PDA

View Full Version : Vertical offset matting formula

aquila
10-22-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm finally starting to cut my own mats and I'd like to try using an offset but I wonder if there's a general formula or rule on how much to "weight" the bottom.

Please excuse me if this is the wrong forum. I'm matting watercolors and it "seemed" like a general question.

Thanks for your input,
Judy

Roun2it
10-22-2004, 02:50 AM
I suppose this should be in the technical section but who cares?

Welcome to our forum, the whole idea of making the bottom portion of the matt larger than the top is to counter balance the trick the eye/brain plays on itself to make the bottom edge smaller.

Although I have not seen a formula, I think the subject matter and type of painting may have something to do with it, because you are counter balancing the trick of the eye. In general when using a 2" border, I would say anything from 2.5" to 3" would work. Anymore and the extra would be too obvious.

Maddie M.
10-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Hi, Judy, and welcome to the forum. :wave:

Here's a link to a recent thread by Lori Andrews. She matted her painting with a large lower border and I really like the way it looks. It's just another option to consider.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223872

-- Maddie

jaytee
10-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I dont work to a formula. just use my eye to see what 'looks' right.......do it by using strips of paper..........

Youre quite right to 'weight' it........... if you dont it really looks very strange indeed.......