PDA

View Full Version : Waht's on your easel? 25th Oct

gnu
10-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Here's what's still on mine, PLUS my NEW easel!! yay..I bought it at the art show and the sold painting pays for it with some left over!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2004/7242-IMG_8599easel_sm.jpg

and the painting, which I won't have to remove to photograph,..cool..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2004/7242-IMG_8600_vine_sm.jpg
so now, what's on your easel??
Gill

Charlie's Mum
10-25-2004, 07:32 AM
Oh you lucky girl you!!!!!
A great new easel and lovely painting to boot! :clap:
Congrats on the sale and the purchase....now, if I can just find the time to get something onto my easel.........!!!!!!!!! :D

TxAggieDarlin
10-25-2004, 09:20 AM
LOL...........the same picture that was there last week and the week before........am I slow or WHAT?

Beautiful picture...great colors.

joa
10-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Congratulation on your sale, and especially on your new easel!

The painting is beautiful. Are you going to do something else to it? You could leave it just as it is--to me it is complete.

Jo

damar
10-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Congrats gnu! What's on my easel? The same still life from last week (now dubbed "the still life from he--") :rolleyes:
I didn't like the shadow under the bowl and started fussing with it and ended up painting over the whole area a few times. I tried a few different approcahes to the shadow and now when I go back and look at my WIP pics, I realize, I should have just left it alone. I learn best when I have to learn the hard way, I guess! :confused:

Lady Carol
10-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Very nice easel. I see that the price tag is still on it :evil: :D :D :evil:

And the painting is impressive as well.

joa
10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Nothing on my easel yet. Getting ready to gesso a board, so by this afternoon it should be on my easel.l :D

Jo

gnu
10-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Hey You guys..this is still the same painting on mine than the last easel too you know..I haven't been fast with this one...
I think the leaves are too splotchy..I'll add some veins maybe(lighter) and see how they look..still got some shading and grapes to do.
thanks for the comments on it though..I'm pleased with the jewel like qualities in the grapes, got the inspiration for my goal for these as I went along..For a green grape I used either blue and dipped the knife in a bit of green, or dark green and dipped knife in a bit of lighter green/blue..it's really really fun playing with knives!!:D:D:D
I'm a pateint girl..I'll wait for you guys to put up your new ones/do a little more on YOUR existing ones..PS this one may STILLbe there in a week, though I will try to complete it..pondering time is good..

texasboy
10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
My oldest daughter wanted for me to paint my grandson and herself a painting for his 4th birthday/Christmas so I am and I will describe it to all of you and show it to you when I finish it. Understand that he likes dinosaurs and dragons.
I am painting a flying dragon with my grandson riding on the dragon's shoulders fighting a T-Rex on top of a volcano with a full moon in a cloudy sky. I really needed to make his image a little older than 4 because I have never attempted to paint a child. It's coming along. I hope that it doesn't give the little guy nightmares because the sky looks kind of like some werewolf or Frankenstein kind of sky. The tough thing for me is trying to blend the darn acrylics to have smooth gradations of colors (that's what I'm trying to build as bases or layers and add additional layers of details/colors and whatnots). I'll shoot you guys a photo when I'm finished and hope that some of you don't thrash me too severly for my efforts

jonesbf
10-25-2004, 05:35 PM
A commission:
New Commission (http://www.ghargoyle.com/images/footholdrachel1.jpg)

The client wants a "stormy sky".

Artguy29
10-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Just started to sketch out this little pup. Isn't he cute?!?!?!?!! :)

Dave

damar
10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
All I have left to do is further develop the shadows, the knife and the bowl.
I'm still undecided as to whether I'll redo the walls in the background.

damar
10-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Just started to sketch out this little pup. Isn't he cute?!?!?!?!! :)

Dave
:) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh -- what a fweety! Hope you post a WIP thread!

Artguy29
10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Damar,
I just started a WIP thread. It's listed as " 'Little Pup' WIP".
Dave

damar
10-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Damar,
I just started a WIP thread. It's listed as " 'Little Pup' WIP".
Dave
Thanks Artguy---I've been there to see it, (so far-so good!) and will keep an eye on it.
I want to paint one of my dogs, but don't feel like I have the skill yet, so hopefully I'll get some pointers from your wip thread.
thanks! :)

damar
10-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Ok, after re-working the shadow about 5 times, I have finally decided to accept it. This pic was taken in evening/low light with no flash, so it's a little dark. I am seriously considering those background walls and thinking a mixture of cad red deep and burnt umber. The chairs (unfinished) are lost in the light background.

Complicated Artist
10-26-2004, 04:45 AM
My easle is empty...=(

*looks for money in the seat cusions of the sofa*

:p

I just finished a painting and am getting ready to sell it so I can buy a new canvas.

