PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor calendar gift idea

LKrieger
10-21-2004, 12:02 PM
I just had calendars made up for Christmas gifts using 12 of my paintings. You just upload your scanned images at www.mycalendarmaker.com. There are various sizes and paper types available. I did the half sheet. The first calendar was $19.75, then each calendar was $10.00 based on a quantity of 30. You can order as many or as few as you want...you can just order 1. You can also customize dates so you can include family birthdays and events if you want.

droll13
10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Personalized calendars like these do make great gifts.

I did a similar thing last year - created a monthly calendar in Calendar Creator featuring 12 of my paintings. The program has an option to convert to Adobe format, which most printers can use.

I shopped around; narrowed it down to a local independent printer and Kinkos. Ended up going with Kinkos. The calendar was on letter-sized pages, with my painting on the top 1/2 and a monthly calendar on the bottom 1/2. I had both front and back cover pages, plus a clear plastic front cover. They were bound with a plastic spiral binding. I had 10 made up, for around $18.00 US each.

This year I'll do another calendar, but using some of my photos. I think I'll print them myself (I have an HP DeskJet 722C printer that is adequate for the job), just have Kinkos or Office Depot add a clear front cover and do the binding, which will cost around $2.00 US each. Even with the expense of paper stock and color cartridges, I figure my cost will be somewhere around $10.00 US each.

I'm just about done making a daily "DayRunner" type calendar for a friend. That's a tremendous amount of work, managing 365 images and customizing the calendar with family birthdays, anniversaries, choosing fonts and color schemes, etc. But it's another type of calendar that Calendar Creator can handle.

I learned some lessons from all this, so if anyone wants more details, PM me.

Strawberry Wine
10-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Dave, I did my own last year and just had them bound with the spiral binders for about 25cents a piece. I also used my HP Printer to print them up and the ink went a very long way. I think I did about 8 calendars and all my Christmas cards and never ran out of ink. I printed them on card stock acid free paper.

Cheers,

Gail