PDA

View Full Version : Policy regarding combining oil pastel with other medias

anney
10-21-2004, 04:29 AM
Hello,

Oil pastels work well with some other media (I'm thinking of colored pencils). What should be the OPS policy there? Can such works be accepted in artist galleries?

Anne

steven
10-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Was wondering about that too - from what I see in the Gallery there is some leeway. :)
I feel a very strict OP only policy would rather restrict to show the full potential of this medium. Like combining with other media too, especially watercolour. So I hope combinations within reason are ok.

Steven

Dyin
10-21-2004, 11:40 AM
here is a quote from the requirements for Signature status on the OPS site...

" If using an underpainting, the surface must be predominantly oil pastel."

So if you were to lay down a painting with watercolor, pencil or oilstiks, etc and then just put in a few accent marks with oil pastel, this would not be considered an oil pastel painting. But if you were to cover most of the surface with oil pastels and allow some of the underpainting to show through to enhance the oil pastel work, that would be considered an oil pastel painting and fit the criteria.

One of the best features of oil pastel is their versatility. They're great for experimenting with and certain effects are enhanced using other media...like the resist method in Kat's article in this month's newsletter. We want to encourage experimentation and growth, and requiring a purist approach would, in my own opinion, stiffle the creativity process.

As to what a gallery will accept, well, that usually depends on what is selling :) If we all do our utmost as members to educate and spread the word about the fine art qualities of oil pastels then we should see them in more galleries and competitions as an accepted art medium.

Hope that helps, am sure you'll get some other opinions too :)

CarlyHardy
10-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Anney,
are you asking will works combining other media and oil pastels be accepted on the OPS site in the artist galleries?

If so, then the answer is yes, as long as oil pastels are the predominant medium. Some societies consider predominant to mean 80% or more of the surface to be covered with the medium. The OPS does not specify a percentage for membership requirements, but predominant does mean that the surface of the painting's most dominant medium would be oil pastels.

Competitions, however, may include a percent clarification for the term predominant.

carly

anney
10-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Anney,
are you asking will works combining other media and oil pastels be accepted on the OPS site in the artist galleries?

Yes I was, I'm not thinking of art galleries yet (not sure I will ever do). I didn't read the signature requirements because I was not claiming that either (I figured out I don't even have 5 op to show as a gallery).

Thanks for all the answers. 75 or 80% sounds like reasonable percentages.

Anne