PDA

View Full Version : A duck ----- just for fun :)

ShellyF
10-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Well, I have been working on a portrait and it wasn't going well, needed to re-prime and start the whole thing over :( , very frustrating. Anyway, I felt like I needed a distraction before getting back to it, so I dug up a photo of a duck I took while visiting an amish farm last year in Pensylvania.

14x18 (I think), on canvas. Comments and advice always welcome.

jbitzel
10-23-2004, 04:40 PM
I really like the softness of the feathers, I just wish she had some chicks. :wave: James

Lady Carol
10-23-2004, 05:09 PM
This is a nice diversion. The feathers are wonderfully soft as James siad. The head is a little too large though. Or maybe it is just the angle. Overall I think it is very well done.

TxAggieDarlin
10-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey good work...the duck looks very good to me! Great job on the feathers.

Artguy29
10-23-2004, 08:41 PM
It's always good to take a break from a painting. Excellent job on this duck. Are you considering taking up wildlife art?

Dave

ShellyF
10-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks James, Carol, TxAggieDarlin, and Dave :)

This is a nice diversion. The feathers are wonderfully soft as James siad. The head is a little too large though. Or maybe it is just the angle. Overall I think it is very well done.

Although I did try to measure acurately, I did sail along with this one pretty fast, not wanting to stop too long to think, 'cause then I just start obsessing LOL! :rolleyes: , but you could very well be right. I went back to look at the original photo, and although I'm not sure about the size of the head (will have to measure it at some point, I was just eyeballing it :p ), but I think it could be the neck that's too small, too narrow. Could that be making the head look to big?

It's always good to take a break from a painting. Excellent job on this duck. Are you considering taking up wildlife art?

I find when I start obssessing about something I am working on, and getting frustrated, I like to just start something really different, and try to make it a quicker painting, just to get some paint on the canvas and not worry about getting a likeness, or pleasing a client or whatever. I have started the original portrait over again, and it is going much better.

Hmmmm, wildlife art? I would love to take that up. I am always in search of "my thing". I just like to paint whatever strikes my interest, but I do love animals, so that could very well become my new passion. It drives my husband crazy when we go to a zoo, 'cause I usually take a gazillion pictures, for possible future reference LOL!

chandlerjr
10-24-2004, 02:20 AM
Shelly,
I think your painting of the duck is "just ducky"! Really nice job. Liked the feathers and background. I don't come over here much (Acrylic Forum)--I have been hanging out in the Abstract Forum. Bunch of nice people over there. Since you went from people to a duck, may be you should "stretch your wings" and try an abstract painting?
Larry C.

ShellyF
10-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Shelly,
I think your painting of the duck is "just ducky"! Really nice job. Liked the feathers and background. I don't come over here much (Acrylic Forum)--I have been hanging out in the Abstract Forum. Bunch of nice people over there. Since you went from people to a duck, may be you should "stretch your wings" and try an abstract painting?
Larry C.

Hi Larry :wave: , glad you popped in here, it's good to "see" you again :).
Hmmm, from people to animals to abstracts... well I suppose anything is possible ;) Seriously though, I find I am always searching and wondering what my "thing" is, wether it's subject, media... whatever. As soon as I start to get comfortable with something I start to feel like it's time to move on to sometime else. Does anyone else feel this way or do you all just enjoy what it is you do and stick with it?

chandlerjr
10-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Shelly,
One of the reasons I started spending so much time in the Abstract forum is "there is never a dull moment" over there. A lot of powerful use of color, interesting compositions, subject matter, and a different way of looking at things. Plus the people are very supportive!

I have started doing some abstracts and it's funny: there can be a powerful freedom to create. I still use a lot of my traditional skills and color theory, but totally use my imagination plus the juxtipostion of things in nature for my subject matter. It definitely is an experience for me. My wife, the other night said, I really like it, but what is it. :)
Larry C.
Hi Larry :wave: , glad you popped in here, it's good to "see" you again :).
Hmmm, from people to animals to abstracts... well I suppose anything is possible ;) Seriously though, I find I am always searching and wondering what my "thing" is, wether it's subject, media... whatever. As soon as I start to get comfortable with something I start to feel like it's time to move on to sometime else. Does anyone else feel this way or do you all just enjoy what it is you do and stick with it?