PDA

View Full Version : Wales - What's it like? Arnold

Arnold Lowrey
10-21-2004, 12:21 AM
People are often asking me what it is like in Wlaes.
I know nick has seen part of it and it is very beautiful ( when it isnt raining. This site has an enormous wealth of photos of the area about 40miles west of me. It will take you quite a while to go through it but have patience.
Pobbles beach that Tom painted is there
Arnold
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.thomas/swancam.html

Dake
10-21-2004, 04:02 AM
Cheers Arnold , the schooner glasses tell a story. I write this as i listen to Nick on the guitar, thinking how lucky I am to have crossed paths with you two, darn fine chaps here.
David

Grainne
10-21-2004, 05:17 AM
What a treasure trove for ramblers like me who are "job-bound" in the school year! Now I can sit with cup of coffee in hand and "roam" for hours in Wales and feed my wanderlust :) If and when I exhaust Wales, there are all those recommended links where I "walk about" in other areas of Britain.

Thanks so very much for this lovely treat, Arnold! :)

Grainne

NodakerDeb
10-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Arnold,

What a delight!!

Thank you for the virtual tour of your lovely country.

Deb

pampe
10-21-2004, 10:36 AM
I was there a couple weeks ago, Arnold...and we were totally taken by your country

Some additional shots of other areas:

madmum
10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Arnold, thanks for posting this link. I've just spent a very pleasant hour looking through the photos, and found some of places where I spent alot of time when I was a child. Broughton Bay, Llangennith, Llanmadoc, Rhossilli, Burry Holms, Worms Head, and especially Bluepool Bay, all bring back happy memories!

Pam, your pics are lovely! :)

Ruth

Europa
10-22-2004, 02:16 PM
When I was a kid we spent a lot of holidays in Wales - all over the place - must have seen every castle - I remember my Grandad on one journey (when we were on a country road which had high hedges on each side and not a signpost in sight) saying - 'Well its a good job the German's never invaded us as they would never have found their way out of here'....lol. Luckily for Grandad I am good with finding my way around (just ask Sharon :D )

Pat

Gilberte
10-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Lovely trip Arnold and Pam !

juneto
10-24-2004, 02:18 AM
Arnold
Your Paintings and photos are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them with us. I am from New England( ie )CT., also by the coastline, and I am intrigued by the fact that you have Palm Trees. We only have those in the South. Is it very warm there ? I have been to England and Scotland a few times but it was too chilly for Palm Trees! Do you have snow?
June

Arnold Lowrey
10-24-2004, 03:27 AM
Hello Juneto
THE photos are not mine.
I referenced the website because it contained so many releveny scenes
THEre are a few palm trees about but not many. THE weather is usually not warm enough for them
THank you for your kind remarks about my paintings
ARnold

bluesrbest
10-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks for sharing these pics, Arnold. I lived in Wales for a year a long, long time ago but still remember my trips to Swansea and The Mumbles (in fact, I think I had a G&T (my first and thought it was horrid!) in that wine bar :)

Rhonda

Arnold Lowrey
10-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Mumbles has many happy memories fo me
Apart from meeting my wife there, it was one of our drinking haunts (Nick- misspent youth)
There is a stretch of road along the shoreline from Oystermouth to Mumbles with a lot of pubs. The challenge was to have a drink in each one the way to the dance. Sometimes we never got there - Ha
We went to that dance twice a week for years.
The other part, Nick, is about my dance band days (piano) but that is another story
Arnold

nes7827
10-25-2004, 03:54 AM
I didn't know you were a player, Arnold. Can you still tear it up? I always heard proficiency in pool (or snooker) was the sign of a misspent youth!

I posted some pictures of Ragland, Chepstow, and Bath here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2826288#post2826288

Arnold Lowrey
10-25-2004, 05:24 AM
I didn't know you were a player, Arnold. Can you still tear it up? I always heard proficiency in pool (or snooker) was the sign of a misspent youth!

I posted some pictures of Ragland, Chepstow, and Bath here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2826288#post2826288
I used to play snooker too. My piano playing was not very good and in our teens we got a group together. I was never a soloist but could bang the chords out in the background.
We had a 7 piece group and used to play for fun.We wanted to play modern jazz but it always came out soounding like trad.
Our first booking was at the Swansea YMCA It was Christmas and all the good bands ere booked. I remember the hall had a blocked wood floor and all the blocks were loose. A guy had to go round after each dance to replace them.
The other thing I remember from that auspicious occasion was that we only knew 2 waltzes (Tammy and Silent Night). The inevitable happened- we had pladed both by the interval. What should we do?
I had the brainwave to announce that we had been asked to play Tammy again by request. So we got away with it - ha

I played a number of dances after that.
We played one in the Mechanics Institute in Pontardulais. The local youth gangs came down with cowboys hats
There was no tickets issued. They stamped your hand to prove you had paid.
A fight broke out by the band stand. The upright piano was on the edge and was rocking back and forth as I was playing it as the fighters crashed into it.
I wouldn't have missed those days for anything
Life is all about events and memories. If you have had a lot of good interesting ones you are rich beyond your wildest dreams
KBO
Arnold

joemajury
10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
I have many a fond memory of Tenby, Saundersfoot(sp?), Crickhowell and the Breacon Beacons ( my time in the RAF)
I spent many a week at the ranges at Manobier.
Beautiful country.

Joe
:wink2: :wink2: