PDA

View Full Version : My First Painting - Opinions

xxticy007
10-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, I finally found the time to sit down for 2 hours and work on my first ever painting. I have had the materials for about a month or so just haven't had the time to enjoy them. I was inspired to paint when I bought a work of art by Osnat for my new home a few weeks ago. Just a warning beforehand, I have NO art experience or training and have no idea what I am doing. I am just trying to have some fun and hopefully learn some stuff that will help me get better over the years. I have already got some great advice in the chat on WetCanvas and will definately get back in there as soon as I can... Well, as promised in chat I would post my first "work" of art and get your comments on it. You're not going to hurt my feeling so feel free to tell me what you think of it. I feel that it is missing somthing, but not sure what. I will start the second painting tomorrow... http://www.greatlakesalliance.com/photopost/uploads/877/1st_Acrylic_Painting_003.jpg

Quiet
10-21-2004, 11:05 PM
*grin* It looks like a good start.

Iíve heard artists say that it takes thirty paintings to master a medium, or that it takes three-hundred hours. . . whatever. Just donít be disheartened if you donít get the results youíre hoping for on the third or fifth try. Play with the medium, have fun, and you will learn and improve.

Iíve got a thread over in the creativity forum for doing short paintings on a regular basis for the purpose of learning. Come join us! The link is in my signature.

Cheers!

jbitzel
10-21-2004, 11:51 PM
You have recieved good advice already but I suggest you try to find a book called "Drawing on the right side of the brain" by betty edwards. This book teaches beginners in art to expose their creative side and how to see your subject. Drawing is the easy part, the hard part is seeing. I have got to comment you on your bravery and your willingness to learn. Just remember that no one here will ever laugh at you, everyone was in your shoes at some time. :wave: James

Queen Bee
10-22-2004, 02:51 AM
You are off to a great start. I think the hardest part is to actually open up the tube of paint and put that first brush stroke on canvas. The artist here are very helpful. I am sure you will see progress with each painting you do. I really like the colors you have used.

By the way if you can't find the book Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain in a store near you, Amozon.com has it. I just ordered two books on drawing from them and I saw it. It is on my wish list(which keeps getting lolonger and longer). I hope Santa has plenty of room in his sleigh.

Have fun and keep painting.

HRH Goldie
10-22-2004, 05:34 AM
Wow Step up and take a bow!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Usually people join and then lurk around in shadows for a while. Then they make their first tentative verbal posts.
Your the first person I have seen to join, verbal post and submit your first piece of artwork so kudos to you my friend. :D
One thing I will say - there doesn't seem to be much paint on the canvas and gaps in some places where the canvas shows through.
I love your colours and I can only guess that you were inspired by the piece of artwork that you bought.
Good on you and you will learn lots by hanging around and reading threads on here.
You've joined at just the right time to take part in this weekends All Media Arts Event. There is a link on the home page and also to the left of the acrylic forums page. This is a great learning environment and everyone is friendly and kind.
All the advice is freely available.
It is stimulating as new reference photos are posted every weekend and you paint one of those and post results after two hours. Then if not finished, go on to complete at your leisure and post the finished piece. It doesn't matter what level you are at there is something to gain for everyone - even if it is just inspiration. Hope to see you over there. The new one starts tonight. :D

Christine

coherent
10-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi Christine and welcome to WC and the acrylics forum! I think this is a great first painting. Your sky colors are great and you did a good job with the clouds which can be tough to master. I think you'll catch on quick with acrylics. If nothing else get a couple books on acrylic painting and you'll learn the basics of values and perspective. It will all fall into place. There are some wonderful artists here and are always willing to offer advice. I hope to see more of you're paintings in the future, as it's so interesting to see the improvement and different directions folks go as they progress. Keep it up!
-marc :clap: :clap:

HRH Goldie
10-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Marc - Thank you for your kind comments - unfortunately they aren't for me!! Lol I think it is Nate who you need to speak to. It is her first or second first painting - not mine.
I am sure that the comments are appreciated though just the same. :p :wave:

Christine

busy91
10-22-2004, 12:20 PM
We all have to start somewhere right. You're off to a very good start. The Betty Edwards book that has been suggested is like the BIBLE. I tell everyone I know about it and they all say it has helped them tremendously.

You use color very well, I like the combinations you've used. One small word of advice, don't be shy about putting the paint on the canvas. LOL! I know when I started I actually had the opposite problem, I overloaded the paint (took forever to dry). Try to make sure you cover the white of the canvas with color.

Keep 'em coming and welcome to WC! :wave:

Quiet
10-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Try to make sure you cover the white of the canvas with color.

If I may offer a suggestion. . . the best way to avoid the white of a canvas or paper showing through a painting is by covering the white with another color first. I generally start a painting by thinning down a neutral color - burnt sienna works well - with mat medium, and then painting the whole surface with it. Then I don't have the glare of the white throwing my color-sense off, and I don't have to fuss over white speckles getting into my details.

xxticy007
10-23-2004, 03:26 AM
I would like to think everyone for their responses to my first painting. I will definately have to pick up the suggested reading "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and see what I can learn from it. Just so everyone knows I am a him instead of a her... :wave: The next painting is going to be started tomorrow and I definately won't be shy with putting the paint on the canvas so I can avoid the "white" showing on the painting. I will also definately have to check out the All Media Arts weekend event. Unfortunately I just got to read the comments on this post early Saturday morning, it's 1:30 am here, and didn't get to participate in the one today. I will have to check out the link and see when the next one is available. Again thanks for all the comments and I will post a second painting as soon as it is done. Or possibly as a WIP...

Mark Newton
11-11-2004, 10:52 AM
It's great to see you have begun the journey of a lifetime, one that you will encompass with great fondness after the difficult period wanes. There is no doubt painting is hard work, it's not in my opinion the relaxing affair it's sometimes portrayed as, but it's very rewarding and will eventually become easier.
I grew up drawing, it was pretty much second nature to me, I was lucky in that dept., but painting was another matter. How frustrating is a pencil that flops about and refuses to do what you wish, it took me months of very hard work before I could really say I had painted something I liked.

If you are aiming to paint a landscape you need to consider what creates the illusion of three dimensional depth.

With your next work, paint the background in a very faint light coloured/greyish fashion, so there is little difference between the shadows and the highlights, this will push it into the background, paint the foreground with bold strength between shadow and highlight and this will pull the foreground forward. Try to create a gradient between these two extremes from front to back. This is what I did to teach myself how to create depth and I didnt bother with anything complicated until I had this worked out. I would paint a road with a couple of stick trees up front and some distant hills, no photo needed, just do it from memory and you will soon have the skill. Good luck and keep at it.

Charlie's Mum
11-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Nate - apologies for not seeing your work when you first posted - you've been given some good advice, and the only way to learn is to keep painting.
Like all of us, you'll make mistakes and sometimes get frustrated, but we're all here to help!!! :)
If you would like to join us in the Weekend Drawing Event over in the All Media Arts Events forum, here's the link to this weekend's invitation.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228836

Don't worry about the time factor, you may join in at ANY time over the coming week. When your 2 hours are up, just scan or photograph your work, finished or not, and upload in your own thread....you'll find all the necessary info over on the forum page. If you work in acrylics, you may also post your work here if you'd like people to comment.
I'll be around in both forums, so if you need help to upload, please just PM me......it's easier for viewers if you upload your work directly to the forum.

See you here - and there! :)