PDA

View Full Version : trying illustration

milkman468
10-28-2004, 01:44 AM
this is one of my first attempts at illustration, and definately one of my first attempts at cartoon-y illustration.

also, this is my first time on the forum in about a year.

this illustration is of a dream i was told about that involved appeasing an angry dragon by reading him a story (strange dream).

anyway, i thought it was cute and deserved to be illustrated, so i did.

as i said, i dont illustrate much, but i enjoy doing it(especially pen/brush work). so! any critiques that would help me on my way to improvement would be very helpful!

thanks!

designbyjen
10-28-2004, 11:32 PM
hi & welcome back! :)
if you didn't mention pen/brush & ink...i would've thout this was a linoleum cut print! nice triagular composition that keeps the eye moving.
i think the back hill lowered just a tad more to the rt. shoulder of your storybook 'hostage' (to avoid the tangency) could make this stronger.
also more 'angry expression' for the dragon...a big fang--pointy teeth. make the eyebrow pointy instead of a calm curve.
your 'hostage' is right on...eyes like that are unsettling & give that 'walking on eggshells' feel.
sticking to a really graphic style is tough but can yield a lot of creative experimentation w/in those confines. keep plugging away...look'in good so far ;)
~~~jen

coolray
10-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Well I like this! Very good use of light and dark. I love the whimsy of it too.

I hope you show more of this kind of work. Oh, and don't stay away so long! :) Welcome back!

Terry

milkman468
10-29-2004, 01:46 AM
actually, if you like this style (which is a great compliment)(thanks) i actually did a whole story book this summer about miguel hidalgo of mexico in this style. that was my first illustration project. however, it was a bit more realistic.

here it is!

oh, and i am always open to both comments and criticisms!

oh, and by the way, i didnt even notice the eyes thing, but now that you mention it, it really does fit :) .

www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic1.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic2.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic3.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic4.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic5.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic6.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic8.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic9.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic10.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic11.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic12.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic13.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic14.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic15.JPG
www.tremorseven.com/mike/comic0.JPG

the pictures go with the story, so without the story, some of the pictures are a little confusing (as i assume most illustrations to be) but the story was really poorly writen, by me, and i dont feel like posting that here too.

JayD
10-31-2004, 09:51 PM
I like the style too--the image reminds me of the story of the reluctant dragon.

Meldy
11-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Ever thought about printmaking? Your style lends itself well to a wood or linoleum cut. :)