PDA

View Full Version : Oil on acrylic

Eleonora Manapova
10-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm new member here :wave:
I'm never used acrylic before, and I'm interesting : May I paint with oils on acrylic underpainting without varnishes. :confused:
If I used a lot of Gloss Liquine for acrylic paint - is it OK to refine this painting by oil paint? Should I cover my acrylic pic by some retouch varnish before oil?

:cat:

Laura Morena
10-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Hello Nandia and welcome to Wet Canvas! :wave:
I have painted many times over acrylic with oil paints and I have not had any problems. I do not use a varnish or any other medium in between. (Sometimes I start a painting in acrylic when traveling for convenience since it dries so quickly, then when I get home I may add details in oil). I am not sure if there are any long term effects of this though (Like acrylic cracking under oil after many years). Anyone else have any problems with this technique? :confused:

Einion
10-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Within limits you can paint with oils on top of acrylics without too many worries. Generally if you're working over acrylic 'gesso' primer and you paint a sketchy underpainting in acrylics and you've kept them relatively thin it should work fine.

I wouldn't recommend painting on a complete acrylic paint film, especially if the acrylics are relatively glossy, as this won't provide a good surface for the oil paint to cling to and you may get problems down the line. If you do have a painting like this that is very complete that you'd like to work over with in oils it's probably a good idea to scuff up the surface with fine sandpaper or a Scotchbrite pad, just a little to provide some 'tooth'.

Einion

Eleonora Manapova
10-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Thank you for answers... my worries are exactly about using a lot of glossy liquine for acrylic underpaint, but if nobody knows how this mix will behave in future :rolleyes: - we can only hope that it will be ok :)
:cat:

Einion
10-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Thank you for answers... my worries are exactly about using a lot of glossy liquine for acrylic underpaint, but if nobody knows how this mix will behave in future
I think part of the problem is we're not sure what "Gloss Liquine" is I'm afraid. Do you mean a gloss acrylic medium?

Einion