PDA

View Full Version : Old fella - Arnold Lowrey

Arnold Lowrey
10-21-2004, 08:47 AM
This is a 28x20 acrylic on watercolour paper. It was originally posted on the portraiture section. Hope you like it
Arnold
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2004/47691-Old_Fella_copy.jpg

Charlie's Mum
10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Very strong, full of atmosphere and movement and interesting lighting........yes, I like it!

Welcome to the Acrylics forum from me! :wave: Hope we see more of your work. :)

jbitzel
10-21-2004, 09:40 AM
I love your style. James :wave:

busy91
10-21-2004, 10:44 AM
It reminds me of the old masters...old as in long ago not age. :D

Very nice brush strokes.

Bertoni
10-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Arnold: Welcome to the acrylic forum!!! This is a truly powerful painting in all its aspects! :clap: :clap: :clap: I'd like to start with some portraits for a change and depart from my usual landscape ptg for a bit...but where to start??

Marty C
10-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi Arnold,
A very powerful work, very striking, wonderful background. I know you are very accomplished, just wondering if you would share your reasoning behind exaggerating the head proportions.

JamieWG
10-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Arnold, I love it. The way the background harmonizes with the figure is pure poetry. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

Arnold Lowrey
10-22-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi Arnold,
A very powerful work, very striking, wonderful background. I know you are very accomplished, just wondering if you would share your reasoning behind exaggerating the head proportions.
Hello marty
I dont claim to be a good portait painter as i haven't done much of it.
However, I do know that when you paint a portrait it is much more important to go for the character than what is actually there.
The great examples of that were
Singer Sargant - when he painted Madam X in Paris, France, he painted one strap off her shoulder because she had a certain reputation with the gentlemen!
The Paris Salon were outraged and made him paint it back - but he made sure you could still see where it was!
The other instance was when Graham Sotherland painted Winston Churchill - the result was a powerful bully - Mrs Churchill burnt it.
Character is far more powerful than accuracy - the cartoonists do it every day. Any one can buy a a camera if they want just accuracy
If he is a warm hearted man use warm colours
If he is jolly use a large tonal value range
If is is moody use a restricte tonal range etc
Hope that has helped
Arnold
Thank you everyone for your comments

Yokovich
10-22-2004, 01:13 AM
a beautiful painting. He looks quite occupied and maybe even a little sad. serious. I like this alot.

Marty C
10-22-2004, 02:52 AM
Hello marty
I dont claim to be a good portait painter as i haven't done much of it.
However, I do know that when you paint a portrait it is much more important to go for the character than what is actually there.
The great examples of that were
Singer Sargant - when he painted Madam X in Paris, France, he painted one strap off her shoulder because she had a certain reputation with the gentlemen!
The Paris Salon were outraged and made him paint it back - but he made sure you could still see where it was!
The other instance was when Graham Sotherland painted Winston Churchill - the result was a powerful bully - Mrs Churchill burnt it.
Character is far more powerful than accuracy - the cartoonists do it every day. Any one can buy a a camera if they want just accuracy
If he is a warm hearted man use warm colours
If he is jolly use a large tonal value range
If is is moody use a restricte tonal range etc
Hope that has helped
Arnold
Thank you everyone for your comments
Thanks Arnold! You have certainly produced a far better work than I could ever aspire to.

Bioartist
11-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Hope you like it
Ahhhh..YESSSSSS
This is very beautiful and full of life, I am geolous :envy: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Question - what colours and size of brushes did you use??
Thankyou for sharing,
Stacey

Arnold Lowrey
11-01-2004, 03:40 AM
Ahhhh..YESSSSSS
This is very beautiful and full of life, I am geolous :envy: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Question - what colours and size of brushes did you use??
Thankyou for sharing,
Stacey
Thank you
Can't remember all the the colours but use mainly flat brushes - I find them more versatile
Arnold