PDA

View Full Version : "Little Pup" WIP

Artguy29
10-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone!
Here's a WIP of my current painting. I will be listing the colors used in case you want to paint along:
9"x12" acrylic on canvas. I will be using Grumbacher, Liquitex, and Winsor & Newton paints.
C&C welcome and greatly appreciated.

Photo 1: Reference photo from the library

Photo 2: I sketched in the basic outline of the dog itself, as well as the fence. I'm not too concerned with anything at this point; just placing in the shapes. (Dog- Yellow Ochre Light, Fence- Yellow Ochre Light & Raw Umber)

Photo 3: I started to block in the background foliage. I only used the reference photo to get an idea for the colors; I didn't think it was important to match up every piece of foliage, so I made it slightly looser and impressionistic. From how it looks, I think I will need a second coat. ( Foliage- Hookers Green, Pthalo Blue Green Shade, Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Raw Umber)

More updates to come!!

Bertoni
10-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to the updates!!!

Artguy29
10-26-2004, 07:40 PM
I was unable to work on this today; I appoligize for the delay.

Dave

Tridun
10-27-2004, 08:06 AM
MORE MORE MORE!! :clap:
Can't wait to see this 'little pup'

Patricia

Lady Carol
10-27-2004, 11:18 AM
I was unable to work on this today; I appoligize for the delay.

Dave

Not good enough Dave. I have been sitting here waiting for the next installment. My coffee has gone cold. My foot is tired from all the tapping...... :D

bjcpaints
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Awwwwwwwwww
Sorry, it was obligatory - the pup is so cute!
Barbara

Artguy29
10-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, I got back to the easel today and got a fair amount accomplished.

Photo 1: I started to block in and underpaint the fence on which he is leaning on. I changed around the format of the fence slightly from the orginal sketch. I then covered the remaining portion of the sketch with a thin coat of Yellow Ochre Light. (Fence- Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Mars Black, Pthalo Blue Green Shade, Ultramarine Blue)

Photo 2: At this point, I thickend the background foliage using the same colors as before with the exception of Pthalo Green. The fence posts were roughed in and highlighted. The major part of this step was the top of the fence. I applied the paint very thickly over the underpainting, being sure to leave some of my darks for contrast. (Background Foliage- same colors as previous foliage step, Pthalo Green; Fence- Titanium White, Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue Green Shade, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Mars Black)

Photo 3: I made some minor changes to the background to balence it out. I also placed in the eye, but it's not looking right. Suggestions??? (Eye- Mars Black, Titanium White, Pthalo Blue Green Shade, Raw Umber)

That should do it for this session. I'm probably not going to get a chance to work on this tomorrow; I've been very busy lately. I appreciate all C&C.
Thanks!

Dave

Artguy29
10-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Here's another update:

Photo 1: I'm continuing to build up layers in the background, now using very thick paint. My goal is to get a nice texture by not smoothing out all of the little "paint blobs".
I started to block in the basic colors and shape of the nose. It still needs some work, but at least I have a good foundation.
I also fixed the eye which was standing out at me (in a bad way, that is :D ). I think it's much better than before, but this,too, needs some more work. By the way, this is not a one-eyed dog! I painted over the eye to the right because I noticed that the placement was rather off. (Eye- Titanium White, Raw Umber, Cerulean, Pthalo Blue Green Shade, Mars Black; Nose- Mars Black, Raw Umber, Titanium White, Pthalo Blue Green Shade, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue)

I have included a close-up of the dog itself.
Comments & Critiques are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Dave

Artguy29
10-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Starting to look like a dog, eh?!

I croped out the background so you can focus on the dog.
Well, I started to work on the first layer of fur. I'm just blocking in the basic colors following what I like to call "the under-over method". This is basically taking a dark color (the "under" part, as in "underpainting") and then putting a lighter color (the "over" part, as in "overpainting"), which is the actual color I am trying to achieve. Although I'm just working on placing the colors, it's mandatory to follow the direction in which the fur is growing.
I've also continuted touching up the eyes and nose (well, actually painting the other one :D ), but they still need some more work.
As always, C&C welcome!

Dave

Artguy29
10-29-2004, 05:40 PM
I accidentally made this post; not sure how to delete it.

Artguy29
10-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Continuing to work on the fur, using same colors as before.
C&C always welcome and appreciated!
Thanks for looking!

Dave

TxAggieDarlin
10-31-2004, 09:42 AM
awwwww is he going to be cute or what???