PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt...

Jack Boris
10-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, I have never really painted before, and wanted to try acrylics. This is my first painting, sort of. I seem to start a lot of paintings and then ruin them. So I tried a simpler subject with fewer colors. I have quite a bit of "blank canvas" anxiety, always worried about making a mistake! Anyway, I would like some opinions, please keep in mind I have never done this before. :)

Thanks,

Jack

Bertoni
10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Jack: For someone who's never painted before, you certainly have a feeling for that orange!! :clap: Like the texture in it a lot. Are you going to work more on the background making it darker so the orange stands out a bit more??

Lady Carol
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi Jack: :wave:
Welcome to the forum. With examples like this I hope to see more of your work.

The orange is wonderful. I think you have a great handle on how to model a 3D shape in 2D. Well done.

I do have a problem with the background though :D the orange is somewhat lost in all that orange colour. But where you are coming from in that you don't appear to understand colour relationships at this moment in time :) , this is perfectly justifiable.

Have you looked in the reference library? There are many examples of oranges with different coloured backgrounds to help you get a feel of what colours works best with orange. For example and ultramarine blue background would have made the really orange pop.

But any way....that is what we are here for. To give support, encouragement and advice on improving your art. You definitely have a talent for it and learning about colours does take some time. With efforts like this, definitely take some time to play with colour combinations and mixing etc.

Hope to see more. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lady Carol
10-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Incidentally with blank canvas anxiety.......wash it with umber so it isn't white and perfect anymore. Then it is easier to paint on. The wash of umber does not show in the final product.

ShellyF
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Jack, I think you did a fabulous job! The texture on the orange is great. I do agree with Carol about the background though, it doesn't allow the orange to "pop" out enough.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work :)

LisaArt
10-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Fory our first attempt I agree this is fabulous work. I like your bold painting approach. :clap: I do agree with Bertoni and Carol and about the background..

Complicated Artist
10-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Comments from a fellow beginning acrylic painter:

I would like to see a close up picture as I can't really tell how much paint is on the canvas and can only see general detail.

I personally like the painting quite a bit and though everyone is commenting on having a bolder background, I like the subtle differences in color tones. Everyone of course has their own opinion, but I would say that though the theory of definite lines and/or background depth is necessary, it depends on what look you as the artist is going for or not.

It's amazing how guilty I'm feeling for disaggreeing with everyone and a right argument they are proposing, but that's simply my opinion (without being able to see more/better shots of it). Upload a couple of close-up's and I'll drop another reply.

I would like to see close-up's of these two specific areas:
1. Top-left corner 12x12" area
2. Orange with background 12x12" area

Complicated Artist