Complicated Artist

gnu
10-26-2004, 04:50 AM
hey Complicated, we all bin there..I remember buying canvas one month, one colour of paint the next..maybe.. and having to just wait until I had what I needed..the blessing was the real cheap brushes..
I just mentioned lots of art needs whenever birthday or Christmas was mentioned..and got it too..!
little pup is looking cute...

gnu
10-26-2004, 04:53 AM
Ok, after re-working the shadow about 5 times, I have finally decided to accept it. This pic was taken in evening/low light with no flash, so it's a little dark. I am seriously considering those background walls and thinking a mixture of cad red deep and burnt umber. The chairs (unfinished) are lost in the light background.
yup that BG colour doesn't quite fit the rest of the palette(just MHO)..I'd love to see that deep copper glow in the bowl.. repeated or hinted at..the chairs could do this..and yes warms on that wall will work well..I think..
this is looking super good..

gnu
10-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Jones that's one neato sky..looks like you fulfilled the commission already!

Donald_Smith
10-26-2004, 10:07 AM
This is an under painting. The colors aren't right, but I kind of like it the way it is, because it causes me to feel relaxed when I look at it. Anyway, it will eventually be a Wren sitting on a fence post in a field of grass.

Don

damar
10-26-2004, 12:52 PM
yup that BG colour doesn't quite fit the rest of the palette(just MHO)..I'd love to see that deep copper glow in the bowl.. repeated or hinted at..the chairs could do this..and yes warms on that wall will work well..I think..
this is looking super good..
Hi Gnu, yeah I new from the get-go that the wall wasn't going to work. :rolleyes:
My biggest concern is using a warm color; it may be over-doing the warms, which I have a tendency to do. Trying to do still life on my table wasn't a great idea because of all the light to neutral tones in my house.
I'll attach a pic of the composition; I added the knife later. Behind the chair on the left is a dark side board table which I chose to leave out.
Thanks for the suggestions!

gnu
10-26-2004, 02:50 PM
aha, I think you need the wall to recede more...so perhaps not as light in tone? and more de saturated still....perhaps a couple of glazes with a suitable colour..a duller green? seek some more advice, but in the ref the BG stays in the BG..:D:D
My the items are crafted superbly here..table, fruit, cloth all look so believable and real..and the bowl... :clap: :clap: :clap: wonderful ..

gnu
10-26-2004, 02:52 PM
This is an under painting. The colors aren't right, but I kind of like it the way it is, because it causes me to feel relaxed when I look at it. Anyway, it will eventually be a Wren sitting on a fence post in a field of grass.

Don
it's neat eh?..well you could always leave it and call it a wren sitting on a post in a field!! :D:D:D
I love how you have not made any unnattractive(IMO) mixes here..can I ask your palette so far?
please?
ta..

lensman
10-26-2004, 03:40 PM
The tough thing for me is trying to blend the darn acrylics to have smooth gradations of colors
Ah, yes, the bane of the acrylic artist...

Glenn

joa
10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Texasboy , we all like to see works in progress (WIP), so why don't you show us pictures of your painting as you progress? That would be very interesting, I think, especially with a subject like yours!

damar
10-26-2004, 04:59 PM
aha, I think you need the wall to recede more...so perhaps not as light in tone? and more de saturated still....perhaps a couple of glazes with a suitable colour..a duller green? seek some more advice, but in the ref the BG stays in the BG..:D:D
My the items are crafted superbly here..table, fruit, cloth all look so believable and real..and the bowl... :clap: :clap: :clap: wonderful ..
Hi Gnu, Thanks! You brought up the issue of receding the back wall. I agree.
Know what bugs me the most? The horiz. hard line of the chair rail that slices the wall that I don't want to call much attention to.
Maybe its more that than the wall color. I may let it sit for a day or so and ponder a solution. I'm too over-focused on the problem right now, and I have learned that, being over-focused can lead to "canvas-ruin"! (ie: "I just thought I was going to tweak it a little and--and---" :( LOL!
The WIP you have on your easel is very rich looking. I love the loose style you are using with the choice of color. It looks like oils. :clap:

damar
10-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Ok, I took the pic of the painting into a graphics program and selected out the background, then printed it on water color paper. The print out colors are muddy and not very clear but, this is a CRUDE experiment!
I slopped in some green over top of a cobalt wash (cool colors recede).
Its dark, sloppy and doesn't contain any of the usual ambient color variation, but it has given me an opinion that maybe cooler color doesn't matter much at this point.
( :confused: ) LOL, actually I love the challenge here.

texasboy
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
OK, I'll start doing some Work In Progress shots. Maybe someone can learn from my mistakes, I don't seem to be able to. HA ha ha. I think that I just love the struggle.

Donald_Smith
10-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Gnu,

Thanks for the compliment.

You asked for my pallet. I have a mix of W/N Finity and GB Acadamy, I used Gesso and a #10 brush and I would smear a small spot on the canvas, then dip my brush in some color and scumble it around and then blend it into the other colors and feather out the edges. I used Diox. purple, Ultr. Marine Blue, Hookers green, Cad. Yellow, and sometimes a touch of a compliment to soften, Cad. Orange, Grumbacher Red, Burnt Sienna are also on my pallet, my white is Tit. White. For accents but rarely on the pallet I have Thalo Yellow Green by GB, Aliz. Crim GB, Yellow Ochre and Burnt Umber both W/N. I don't own any black. I bet its been over a year since I've used the Burnt Umber or the yellow Ochre, but I like to use the Thalo yellow green for highlights and when mixed with green and yellow for highlights, and I like using the Aliz. Crim when I paint Red Bud trees in a spring setting.

