PDA

View Full Version : Firecracker x-posted from wildlife

jbitzel
10-23-2004, 09:55 PM
This is Firecracker,a cocker spaniel, a close family member. I bought a spotter 30/0 to put some finer hairs around the mouth. I am unsure about the hair and anything else you see fit to comment on. This is a present for the in-laws so I need alot of C&C.

ShellyF
10-23-2004, 10:31 PM
James, your dog portraits are turning out great. You are certainly developping a great style for them. I love this little guy. :D

Don't be afraid to use colour in your black. I very rarely use black, even when painting "black" fur or hair. I usually mix my blacks from blues and earth tones. Use blues, purples, whatever colours you see (especially for the highlights). The only other nit-pick I have is the eyes, although the pupil is not clear in the photo (due to flash, I imagine) I would add it in. I'm sure your in-laws will love this :clap:

Lady Carol
10-23-2004, 11:01 PM
James: you have improved so much over the past few months. Its amazing. You must be pleased with your progress. The dog looks great. Have to agree about the eye though.

jbitzel
10-23-2004, 11:23 PM
how much do any of you think I should shrink the pupil since it shouldent be so dialated. :crying: James

jbitzel
10-23-2004, 11:26 PM
I am not grasping mixing blacks with other colors but my mother snagged a walter foster book from a rummage sale about mixing colors, so I hope she sends it soon :crying: James

Bertoni
10-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Probably shrinking the pupil very, very slightly might help! Maybe try a fast version that way in color on paper first and put it over the eye?
Your doggies are terrif. You could probably get commissions doing pets one of these days?!

joa
10-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Good going, James! :clap:

Artguy29
10-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Wow, James!! I remember the first painting you posted and I'm amazed at your improvement from then to now.
Excellent job on this pup. My only suggestion would be to differ the color of the pillow from the dog itself. In your reference, the pillow is a deep blue where as in your painting you have it as a soild black.
Keep up the good work!

Dave

ShellyF
10-24-2004, 10:43 AM
I am not grasping mixing blacks with other colors but my mother snagged a walter foster book from a rummage sale about mixing colors, so I hope she sends it soon James

James, when I started with acrylics, I didn't even purchase black (from advice that I had read). I suggest you put your tube of black away and experiment with your other colours and see what you come up with. I'll show you an example of something I did with very little or no black.

This was my colour palette: Ultramarine blue, Burnt sienna, white, a bit of burnt umber and sometimes a teeny tiny bit of black for the really dark areas, but mostly mixed my darks with the colours I mentioned. The backround is sap green and crimson red, sometimes a bit of b. umber and/or white

My "blacks" were all mixed with ultramarine blue and burnt sienna (my favorite combo for darks), sometimes I went with the burnt umber. Then then highlights were made with this combo, just adding white to lighten as I went along, layer after layer.

Just get a scrap piece of canvas and mix some colours and see what you come up with.

jbitzel
10-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Shelly your help is always appreciated, I need to get out a old canvas board and doodle I guess. :wave: James

jbitzel
10-24-2004, 05:53 PM
update.... I still am not sure about the thing under him. I changed the eyes, added some fine hair in the face, ands some glazing on the head and body. :wave: James

joa
10-24-2004, 08:58 PM
The eye looks great, James, as does the rest! :clap: