PDA

View Full Version : url for pictures

CathyD
11-05-2001, 01:16 AM
I know this has probably been addressed before, but I couldn't find it.... I was trying to set up on ebay an About Me page and it asked for an url for pictures.

On my auction I have always used the picture service there, so have had no need for an url. Then I tried to create one by storing images in my Yahoo briefcase, but the trouble with that is it takes the viewer right to that sight and then gives them the option to print the image!!! That won't do, I don't want to make it easier for people to violate copyright! I kind of remember someone mentioning a site for pictures.

Help!:(

tammy
11-05-2001, 02:03 AM
Cathy,
I don't know who you use as a ISP or web server but most ISP's include server space on their server in case you want to have a website under their name. Hard to explain but I have an ISP and they give me so much space on their server for a web site. I make the site and then ftp the files to their server where it has a storage place for me. Then when I want to put an image on the internet somewhere I tranfer the jpg file (ftp)etc to that place on my ISP's server which from there I can put the photo on the internet like eBay by putting in that file name. For instance, url for my web site is http://www.wf.net/~tammy. But if it is the url for just a photo that I want to put on like eBay the file name would be http://www.wf.net/~tammy/nameofpicture.jpg. A copy would then be transfered from my ISP's web server, where I had ftped it earlier, to eBay etc.
I also find some javascript that one can put in their html which prevents someone from right clicking to copy the photo but eBay does not allow javascript on your item listings. Some folks use watermarks on their images or they reduce the quality of the image so that it will not print out or reproduce well if saved by someone. Don't know if that helps or not. I don't explain well.

tammy
11-05-2001, 02:08 AM
Also I think there are other picture hosting places, like I'm rather new on Paypal but if you are a member I believe that they may do picture hosting. I'm not sure about say Auctionwatch.com or someone like that. You might look around. Andale who does the honesty counters may also, I'm just not sure.