PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Beads ????? Help?

Crowe
10-24-2004, 07:11 AM
My mother-in-law requested that I make her a set of leopard beads. Have any of you every made any? Please share!

Thanks! :wave:

ChristyL
10-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Haven't done any in awhile so no pics to show. But what I do is:
Ivory or white base, spaced out spots of dark and light brown, spots can overlap, but leave some spaces between , don't crowd them alot cause they will melt in. Then melt everything down, and encase in a light amber. I like them like this, but I am sure there are several ways to make them. I made a necklace of these and used natural brown mother-of-pearl beads as the spacers.
Good luck
hugs*
ChristyL

kissmyglass
10-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Weelllll..... kinda of , maybe cheetah. After your post I realized I'm not "up" on what types of skins they are. I also included a chair photo because my DH says thats leopard and the beads are cheetah. Check with your mother in law and make sure she passed an official animal skins test- she may be thinking of cheetah, which is a popular motiff. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jamn!
10-24-2004, 10:22 AM
I can't be of help except to say that I went to ebay and typed in animal print and got a bunch of sheets, dog collars (for people???) that had animal prints on them. You might type in leopard print and make the bead in the design that you like the best.
Ok so I ran a search and found two that I LIKE! :D Of course now I want that scarf. lol

Becky Mason
10-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Crowe,

I'm happy to share with you my technique for leopard beads. I actually teach a class at FlameTree Glass on all of my 6 animal print patterns - leopard, snow leopard, tiger, zebra, cheetah and giraffe. I'm attaching a picture of a set that includes one of each design. All of my animal prints are encased beads, so you do have to be pretty good at encasing.

For the leopard, I start with a very tiny core of avacado - I mean REALLY small. Barrel it down and then melt it up into a long foootball shape. The width of this core will be the finished width of your bead from hole to hole, so don't make it too long or your bead will get enormous - unless that is what you want.

Then take very tiny intense black stringer and make some random dots and squiggles in small clumps. I usually make my dots in groups of 3-4. Melt these in, but don't overmelt (you don't want the black to bleed).

Then take a small stringer of avocado and place a small dot in the middle of a clump of black dots and melt in. Then come back over that dot with transparent dark amber or root beer and melt in. Then case the whole bead in clear, being sure to tuck the clear towards the holes so that your dots don't stretch. You want them to look like leopard spots.

For the snow leopard, I use a core of ivory, then the black, then the avocado, then case in clear.

Hope this helps. These are really gorgeous when made into jewerly.

By the way, Gina DeStevens (GMD Crafts) also makes fantastic leopard beads.

Becky

Jamn!
10-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Oohh very cool! Thanks so much for the tutorial! :) I was wondering how you made those! :)

Crowe
10-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Now I know where to begin! All of those beads are gorgeous and (no matter what the animal) I think my mother-in-law would love any of them! You guys are awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Trishki
10-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Becky, Thank you! Awsome tutorial! I've got it bookmarked!

Dawnt0721
10-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Becky, Thank you! Awsome tutorial! I've got it bookmarked!

How do you bookmark a thread? Is there a way to save it on WC! or do you just bookmark it in your IE favorites? Just curious since I often find myself searching high and low for a post in *which thread was that?*!! :D

Becky Mason
10-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Trish,

You're welcome. I'm glad that my instructions made sense.

Becky

Jinx.Garza
10-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I also included a chair photo because my DH says thats leopard and the beads are cheetah.

Here's a Cheetah (http://www.petsdoc.com/pics/funpages/wildlifephotos/cheetah.jpg).

Here's a Leopard (http://www.safaricamlive.com/Encyclopedia/mammals/leopard/photos/leopard08.jpg).

Aren't they gorgeous?

Jinx :cat:

Jamn!
10-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Jinx,
Those are pretty! :) I printed those out for bead inspiration! :)

ajwhite
10-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Where do you get avacado? I looked at Frantz and didn't see any??? I have Sage green but it doesn't seem dark enough and ivory looks light too.

Thanks!
Audra

Jamn!
10-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Its Effetre (Moretti) 210. Its a handmade color. Frantz does have it on their website. When you click on the main page to their website click on the link on the left side that says "Effetre Handmade Colors."

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Great inspiration. Thanks Becky and Jinx.

Don't forget that you can customize the shades of your colours by melting a couple of different rods and smooshing them together. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a great way to get personalized colour. I think that it might even increase the depth and reality of the bead to have swirling subtle shade differences on the base colour. I'm going to give it a try.

gmdcrafts
10-26-2004, 11:54 AM
I start mine pretty much the same way that Becky does hers (and thanks for the nice compliment, Becky! :) ).....for "traditional" leopard print, I use ivory for the barrel core, 4-dot-clusters of intense black randomly placed, dot the center of those with light brown, add more tiny tiny itty bitty dots of intense black randomly......

then I heat each light brown dot, and using a stringer of light brown, drag the color into the "corners" of the intense back clusters (just so they're not so perfectly "roundie"). When all the dots are done, I then spot heat a section at a time and distort the "blobs" a little bit more with a tungston (sp?) pick to add a little movement to the design. Then I encase with pale amber, and randomly "splotch" med amber onto the encasing for variation in shades.

