PDA

View Full Version : Tablet PC for digital art

bigblackbox
10-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Has anyone tried this? Read anything about it? Thoughts? The tablets seem like they could be the computer and Wacom all in one, but I don't know if they work well with, or were designed for, image editing software. I would think so, but the ads all seem to be about business uses (taking notes during a meeting...).

SoniKalien
10-28-2004, 05:11 AM
I haven't seen one in the flesh, but from what I can tell, they are closer to a sketch pad than a stretched and primed canvas, if u catch my drift.

I guess it's pointing the way for better things to come. Wacom already has a similar sort of thing but its not portable and a tad expensive.

bigblackbox
10-28-2004, 01:22 PM
I haven't seen one in the flesh, but from what I can tell, they are closer to a sketch pad than a stretched and primed canvas, if u catch my drift..

Sorry, I'm not sure if I catch your drift ;)

Are you saying that they aren't capable of higher end graphics work (yet?)?

I guess for your metaphor, I know what the "sketch pad" is, but I'm not sure what "stretched and primed canvas" would be - the latest, greatest Mac?

JCoop
10-28-2004, 01:27 PM
I know of one person who has the Tablet PC and really likes it. I've had my eye on them for a while now. I think they have huge potential in the digital art world, I'm just waiting to see what the very next generation of tablets will have to offer. I think the main thing is that you need a decent size screen and it would have to eliminate glare. I really want one, but I'm making myself wait.

nafa
10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Tablet PC will not be too fantastic for digital art for the more demanding artists. I have read more and more about people needing 21" and 24" monitors, and some using two of those. Big screen and tablet PC just wont go together, so tablet PC will at best be the electonic version of the sketch book, supplementing the electronic version of the canvas for the serious digital artist. Obviously, it would be another story for the casual ones.

nancy_kelpie
10-29-2004, 07:43 AM
tablets are great if you want to make digital art !!!
I have a Trust (I think its a dutch brand) myself and I think its very handy! :)
I have heard Wacom tablets are the best, but with my Trust tablet I have never had any problems! So if you want so spare some money you can also look for another brand I think.

You have different sizes... I have an A4 tablet and I think its the best size. You have a lot of space to draw and it fits on most computertables. Bigger than A4 is reallynot necesarry I think... or you should draw with your shoulder insteat of your wrist :wink2: Smaller is an option, it depends on how you draw. Do you really draw with your wrist you can also buy a smallerone, but do you also a little bit with your elbow you should pick A4.

What do you want to make? Art, or things like logotypes?
for both things its handy :)

you have to be able to draw on paper allready with a normal pencil, else it doesnt make much sense to buy a tablet!

SoniKalien
11-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Erm, I think we are talking about these (http://images.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/11070048%20(Small).JPG) .