PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is still willing to help me (after the nasty pic)

Magally
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm about to give this photo I shot. I LOVE this! Thanks to lisilk for the beautiful photo.
I've already layed some light washes and have a pretty good idea where I want to go. My question, the slight grooves in the wood? How would you approach this? There's a slight bit of pencil showing through the drawing. I admit, I had to trace this. I cannot draw anything (correctly) with angles, and such. Or, I could, and it would take about a week (if lucky) to get it all right.
Thanks in advance!....well, guess I better get it uploaded, first. :o

Magally
10-26-2004, 07:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=32667&sort=1&cat=all&page=2

droll13
10-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Nice photo & subject - I can see why you want to have a go at this.

Regarding the grooves in the wood (I assume you mean the horizonal boards on the walls), one option is to scratch lines while a wash is still wet (not sopping, but not merely damp either). Maybe a toothpick or the bevelled end of a brush handle, even a butter knife. If done at the right time and with the right pressure, this will cause the pigment in the still wet wash to settle in the groove you make, and you'll have a darker line of the same color as the wet wash. Takes some practice, but it's pretty effective.

Magally
10-26-2004, 08:11 PM
That's a new one for me. I'll give that a shot - practice it first.
Sounds like timing is going to be tricky.
Thanks, Dave. :D

Strawberry Wine
10-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Hi Syl:

Just took a look at your nasty pic :D :evil: :D

Davidbr has a WIP on painting wood in the gallery. Check it out it is awesome. Here is the link http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135050

Cheers,

Gail

Fireman's kid
10-27-2004, 10:24 AM
I would love to help you out, but this pic is a tough one and way beyond my current skills.

I have heard of the scratch method Dave mentioned, but I have a difficult time judging the wetness of the paper so I've not tried it.

Good luck with this. I hope you let us see the finished piece in the gallery. :)

pampe
10-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm sure that is you post your painting in the GAL:LERY, you will get plenty of help :)

Magally
10-27-2004, 11:20 AM
I hope to post it by the end of the week. Last night I did a couple washes and worked in some darks.
I DID try Dave's method on a small floor area, and it worked! :clap:
However, Stacy,....it IS just as tricky as I thought. I may practice the technique some more before I get into a larger area.
:wink2:

FriendCarol
10-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi! If you "push" the paint away (very firmly, with a hard but smooth object) when the paper is still quite wet, you get lightness; this technique is used a lot to make birch trees, for example. If, at a later stage of dryness, you scratch/bruise the paper fibers, on the other hand, the slightly wet paint seeps into the bruised area, makikng it darker.

So the effect will be light against dark, or dark against light, depending on timing! But it's not too hard. Just don't try to do too many (lines) at once. (You can't keep the paper wet enough to do a large area at one time, so do it in sections.)

Magally
10-27-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm having pretty good luck with Dave's technique. But you definitely have to go with small areas (thanks, Carol).
Now I'm stumped on a color mixture for the pews. Currently, I've got a crimson/lavender thing going on. I'd like to get this closer to the actual photo before it gets too dark....any ideas, folks?
Thanks! :)