These are also fun to do in other colors, too!

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Oh my goodness Gina, I love your coloured ones especially. I was playing around and got an alright "snow leapord" bead, but I want to take it into a few more experiments before I post. I'm usually not an animal print fan, but leapords and zebras kind of draw me in. Too fun.

Kris(too)
10-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Beckys' tutorial inspired me and I made some of my own.
WOW on the other colors just georgeous! Especially the blues...mmm yummy!

Becky Mason
10-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Gina,

Love the extra step you include to distort the spots to make the look more natural. Thanks for sharing that. I think I now have an additional step to add to my routine, but one well worth the end result.

Becky

killerbeedz1
10-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Gina:

Love the pink leopard beads. What pink did you use to achieve that color. I've been wanting to do a set like that for a long time.

Patsy

gmdcrafts
10-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Gina:

Love the pink leopard beads. What pink did you use to achieve that color. I've been wanting to do a set like that for a long time.

Patsy

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone! The colors for the pink ones are ....
dark pink core, intense black and coral spots (the coral that looks sort of like a berry color :confused: , it came in stringer form only last summer when I bought it... if that's any help... :rolleyes: ), encase with pale pink and rubino.......ta-daaaah!

killerbeedz1
10-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi Becky:

Was inspired by your leopard skin beads and made a set. Gosh are they ever gorgeous. Thanks so much for your tutorial. By the way, any chance you can give a tutorial on how you do the giraffe beads?
:)
Thanks.

Patsy

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Trying again to post this. Have loved playing with this. Thank you for the inspiration guys. Here is my methods for whoever would like to use it for reference.

For the most part, I started smooshing dark ivory with red brown and using that as a base, moderate application of random stringer in dark topaz melted in and brought back to skinny barrel shape. Then applied close and somewhat random clusters of intense black stringer, melted it in and marver it, then a kind of off centered and odd shaped dot of some light brown (don't know what it is) in the center of those dots, melt in and distort with rake for a more random look. I then apply a layer of med. amber completely over the light brown and melt in and then a dot of dark topaz kind of to the side of that to increase depth. Before I melt the topaz in, I place some very tiny random dots with intense black stringer inbetween the larger rosettes that are now formed and then melt, marver and encase with clear. Whew!, may sound persnickity, but for some reason it was all very relaxing. The smooshed ivory and red brown kind of helps the base bead to give more illusion of hair for the coat. Try it, you will like it! My picture is of the set I am working on with this theme, but you can tell which ones fit the process above.

tulips
10-28-2004, 03:11 PM
I love the blue leopards! Here are some zebras.

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, looks like I know what I'll be trying tomorrow. That would be just twisted white and intense black melted into a base bead and then encased right? Do you use black or white for your base or do you find it matters? I'll probably try both and see for myself.

Jamn!
10-29-2004, 06:13 AM
Daphne I find that white looks better. :)

Here is one of my favorite bracelets that I just sold! Sorry to see it go!

tulips
10-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Not intense black. Vetrofond black and white twistie on a white base.

aks141
08-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the leopard print info, especially Becky Mason.

Because someone asked about zebra prints here, thought I'd link to a great tutorial by Ruth.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3796324&posted=1#post3796324

I'm off to look for the giraffes now....found 'em! This one links back to here too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228332&page=2&pp=15&highlight=giraffe+print

No tutorial here but an excellent close up of several animal print beads. Thanks again to Becky for showing her stuff.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246514&highlight=giraffe+print

Yellow Dog Girl
08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Wow, Becky! Those are beautiful. I really (really!) like the snow leopard. Thanks so much.

hummingbird72
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Thank you Crowe, for posting this request!:) I tried to do this before reading this thread and ended up with some not so attractive beads!

Also thank you to Becky and Gina for giving me a guideline to follow...I took tips from both of you and ended up doing it slightly different....I printed up some pictures of different animal prints...these are supposed to be jaguar...Grrrrrrrr....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/66097-jaguar.jpg

Lenda
09-28-2005, 07:35 PM
If you rate this thread, which is wonderful, it can be added to the Glass Class 101 sticky! I give it a 5, thanks Gina!!!:D

theglasszone
01-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Here's a pic of a Pink Leopard bead I made last year - especially to go with my favorite pair of specs!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x280/theglasszone/Bead%20Photos/PinkLeopardBHB1.jpg

Special thanks to Gina for her guidance!

DeAnne in CA

hjvan
02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say big thank you for all the inspiration here! My sweetheart is going to Africa in April on a hunt and I wanted to send a string of animal print beads for the guide's wife. These pics offer several different 'takes' on the standard!