PDA

View Full Version : First Post: The Revealing

Complicated Artist
10-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Well, I finally was able to set up a mock studio in the office to take pictures of the painting.

Pic 1: The painting (duh?) :rolleyes:
Description: (detailed description follows towards the end of this post)

This angle is to show the flat-black look if there will be no poorly chosen/used light(bulb) directly on the canvas.
The kanji* (Chinese characters) reads [in Japanese], Heiwa (hey-wah) and means Peace. I have no idea what the Chinese word is for peace.
* FYI: The only difference between Chinese versus Japanese kanji characters is that the Japanese have simplified the characters for writing; otherwise they have the same meaning, but obviously different pronunciations.

Pic 2: Direct lighting and it's effect on the painting's brush strokes.

Pic 3: Close up to show the textured background.

Pic 4: Close up of a character to show detail in my lines.

Pic 5: The psuedo studio mocked up in the office. As you will notice in the picture I'm using:

Draped a bed sheet over the window blinds and closed the blinds.
Track lighting with three 50watt white light halogen lights. Then I dimmed the lights for less glare, because the pillow cases were a little too thin.
Pillow case cut in half for a light screen; which is held up by push-pins.
Couldn't afford to buy an easle that size so I made one.

Detailed Description:
This is the second acrylic painting I have ever done. The first one was done a couple of months ago of a flower close-up, which I will post pictures of soon once I get some time. I've always done pencil and charcoal (will post those some day as well) in the past, but this past May I thought wildly and decided to brave it and just start painting! Sometimes it's better not to know what you may be up against. :p But I'll talk about that painting on that thread.

Being that painting is new to me and never have had any formal teaching, I just bought what was affordable (in paints--Liquitex's Basics) and asked some other fellow artist friends about brushes.

Someone mentioned in a thread around here that (maybe they were quoting someone) it takes 30 paintings or 300 hours before one is relatively proficient in the art. But I want to be a successful and rich artist now!! haha But I'm amazed how much I really have fallen for this new medium. I love it and can't seem to buy enough paint and canvases fast enough! :D

So here are the brushes that I ended up using on this painting:

3/4" ROYAL (SG1400) (blending brush-looks like my sister's blush brush) for the background and sides
#2 Grumbacker Bristlette (blending fan) for detail
#1 W&N University Fan (Series 238) for detail
#2 W&N Galeria (Short Flat/Bright) for detail
#3/0 ROYAL (SG250) for the signature

The painting started out to be abstract, but when I didn't like where it was going I blacked out the canvas and got this Kanji idea. There are 8 coats in all: 3 coats of black paint, 2 coats of white paint (under the red), and topped off with 3 coats of red paint and 1 more coat of black. The canvas is black all the way around to the framing in back.

I added the two coats of white before the red so that I could get a brighter red.

Now, they way I mixed/used my paints may cause some people to faint; so the weak-hearted need not read this part. :P
I used bottom half of styrophome cups and thinned paint with water and mixed it up with a chopstick! :D haha But it worked for me and I liked the outcome.

Chapter 2:
Don't worry. Just kidding. Well, this definitely ended up being longer than I thought it would.

Looking forward to what everyone has to say. I will not be offended, so go ahead and "comment" away.

Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes!
Complicated Artist

Lady Carol
10-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Someone mentioned in a thread around here that (maybe they were quoting someone) it takes 30 paintings or 300 hours before one is relatively proficient in the art. But I want to be a successful and rich artist now!! haha
Complicated Artist

Yes well don't we all. Athletes are not Olympians unless they train. Same with us. We are not successful without hours of dedication. Just bite the bullet and paint, paint, paint. :wink2:

I like what you have done by the way. The colours you have chosen go very well together.

Lynxes123
10-24-2004, 01:58 AM
I like the red against the black, looks fiery! :clap:

Bertoni
10-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the acrylic postings!!
I know what you mean by "loving" the acrylic medium. I worked mainly in watercolor and discovered acrylics about a year and a half ago! I'm totally into it now. No more w/c for me...rarely!!!
The Kanji/Heiwa you painted is very dramatic looking! :clap:
I like that color red. Wondered which Liquitex Basic red you used??
Hope you post your next acrylic here! Would like to see what's next!! :)

jbitzel
10-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Doesn't look like cadmium, I'm guessing napithol crimson :D James

Tridun
10-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Welcome!
This painting is (to me) a very bold statement. Very dramatic, and very appealing. Keep going, and keep posting so that we can see! :clap:

Patricia

Faded
10-24-2004, 11:15 AM
I really like this, very bold graphic style. I also like the subject matter (I am a big fan of peace :D ) I do have one question tho...what is the size? I look forward to seeing more of your work.
-Faded (still workin towards rich :p )

bjcpaints
10-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Dear Complicated,
Quite awesome painting - I think you have achieved that which you sought. I have done over 200 acrylic paintings, alas, they are all on rocks (3D animal paintings). I am struggliing with the leap to the flat surface. Wet Canvas rocks! :clap: You seem to be very methodical about your painting - something I don't posess, yet admire.
Barbara

Complicated Artist
10-25-2004, 12:55 AM
I really like this, very bold graphic style. I also like the subject matter (I am a big fan of peace :D ) I do have one question tho...what is the size? I look forward to seeing more of your work.
-Faded (still workin towards rich :p )

It's on a 36x48" double-primed canvas. See attached image.

Doesn't look like cadmium, I'm guessing napithol crimson James

That is correct.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! But can I have some more input specifically related to my brush choices and they way I mix paint?

CA

Complicated Artist
10-26-2004, 02:01 AM
Also, I would like some feedback on the way I went about the painting; both pro's and con's where applicable.

Complicated Artist