PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors, Please C&C

Donald_Smith
10-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I painted this in my mobile painting studio yesterday. I would like to read your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
Don
I posted it in the plein aire forum. Here's the link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225194

Bertoni
10-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Don: I thought Larry's suggestions were excellent!! I like the texture in the tree leaf areas and the sky is super!!! I thought maybe there could be some more darks in the shadow areas off the tree trunks and slightly more in some of the other areas! Nice work there! :clap: :)

Lady Carol
10-24-2004, 01:56 PM
You have a mobile studio? What a cool idea.

It looks as though you have a great start here. I agree with bertoni's comments. Perhaps another hour will see this finished. :D

damar
10-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Hi Donald! Our leaves will probably peak this week (I'm in S.E. USA)...I wish I was equipped to paint plein air. I think your painting looks great, but I suspect that the scanner/camera didn't pick up the color as it is on the canvas. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to pull your pic into my grapahics program and just clicked the "auto-fix" button that automatically adjusts the brightness/contrast etc etc.
Most of the 8 x 10's that I scan usually look more true when the fix is applied. Same goes for my digital cam pics.
Nice little painting! :)

joa
10-24-2004, 02:54 PM
If what Damar has posted here is a true depiction of your painting, then all it needs is a little softening up and cooling down in the background. It wouldn't take much to make this a really beautiful painting! :clap:

Jo

Artguy29
10-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Nice job on this, Donald. You might want to take another look at the foreground tree and the background trees, though. On the left side of the foreground tree, you can't tell which is the background or foreground tree; it's as if they are blended together which is throwing off your prespective. To fix this, you can simply deepen the color of the foreground tree, pushing the other tree back with the others.
I'm not sure if this was your goal, but on parts of the foreground tree, there are places where the trunk shows through the leaves. This could be an affect for thin leaves, but the reason I'm concerned is because the paint looks rather "washed-out".

Dave

Donald_Smith
10-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments! :) I like what damar did to fix the painting. That helped a lot to make it look more like the original. I goofed when I painted the trees in the back ground and didn't lighten them to push them further back for depth. As for the tree in the foreground, it is an oak tree. They usually have a lot of light holes and trunk showing in the leaf area. I do need to do something to push the trees back and seperate the colors between the back ground and the tree in the fore ground.

My mobil studio is a 92 Toyota Camry, I just sit in the passenger side, open my pochade box, get setup, pop a book on tape in my tape player and start painting.

Thanks again, I can't decide if I want to fix this quick study, or just use it as a guide to paint a larger version and then fix all the problems as I'm painting the bigger painting. I'm leaning towards the second option.

If you want to start plein aire painting, then a pochade box is the way to go. I made mine, there are plans on WC for making one out of a cigar box, but you could use a square lunch box with a deep lid. Then use some of the ideas from the cigar box instructions for supporting the lid and things like that. It doesn't take much to setup a mobile painting studio. You wouldn't want to use your Bemmer, or MB, but my Toy has over 224,000 miles on it.

thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions!
Don