PDA

View Full Version : New to Ebay - tips please?!

Maggie J
11-03-2001, 10:31 AM
Hi, I've not been here at WC for about 8 months! and have been away from computer so I'm completely out of touch. Any how, thought I'd give ebay a try, although I registered a while back I've not put anything on till this week. Can anyone give me any tips about how to get feedback as at the moment I've got exactly nil! (being new) which doesn't look good. Sorry to be dumb but can I get it by bidding on other items?

and also, do any of you experienced 'ebayers' think that putting a gallery pic in is a plus.

I've read through most of the ebay threads but missed a few bits here and there as there so much!
I usually sell though being commissioned, as in portraits for instance but something like ebay or the auction sites would be great to get to a wider audience. Is it a learning process? or am I just 'thicky'!!?

Thanks for any tips!
Maggie J

teresasart
11-03-2001, 10:53 AM
Maggie,

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions about ebay, as I am new there as well. But regarding the feedback issue, I bought a couple of things at ebay which I needed anyway, and after promptly paying and having good communication with the sellers, I asked them to please be sure and post feedback for me, which they did. I think that's how a lot of people get a little feedback to start with. Good luck with your auction!

Teresa

PS- Be sure before buying something to have a look at the seller's feedback page!

timelady
11-03-2001, 05:47 PM
Yep, buying items builds your feedback too. Some people buy a bunch of low-priced items to build up their reputation - as it's Christmas shopping now you might find lots of little "stocking stuffers" to bid on. :)

Don't be too afraid to list with a 0 though. Just make your description sound professional and be clear. State payment terms and exact shipping if possible. You may want to ship US-only to start so you can know the shipping price and list it.

Gallery Pic is the one absolute must in my opinion! It's art so it's an essentially visual item anyway - I believe customers hit the gallery items first because it's easy to browse pages and pages of items without having to click them. Even a thumbnail can give you a general item if it's your style.

Also, start low but don't underprice yourself. If you wouldn't be happy letting something go for less than $20 then price it at $19.99. Or $49.99, etc. Also have a look at the fees page, sometimes that .99 price is a good idea if you're right on the limit of a higher fee! For example there's a fee for items about 25.01-49.99 and then for 50.00 your listing fee goes up. Can't remember if that's the US or UK site though, so check the fees page.

Start with little items, some themes sell better than others so it's worth browsing ebay to see what has bids: things like animals, nudes, abstracts, whatever.

Oh, and have fun too. It may take you a while to get going but it can get addicting checking your selling page anyway! :D

Tina.

Maggie J
11-04-2001, 08:50 AM
Thanks Tina & Theresa - I will have to do a bit of xmas shopping I think. I am going to re-list my item, and try the gallery pic and also I think I priced it to high for a first especially so I will take your advice Tina. I'm also going to change my title description because although I got quite a lot of hits, I think the title was appealing to the wrong kind of audience for my style! Anyway, it is probably a learning process - unfortunately I always want instant results! and am so impatient!

I seem to notice that cats and horse pics do well!! or maybe I'm imagining it!

Thanks for tips

Maggie J:D

BlossomArt
11-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Hi! I'm pretty new at ebay selling too, and some of my buyers are really forgetful about leaving feedback! Here's how I get around it...

After I return from shipping my painting to them, I hop on the computer and send them a quick courtesy email. I let them know that the painting just shipped and that they should have it in a few days. I also let them know that I've left positive feedback for them, and that once the painting arrives, if they're happy with it and their end of the transaction, to please leave feedback for me as well! Since I started doing that, very few have forgotten - they tend to remember good correspondence and a seller who gives them as much friendly details as possible.

Maggie J
11-16-2001, 02:36 PM
Hi- Blossomart - & thanks for your tips which I will remember - had no computer for 2 weeks (in repair!) but now I'm back I'm going to have another go and will make note of all your tips

thanks
Maggie J:clap: