PDA

View Full Version : I have a commission!!!!

joa
10-25-2004, 01:41 PM
A friend of a friend wants me to paint her little dog!!! OMG, now I'm scared--what if I can't get it right? and how do I figure out how much to ask for it (if I do get it right)? Has anybody else felt this way with their first commission?

Jo

Lady Carol
10-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Congratulations.

You want to settle on the price up front.

busy91
10-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Congratulations! Relax, think of it as a project for you, not as a commission. You won't mess up. :)

jbitzel
10-25-2004, 02:15 PM
You will do fine, and you must show us the final results. :wave: James

Donald_Smith
10-25-2004, 04:45 PM
I understand how you feel. I've had 4 people ask me to paint paintings for them. Mind you, these are close friends, and these are gifts, not commissions. Even so, I was and am uncomfortable with these because I think, "What if they don't like them?" Which is what I think your feeling. Plus, you have the extra pressure of getting paid. I much prefer for a friend to look through my paintings and say "Wow! I really like this one." and give it to them than from them to say, "Can you paint me such and such?"

Best wishes,
Don
PS: I would really HATE the added pressure of getting paid, and the fear of them not liking the painting once I had poured my heart and soul into it.

jbitzel
10-25-2004, 04:53 PM
but sometimes it may be that added pressure that fuels our best work. :wave: James

bjcpaints
10-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi and congratulations Jo! Think of it this way...obviously this person is admiring your work and feels confident that you can do the job. Take that and put it into your work. You can do it! Ask for a few good photos - different views and the name and sex of the dog. It will help you greatly if you've never "met" the animal. Have fun and just get into it.
Barbara

joa
10-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your support and calming words, everyone! I appreciate your confiidence in me, and I feel a little calmer now.

I sent word to her to send me some snapshots, but if they are not what I need I will take some pics myself. She doesn't live far from me, and I may go to her house to meet the dog anyway.

I will definitely post the painting when it's done, James!

(I'm still a little nervous though.)

Jo

jonesbf
10-27-2004, 12:43 PM
I felt the same with my first commissioned portrait. It was for a guy I work with and I told him upfront that if it didn't turn out he was completely off the hook, but that I was going to give it my best. Here is the result:

Doberman (http://www.ghargoyle.com/Gallery/images/painting/Doberman.JPG)

I knew I was on the right track when my son came in and said "Why is the doggie angry?"

TxAggieDarlin
10-27-2004, 02:11 PM
How exciting......

you can always post here and ask for help; that is what I would do. There are so many talented people that I know they would help you if you get stuck..Have fun with it.