That's pretty much the technique and my pallet.
Don

deLYNNEation
10-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Here are my additions for this week.

Stand back, put on sunglasses, adjust monitor, whatever you may need, warning these are BRIGHT acrylics. Let's just say I am fully exploring the potential for vivid colors! ha, that's for sure! I guess it's a knee jerk response to a couple years of watercolor, and then trying a limited palette of 3 colors in oils. I go back & forth - earthy duller colors to bright.

I'm trying for a more abstracted approach to landscapes, rather than traditional . It's great to put these up, when I see them on a monitor I see some more changes I want to make, even when I thought the first one was done - All acrylic on paper, no mediums.

First one, 5x7" I need to adjust one of clouds, make it diff. shape than other. Landscape made up from imagination.
Second , 14x22" WIP
Third, 11x14" need to work on proportions of legs
Fourth, Owens Valley landscape, 11"x14" needs more articulation (more details!) Landscape made up from memory- recent trip.

C&C are welcome.

joa
10-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Lynne, I like 1,2, and 3 just as they are! :clap: But you say 2 is a WIP? It's wonderful just like it is--I love it! Don't change it!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jo

gnu
10-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Lynn..I love the movement in the first one one..
the second one I esp like the clouds and hills..I wonder if the taller tree below the hill line should be just a tad shorter(not so closee to this edge/line)..but see if others agree, or even if you do!
horses are not my subject, but I love how the shadows are coming along..
love the intense blue on the horizon line of the fourth..it takes a while to see the mountains..which is great, a bit of 'treasure' to find.. :clap:

deLYNNEation
10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
OOOOhhh, someone is around! Thanks for taking a look & making a comment.

#2 is a WIP because I need to grey out clouds a little bit more & prob. add some highlights here & there. The more I look @ #1, the more I want to adjust those clouds, they are duplicate shapes & placement is in parallel, too much of the same thing.

Gotta go, will check in later.

deLYNNEation
10-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Gnu - in #2, are you saying the trees in the middle should not 'kiss' the line of the hillside? Either bring it further up or drop it shorter below line of hills?

If this is what you're saying, I agree w/ you, it'll be better if it changes height.

thanks, good to have input! I appreciate your comments.

gnu
10-28-2004, 03:18 PM
yup Lynne...that's it! (I am not know for my concise comments :rolleyes: )
it's theonly bit about the comp that bothers me..
I'm not round for long, off to0 work shortly, it's 7:71 am Friday here..

Donald_Smith
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Lynn,

I like Comp #2 the best. To get a little unity in the painting, some people will put some of the colors in the ground in the sky and vise versa. So, you could make the clouds with some of the paint from the trees and it might unify the whole painting. If you have a computer program that will let you, you can play with it there first then try it on your painting rather than mess up your paintin if you didn't like the effect.

Just a suggestion.

Don

deLYNNEation
10-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi Don -
no time to fool w/ Photoshop @ the moment, but I do know exact. what you're saying . .. will post sometime after some changes.

off to get some brushes to working.

deLYNNEation
10-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I made the changes that I described in my earlier post - I won't attach all those but I will include #2 from earlier today.

Thanks for all comments I received - good to have those. On this one, I believe I'm almost done except for the tree that's directly in the middle - the lower greyish area I'll prob. cut into it somehow with darker color. I'll let this sit around & mull it over the next few days before I'll really say I'm finished. I'll also check this in the mirror to see if I feel it's done.

The C&C were helpful, I incorporated those. Pretty satisfied with this!

gnu
10-29-2004, 06:40 AM
I made the changes that I described in my earlier post - I won't attach all those but I will include #2 from earlier today.

Thanks for all comments I received - good to have those. On this one, I believe I'm almost done except for the tree that's directly in the middle - the lower greyish area I'll prob. cut into it somehow with darker color. I'll let this sit around & mull it over the next few days before I'll really say I'm finished. I'll also check this in the mirror to see if I feel it's done.

The C&C were helpful, I incorporated those. Pretty satisfied with this!
it's all good, I like it! I agree with what you're thinking of doing to lead the eye in to the line of trees..I love the tree shapes, very unique.. :clap:

tbezesky
10-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I am working on this.
A rose from my garden.
I am almost done but I think I need to make some adjustments.

gnu
10-29-2004, 11:54 PM
beautiful Tracy! warm and rich, sure to please...wonderful BG treatment too, bet you're pleased with it.. :clap:

Artguy29
10-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Just in case you didn't see the WIP thread "Little Pup", here he is:
(I'm working on the first layer of fur)
9"x12" acrylic on canvas.

gnu
10-30-2004, 12:43 AM
awesome Dave, he's coming along really well.bet you're pleased with his eyes and nose especially! :clap:

tbezesky
10-30-2004, 10:39 PM
thanks gnu, working on some tweeking. Almost finished.

Lynne- I like your forms, color, composition.