PDA

View Full Version : Carnegie Lake, Western Australia

joa
10-28-2004, 03:25 PM
This is from Landsat 7 "Our Earth as Art." If you haven't seen these pictures from the satellite, you really should take a look! You can find them at
http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/earthasart/

Just started and haven't finished blocking in the colors. Did a small amount of detail right in the middle, so am showing that.

joa
10-28-2004, 03:43 PM
I tried to post these pics on my original post--nothing happened. Anyway, here they are:

1) detail from WIP
2) ref pic
3) WIP

Marty C
10-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi joa,
Some of our landscapes when seen from the air or satellite are simply amazing - colours and form to make incredible abstracts except they are indeed real landscapes and not abstract at all. The land in the north, the Pilbara, Gascoyne and Kimberly, has a red iron oxide base and with the greens, tans and orchres of the vegetation and the landforms themselves it is a painter's paradise. Winter painting only though, the summers are extremely hot and in the Kimberly fully monsoonal.
This should make a wonderful piece.

Tridun
10-29-2004, 09:00 AM
What an incredible idea, an abstract that's not. I hope you will post the finished work, I'm sure many will love to see it!

Patricia

joa
10-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Patricia, I'll be posting progress pics, and then the finished piece.

Marty--yes, I think Australia had the best of all the pics (as a group), and Lake Carn. was the best of ALL!

I made some changes in my version. There was just too much in it, and I wanted to simplify some; although it looks great in the photo, it didn't look that good on my canvas.

I'm thinking about doing the Guinea-Bissau soon--there's something about that color combination the grabs me!

Posting a picture of my town. My house is about 1" SSW of the midpoint. :D

joa
10-30-2004, 06:57 AM
Major changes here, to simplify and focus on the lake. Needs more work at the top, and something to keep the right hand side from being boring...

Tridun
10-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Lovin' the idea more and more! Your painting is coming along beautifully!
I went to the website you linked and I was blown away! How did you find a picture of your town? Did not see stuff like that on that particular website.

Patricia

Artguy29
10-30-2004, 10:13 AM
This is really coming along, Joa.
It's a nice combination of a landscape and an abstract piece.
In your reference, there is some red along the right side. Not sure if your planning on addding that, but it may give the painting a nice balance of colors. Don't make it too powerful though; you want the green to be the dominant color.
Good luck!

Dave

gnu
10-30-2004, 04:05 PM
this is looking very cool.. :clap:
I have a shot from this site saved for about 6 mnths, but was unsure of the copyright thing..it's of Mt Taranaki (Egmont), a perfect(more perfect that Fuji) cone volcano (it's THE Mt Fuji in the last samurai movie..they filmed it here..)..it's absoloutely awesome from satellite..

joa
10-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Patricia! I found my town on one of the other NASA websites:
http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/efs/city.htm
Try Available View first and if your city is not listed there,
click on query results, thumbnail and text, then right under that click on cities.
If you don't find your city, check back another time--they're always adding pictures.

Thank you, Dave! I am planning to put some red in there; you can see a small band of red outlining one section of the lake, and I am adding more, but as you say, not too much.

Here I have worked more on the top, and added some dark blue on the right hand side (those little bodies of water are not in the ref., but who know--if it had rained just a little more, they might be! :D )

joa
10-31-2004, 12:02 AM
GNU--this is copied from the site:

You are more than welcome to use our images - they are public domain. You can use this image credit: "Image courtesy of NASA Landsat Project Science Office and USGS EROS Data Center."

joa
10-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Not quite finished with this--just a little refining is all that I'm going to do, and I'm outta here!

Jo

joa
11-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Finished now, and ready to varnish! :) It looks a little dark at the top, but that's the lighting.

This was so much fun to do--the ref pic was just beautiful, and I loved every minute of it. Thinking about doing some more of the "Earth as Art" series!

Jo