PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Break! 10/25 - 11-01

designbyjen
10-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Illustration Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

Grab a cuppa joe and here we go!

:music: oh what a beauuuutiful morning :music: oh what a beauuuutiful day :music: i am look'in out the window admiring the 'fire' of the trees...while it lasts!
finally adjusting to decaf...really can notice the diff....even w/ my sinus pressure, i'm not getting the splitting headaches now.
have a good week everybody. after lasts weeks posts...i wanna vacation!
!~~~jen

AFM159
10-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey gang!

:music: Here comes Halloween! Here comes Holloween! :music:

Got a costume? I love Halloween! Still working on my costume, I prefer to conceptualize and collect all the parts for my costumes myself, rather than buying one off the rack.

One year not too long ago, I came into possession of a 1970's era polyester leisure suit (white pants, pink jacket), so naturally for Halloween I was a player/swinger/gigilo, got a curly haired wig, a bushy moustache, lots of jewelry and cologne. You could smell me from 10 feet away! Before the party I was going to I had to stop at Wal-Mart for some snacks, so I walked the walk and talked the talk! It was sooooo, funny!

Last year I went in drag! What a hoot! I knew I couldn't pull off a skinny, sexy look, so I went for a Dustin Hofman Tootsie look. I figured I could run down to the local thrift shop and get a dress no problem, right? Wrong. I had the hardest time finding one that would fit over my shoulders! And the arms! I guess I have ape arms or something, all the sleeves were too short. I finally managed to pull it off, though. Had an absolute blast!

This year, I'm goin for the more traditional horror, scarry costume. An evil undead priest! HA! LOL! Still workin on it, gotta be just right.

How'bout ya'll? Any costumers?

-------

Oh, btw, I wanted to thank Larry for stoping by our little Coffee Break last week!

Sketch22
10-26-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, good luck with the costume Dave,

I am not big on halloween, but if I were going to choose to dress up as someone, I would be Master Chief, the main character of my favorite X-box game = Halo..... only two weeks until Halo 2 hits stores!! woo hoo....

sorry, I get a little juvenile when it comes to that game, it is the only one I play, I know lots of other perfectly normal adults who get together and link x-boxes to play.... to me it is a way for adults to go back to the basics of playing good guys and bad guys. My husband and I do pretty well in a group game. The sequel is highly anticipated, we have our copy on reserve and the mall back where we used to live is opening up at midnight just to throw a big party for the Halo'ers. too bad we can't make it....

between the anticipation of Halo 2 and all the election coverage, I don't have time for haloween...

by the way, if anyone out there likes to play halo and you are an adult-type aged type person, there is a freaking hilarious comedy series that is made using the Halo game characters as the actors, it is called Red vs Blue and you download short episodes each week. Be sure to go back and watch the first and second season first, it is hilariously funny, there is some bad language in the first season however, but later, they have cleaned up versions to choose from. still, it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen... (another is the old british comedy Red Dwarf!) check it out at www.redvsblue.com

Later!

designbyjen
10-27-2004, 10:10 AM
aw dave, you sucker...yer sett'in yourself up...we KNOW there are pictures...we want to SEE the pictures (esp. of you in drag!!!!!!!!!!) my mom & dad are huge costume fanatics. picture my dad...he looks like hitler w/ a nice round belly on him...now picture him in drag. i think he might've had to use a maturnity dress--ha ha. he'd walk around w/ his finger over his mustache.
i used to get into it too, but now every year we go to a harvest party. potluck, bring a bag of candy & leave w/ an assortment...the kids run around & play, hayride, bon fire etc. just a nice time & no worries.
oh, dave...i just had an idea...how about you carry around a collection plate w/ ears & eyeballs & fingers & gross stuff on it?....ew...make em' edible too...that would really be a grosser=outter!
sketch...after sega genisis...i quit gaming--ha ha. i was a sonic fan. maybe when my kids get older i'll get back into stuff...but i can't even keep up w/ reading my artist's magazine subscription. cycles of life i guess.
well, i'll check back for those picts. dave...*snort-snort*
~~~jen

AFM159
10-27-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I know, I saw it coming. There are pics, but, well.....we'll see.

I like the collection plate idea. Now, where to get one with such short notice and with out upseting any church types? Hmmmmmmm.......

I also thought about serving evil communion. But I didn't want to go overboard and offend others. :evil: ah well.....

-----

My last official gamming system was a used Nintendo 64 back in college! I did play some games with my very first PC. Things like Zork, Castle Wolfenstien, and The Bards Tale. After college, though, my computer was already grossly outdated and I went with out for a number of years, then when I got back into computers I had too many other things to do, and then came kids......

I love to play though, and never miss a chance to slip into an arcade for a few rounds of something or another.

LOL...I keep telling my wife that, ya know, eventually our kids are gonna get old enough to start wanting a game system, and it might be a good idea for me to already have one so that I can preview the games for them! :angel:

designbyjen
10-27-2004, 10:30 PM
oh, oh oh...i've seen gold or silver 'chargers' that are a good size & may not have a deep enough dip in the middle to be a collection plate...but would do the job for sure. got something like an 'old time pottery' near you? or maybe a saucer for a planter & spray it gold or silver...do a plastic one & put a hole in the middle then you could have fun w/ your finger sticking up the hole & wiggling as you come up to people. course...then it probably won't look so much like a collection plate then...being a saucer...but if you glue some coins in there it will.
i love brainstorming if you can't tell.
well, i spent all my 'play-time' in here...at least my thumbs aren't sore :rolleyes:
~~~jen

