I was really looking forward to some new and interesting way to salvage duds... Ah well... Did you get any proof-reading done???

LOL, Andy... I love that I can blame gravity for my difficulty in getting back up... It's soon going to be time for you to move your studio back into the house... and painting up Wendy's curtains again... :evil:

Lyn... I saw that you've posted a painting!!! Didn't have a chance to get back online yesterday, but I'll go have a looksee today!! Woo hoo!!!!

Anita... bummer... give it some time... hopefully, it will improve... It's nice that you had a chance to paint, though...

Time to roust the boys out of bed... hope to bbl...

Europa
10-29-2004, 06:16 AM
MORNING WASHGANGEROOS!!!

Have dragged myself out of bed this morning - for some reason am feeling really really tired - oh well maybe a few cuppas will revive me.

Kat - have a good sleep!

Kev - looking forward to see what you pick for your next challenge.

Andy - oooh was thinking about you last night - watched the horrendous weather on the tv - by eck it was going some wasn't it.

Waving to Sylvia - Lyn and Anita :wave:

Off to check the gallery before I go get some brekky - BBL

Love and hugs all round

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

BobH
10-29-2004, 06:51 AM
Good Morning!

Just a quick stop to say hello. Not much happening. Didn't work on painting last night. I had to spend the evening trying to brush up my knowledge of sphererical geometry (great, I can't even spell it :rolleyes: ) Today's a "Flex" day at school. Regular classes called off. Kids go to two half-day classes for in-depth examination of a topic or something special like a museum visit. We do it for two consecutive Friday's, several times a year. It's quite cool, kids seem to like it. But (and it's a big butt) I have to do a program on spherical geometry and don't exactly know a whole lot about it. (This is the danger of entering the teaching profession late in life. They expect you to actually know things! Go figure!!??) And what really makes me laugh (or cry, I'm not sure what that sound is), is the program is called "Spheres and Bubbles". A group of kids comes in for the half-day. Another teacher takes half to a different room and does things with bubbles (blow bubbles, double bubbles, square bubbles, etc). I keep half and do spheres (a lot of math, looking for mathematical relationships on a sphere, comparing them to relationships on a plane, etc.) Then we switch groups after an hour and a half. What do you think the reaction of the kids is going to be after the switch (hmmm, how 'bout 1)my group going to bubbles - "geez, glad that's over" and 2) the bubble group coming to me - "this s*#@s".) Should be an interesting day.... :eek:

Tonight I paint! (or at least get the drawing done).
Tomorrow we go to Jekyll and Hyde! A musical!

Have a great day everyone. I'll stop back and check in later (if I survive!)

CharM
10-29-2004, 07:53 AM
:wave: to Pat and Bob...

Kids are off to school... Thibaut chickened out and didn't wear his costume... Magoo... well... I present to you "The Crow"...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2004/20514-TheCrow1.jpg

Oh, I'm just LOL... it's going to be a fun day... :D :D :D

Flattwo
10-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi all

Char...Magoo looks like Alice Cooper on a bad day, no hold on its Ozzie Osborne LOL...great outfit

Henry

Starsprite
10-29-2004, 08:31 AM
LOL Char!! Magoo looks like one of the guys in the band KISS. Cool outfit..not sure who the Crow is....but must be a dark individual. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2004/6385-Kiss.jpg

Roun2it
10-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone, hope you don't mind if I post this here as well, I forgot to mention this in the elephant painting thingy, and as most of you have been there now it may just get lost.

I never really said anything about the elephants in the challenge or where I got the photo. I went to visit this elephant orphanage whilst on holiday in Sri Lanka a couple of years ago. There are still elephants in the wild in Sri Lanka but most of them are privately own and used for ceremonies and parades. It is a symbol of status in Sri Lanka to own your own elephant, but they can become expensive to run.

They are often abandoned, especially the young ones. So the orphanage was set up, government money, private and tourist donations help to keep the place going. It is very humbling to see such large graceful animals, who we have outgrown. Expansion is such in Sri Lanka there will soon be no place for these wonderful majestic creatures. It is such a shame that man cannot survive without causing such devastation.

Anyway here is another pic of the same 3 elephants we painted in the challenge, in a more energetic pose. Itís nice animation for a photo, but I didnít think it would make a nice painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2004/23314-ele2.jpg

They look so content, the one in the middle looks like it's just read one of the poems!!

