PDA

View Full Version : Realistic children's book illustrations

CoolArtiste
10-25-2004, 04:45 AM
I was wondering if you guys think there's a market for realistic, fine quality children's book illustrations. I was thinking of drawings/paintings along the lines of the original Alice in Wonderland drawings by John Tenniel, Little Nemo in Slumberland, Dinotopia, . There seems to be a lot of children's book illustrations nowadays that have more childlike drawings and very focused on style. Is there still a market for really sophisticated draftsmanship, with excellent anatomy and architecture done in perspective, etc.?

designbyjen
10-25-2004, 09:55 AM
some things are trendy & some things are timeless. i think any sort of realism has a better chance falling in the 'timeless' catagory. if this is your style of passion...i think bugging publishers w/ a full portfolio of it would be the thing to do. the writing is important too...it needs to match...which a publisher would be keen on.
so, do you have some teasers to show...or is this just a direction of consideration for you? *show your prettys--pretty please?*
;) ~~~jen

TedDawson
10-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Sure there is... take a trip to your children's library or the book store. Check out stuff by David Weisner, Mike Wimmer, Chris van Allsburg, Ted Lewin, CF Payne. It all depends on what the best vehicle is to tell a story.

CoolArtiste
10-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Jen, no I don't have that stuff yet, but it's the direction I want to go.
I've studied perspective and anatomy, and now I'm studying anatomy again, really hard this time, and I've started trying to draw figures from imagination. I finally figured out what I need to work on. I have visions dancing in my head though. I wish I could show you my visions! :) Ted, thanks for the names.

piper2
10-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Here's the thing: well, two things really, in my opinion. I think that children's books are unique in the children's entertainment/ toy/ diversion department because they are really meant to be more appealing to moms than they are to kids. If you stroll into a children's book aisle, you can see some lush, rich illustrations that a young child might not appreciate, but you can sure bet that Mom looks at it and says "Wow, that's beautiful." Realistic illustrations, beautifully set and wondrously fearful in their likeness to reality, definitely have a place in that world.

And second of all, the more fantastic the story, I think the more appropriate realistic art is. If you are reading a story about a dragon or an imaginary land, wouldn't you like to see it the way that it really is?

And I agree, if you have realistic drawings/ paintings, bring them on!

Maggie

designbyjen
10-26-2004, 02:19 PM
you're on a great start! keep studying life & scribble your visions--even if they are just shape placement. eventually both worlds will meet for you w/ all that dedicated study. ;)
~~~jen
p.s. be encouraged by the masters that painted floating angels & figures in every perspective on church celings