coolray
10-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey all!

Gosh I'm late! I didn't realize that it was another week! LOL *Gulps hot coffee* YEEEEEEEHHHAAAAAA! That's hot!

Halloween. Seems to be the topic these days. I will not wear a mask. I don't need to. LOL But any of you who choose to dress up, we wanna see pics!

We don't do much Halloween here. Mostly because it's a rural area. Not many people here. But we do have an Autumn party. Lots of hot dogs to roast, hay rides, and singing. Love it. I will bring my guitar, and using my golden throat to croon the goblins. heheh.

I will be going on a trip to NY state in less than two weeks. It's the first time I will have gotten to spend some time there. I hope to have fun. It's a business trip mostly, but I will have fun too.

Well, I must be off! Lots to do before I have to pack!!!

*swissssh!*

TedDawson
10-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Well, I've had an interesting week. Freelancing will be taking a back door to a Real Job. I was offered a position as an illustrator at a children's educational publisher in South Carolina. I can't remember the last time, if ever, that I ran across a job for a staff illustrator, let alone one looking for someone who can draw fun, cartoony stuff for kids. And there are seven other illustrators, so it should be a fun environment. They're building a new facility and (Dave, you should appreciate this) it's designed to look like a castle.

So anyways, we'll be moving the first of the year to become South Carolinians. It's near the foothills and beautiful out there. This will allow my wife to stay home with the kids. It'll also allow me to focus my freelancing on the areas I'm most interested in.

Dave, I'd like to see your costume. You can have the most fun with old clothes. I've discovered that you can be a much more effective zombie or monster if you have an old suit you can mess around with.

Thing that has miffed me about Halloween this year is that folks seem intent on messing with the holiday. It's nice that so many different organizations in the community have set up special things for the kids on Friday and Saturday, but I'm hoping there will actually be kids trick-or-treating on actual Halloween night tonight. When did this become a Satanic holiday? It's supposed to just be a fun night for kids.

Remember when the ol' Razor Blade scare started? Didja know that never happened, and never has? We're going trick-or-treating tonight... me and my little Jedi Vampire and Princess! If we don't, the Terrorists win! ;)

Axl
10-31-2004, 10:48 PM
wow MOVING that sounds pretty exciting!! Congratulations on your new possition, ted!

Sounds like y'all have been busy! I've been busy too. School has been crazy and I'm getting super overwhelmed! I forgot to hand in my registration last week so I'm not even sure if i'M gonig back next semester *rolls eyes* But if I DONT' go back I might be moving, too. heh. I think this year will be my last (if i even make it to may) It is only mid term and I'm already feeling encredibly burnt out. I have no social life, hardly any time to work to support myself, get maybe 3 -4 hours of sleep a night, and I spend every waking moment that I'm not at school or work doing school work. I'm feelng zapped. Its too intense this year! And I found out that I need to go back and retake one of my foundation courses... argh. I managed to scrwem yself over last year appearently, by taking fine arts (thinking i'd be painting) instead of the design course (which is pre-req for EVERYTHING i want to take now. argh.)

I'm an Illustrator now. heh. Well. see my class was approached by Halifax Reional Municipality to come up with an illustration to be used on some brochure they are making. Anyways, my ilustration won, so I got payed by the city and now thousands of these brochures with my illustration on it will be published and distributed to EVERYONE in the area. How messed up is that!!! Its gonna be kinda weird,i think, but really cool! My parents dont even know so i'm sure they will be surprized when I come down home and hand them these brochures with my drawing all over it. heh.

Anyways I must get back to something more productive. I just had to tel y'all about the brochure thing heh.

will see you guys later ^.^