Uschi
10-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!!!

Flo was here yesterday and we painted!!! I think I have previously mentioned my absolute hang-up about reality i.e. grass is green, yet I abslotely love the vibrant colours Jan Fabian Wallake uses with her pouring. Well, I am too cheap to use all this beautiful and expensive colour to pour but not too cheap to brush it on. So I have started "Variations on a theme of Cosmos" and maybe Blackeyed Susans :D . Yesterday, blue flowers, orange top, VERY red middle and purple bottom background. If nothing else I'll get a huge thrill looking at the colours throughout the colourless winter months. The negative is that I absolutely have to mask the flowers, I'm impatient puting it on and taking it off but there is no way I could paint about 6 glazes around them.

Well, that's my news

Read all of yesterday's and today's wash but mostly CRS except

Anita - I feel for you, awfully boring to sit around all day without a purpose. Hoping it will turn into an unexpectantly fabulous job!!!!

Andy - by the time you have cut/torn all that paper into 1/4 sheets you will never, ever worry about wasting paper again!!! That's how I cured my phobia of wasting paper. Happy painting!!!!

Sylvia - sorry class was disappointing

Lyn - will go and check your painting in a minute

Char - I was going to say Magoo looks soooo cute, but really, cute isn't quite the word. I think Thibout will regret not having worn his when he sees the other kids wearing theirs.

re Brakes - I am 65 years old and do NOT sit on my brakes. I bought the car (Toyota Tercel) 5 years ago when it was 2 years old and every 6 months when I took it in for service I mentioned that they should check the brakes because they felt soft. They said that they did and they were fine. Well 2 1/4 years ago they suddenly decided I needed NEW brakes, not only the pads but $ 600 worth of NEW, because, they told me, the pads had seized to the drum or whatever. Well, I had it done and every time since I ask them to check the brakes, and every time again, they say they are fine. A couple of weeks ago, once again they tell me I need $ 600 worth of new brakes, the pads wer barely used but they were seized to whatever they seize to. I confronted the guy in the most professional manner and told him they better find a way to UNseize them because I am NOT paying for new brakes (i.e. complain to manager and head office!!!) if the pad is barely worn down. HAHA, they managed to unseize them. It seems they seize because I never brake hard :angel: :D

Bob - You could always entertain them by singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles" :evil: :D

Kev - lucky you having been to Sri Lanka!!!!!!! I totally agree with you about us, humans, destroying nature. I have to shake my head in disbelief when I look at the new houses around here, a young couple with maybe one child MUST have a 2500 - 3000 square foot house and yet they are beautiful and if I were young and had the money I would want one too. 50 years ago a family would raise 8 children in a 1000 square foot home and think they are soooo lucky to own a house at all. I will go and see the elephant paintings in a minute!

O.K. off to the gallery, sending good thoughts to each and every one of you and :wave: greetings!
Uschi

Starsprite
10-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Awwww...they are so cute!!! (the elephants that is) :wink2: Hope they are taken care of, sad that they are abandoned. :crying:

Little Old Lady
10-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Greetings :wave:
Gloomy here today. supposed to be warm though!
Anita sorry about the job, Hang in there. Working for the govt has a lot of retirement and insurance benefits.
sorry about the car problems. Hope they arent' catching!
Odds and ends day!
Hve a good one.
JoAnn

Christie
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Morning All!

Char, my car had an electrical short, needed new CV joints and a muffler. I am dreading the bill, but looking forward to having the car back again... Anyone care to contribute to a fund to pay off my bill?:D

Today I am in at George's school to show them all about dry ice. Looking forward to that because it is always fun to do experiments with kids.:)

Anita, give the job time. Maybe things will settle out as the management gets its head around what everyone is supposed to be doing... Still, why all the testing? Interesting...:)

Char, great costume on Magoo! George gets to wear a costume today as well. Tonight we are off to a school dance at Katie's school. So sad to hear that Thibaut is leaving, but your last trip sounds like a good one.:)

Off to get the stuff ready for school this afternoon. Cooler, candles, matches, bowls, plastic spoons, kettle, measuring cups, food colouring.... :)

Take care.

Starsprite
10-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Here's some good new for chocolate lovers...myself included: Too bad you can't have a whole bunch though. :mad: they suggest one or two small pieces of dark chocolate a day.

A Dark and Healthy Night

Indulging in a sweet treat over the weekend may not be so bad for your health.
When you reach for something sweet, grab a bit of dark chocolate. Recent research suggests it may help relax blood vessels and improve blood flow. That's because it's rich in flavonoids, a type of antioxidant believed to fight aging and disease. Just be sure to stick to a small helping: chocolate is also high in both fat and calories.

RealAge Benefit: Getting the right amount of antioxidants through diet or supplements can make your RealAge 6 years younger.

Originally published on 10/29/2004.

Starsprite
10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
(Crackle sound of speaker) Pat..... report to the Ogden Nash thread immediately.... Pat a.k.a. Europa.... you are needed in the Ogden Nash thread toot sweet..... (crackle sound and hang up) :D

Flattwo
10-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi

Kev, lucky man having visited Sri Lanka, I painted this a while ago to express my anger at the treatment of Elephants, the image is a bit shocking so to those who may be shocked please skip past!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2004/3457-For_Money.jpg

Henry

Roun2it
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Henry this is the first time I can say to you that 'this is dreadful', but then again it is meant to be. How on earth did you capture that skin quality, it is so humanly lifelike. What a tremendous thought provoking image............. lost for words.

Patty and Pat on a much lighter note, one of the items on the TV news today, showed one of the couture houses displaying a dress on the catwalk, it was made of chocolate, with chocolate bits all over it. How far would Pat get on a night out in a dress made of choccy?

She wouldn't even make the taxi!!! :wink2:

Europa
10-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Honestly - anyone would think I was a chocoholic - Pfffffffffffffffft!!!

Henry - very powerful image there - and very effective.

Waving to everyone - havent manage to catch up with all posts since I was here earlier - so bbl. :wave:

Pat

Yorky
10-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone - we're back home :wave:

Sorry haven't caught up with the Wash! yet ;)

We had a really nice week, the hotel, food and entertainment was excellent, and despite the dire warnings of horrible weather to come, we made it through the week without getting wet.

Tuesday I spent a lovely day in the city of Worcester - walked miles photographing Tudor buildings and the Cathedral. The river Severn was in spate and had flooded the quayside and the riverside walk. Sadly Greyfriars, subject of one of Madmum's paintings was closed for the day.

Wednesday Ruth and I met Madmum in Hereford and had a really good chinwag :D Took a photograph of Church Street and Nutter's Cafe that features on Ruth's Christmas card painting. Hereford is sooo interesting - certainly worth exploring in depth. Had a snack in the very church with the spire that featured as Ruth's contribution to the Round Robin painting.

Thursday the coach took us along the Golden Valley to Hay-on-Wye for another fascinating scrounge around the bookshops. Managed to get a copy of Arthur Ransome's "Swallows and Amazons" to take to Detroit. It wa one of son Peter's childhood favourites, and I hope he will be able to read it to little Alexander when he is a little older. It is about a group of children who holiday on Lake Windermere and have adventures involving boats, pirates and secret island caps etc. Should be appropriate as Peter lives on a lake and hopes to get a boat soon.

Today we drove home with a stop in the beautiful market town of Ludlow - also not to be missed if you are touring the UK. Now we are unwinding and trying to catch up with wc! I will post photographs tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Doug

Cathie Jones
10-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Mornin' all (barely, tho - it's 11:50a.m.) - quiet day at work so I though I'd visit a bit with my wet friends.

Kev, tell me more about W&N 140# CP - you bragged so much about it last week that I ordered some. It was shipped yesterday, so should be here soon. Did you say it's easy to lift and it doesn't curl/wrinkle as much as Arches 140#?

JJ should be home now - but she's been gone so long I've forgotten the time difference. Not that it matters after the travel day-and-a-half that they had!

Doug, we must have visited at least a dozen churches-with-spires during our visit, and not one provided snacks! How did you do that??

Henry, that painting is heartbreaking. I don't understand how people can treate defenseless animals so badly.

Char, I wouldn't want to run into Magoo in a dark alley today!! Kinda shows you that you can't judge a book by its cover, though, doesn't it?

Pat - here's one for you

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2004/23460-kiss.gif