PDA

View Full Version : Lisa and Joel go Goth

peoplepainter
10-20-2004, 03:25 AM
Well, we didn't exactly go GOTH. I thought it would be funny to completely re-do Grant Wood's famous painting, AMERICAN GOTHIC but change the subjects. I know that's not a new idea but in light of our recent business adventure, I decided to use my face and Joel's.
X posting in Portraiture and as I said there, I bet Grant Wood is rolling over in his grave for a number of reasons. LOL.
Poor Joel. I have to give him a pencil neck in order to make him fit in the painting.
I'm going to re-do it again with my husband's face instead of Joel's for a Christmas gift. He won't like the pencil neck either.
It was a pain repainting the whole thing but I learned a lot about the subtleties of color in Wood's work and it was good practice on the oil brushes in Painter 9 which I just got.
Just so Mr. Wood doesn't leap completely out of the grave and come get me I am posting his excellent version.

See ya!

Lisa
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/43849-DPEYEGoth.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/43849-DPEYEGothdet.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2004/43849-AmericanGothic.jpg

captan
10-20-2004, 04:14 AM
Cool, very cool.

But part of the charm of the original painting is in the expressions of the two - you totally changed that with your smiling forward looking faces - it has this cut and paste feel to it, you should have made Lisa look at you from behind just as in the original and give yourself and her a more somber look. the skin tones aren't quite as pale enough to be believable and the shading is more oily/smudgy in yours - you cold add a grainy texture to it to emulate the texture on the painting - especially on the denim. Your neck is budging out which makes it look cut and paste - you did a better job on Lisas face. You forgot the glasses!

edit: I thought you were JCoop... damn you two and your identical avatars! :p

peoplepainter
10-20-2004, 04:24 AM
Actually, I was the one who did this so Joel can't be blamed.
Charm in the original facial expression...yeah I agree but I didn't have photos as sources in those positions and this wasn't meant to be such a serious work of art. Just fun. I simply used the only photos I had that were even remotely close. Not only that, the photos I used had the light coming from the opposite direction which made it especially challenging. You are right that I could have used paler facial tones. Maybe I'll change that.
The original pic below is a JPEG and it is grainy as can be which I think contributes to the more grainy look. If you have ever seen the original or a good print (it's one of my favorites), it is more smooth as Wood used oils.
Your input is appreciated but really, it was only meant to entertain.
Still, good thoughts.
You are right! I didn't put in the glasses! Oh well. :cool:

Thanks,
Lisa

Edit: LOL. I didn't notice the glasses. You didn't notice me! LOL

Yako
10-20-2004, 09:43 AM
:music: :music: :music: O Mc Donald had a farm. E-a-e-a-o! :music: :music: and on his farm he has some dogs E-a-e-a-o!!!!.... :music: ;)

A little more serious:

Very funny! i can't say anything about you're techniques. Perhaps if the original was redone this days, i'm sure the author would have painted something like that. :) :)

Perhaps it could be an excellent idea to apply in other things like using the faces of kids in a scene they would like to be, or to let them be a character they would like to be but it's impossible to be in real life (i'm just fantazising...)

justjean
10-20-2004, 10:40 AM
LOL, LOVE IT great work Lisa but would love to see the two of you with the original expressions and with your talent you CAN do it I know you can LOL

JulieBoyles
10-20-2004, 11:40 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dear heavens! I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I opened this just now! What a great idea! You did a great job on all of it. Which brushes did you use??? LOL! I can't think of anything else to write, I'm still laughing!

Great job! By the way, I don't know about Joel but I would be extremely HAPPY with a pencil neck! LOL :wink2: :p

Ok, got to wipe the coffee off my monitor and keyboard now!

Congrats,

Julie

peoplepainter
10-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Yako: Thanks so much. You know, I was actually thinking about doing what you suggested. Hey, I wouldn't mind looking like someone famous and attractive if I could get someone to paint me that way!
Justjean: I appreciate your faith in my ability but I have to say it would be rough doing it again. I had better move onto putting my husband in the painting or I won't have a Christmas gift. Glad you laughed.
Julie: LOL. No warning before you saw it, huh? I'm glad you laughed but I am sorry about the coffee. Did it have Cofeemate in it? That stuff can ruin keyboards, monitors and other things. I'd love a pencil neck too.

Thanks you guys...glad you saw some humor in it.

Lisa

n2painting
10-22-2004, 02:45 AM
Hey Lisa .... What a surprise!!! You never cease to amaze me with your talents my friend ... this was great!! I love it!!

n2painting aka Carolyn
:music: :clap: :clap: :clap: :music:

keishamari
10-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Oh, I think it is just great!!!!

TxAggieDarlin
10-22-2004, 12:56 PM
HI...I thought it was great...

When you have a moment, will you tell us how you did it and in what program? Thanks.. :cat:

JCoop
10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
hmmm... let's do the math... American Gothic was painted in 1930. That was 74 years ago... now, the man in the painting looks to be about... 70 years old. That would make me 144 years young. What's my secret you ask?... Milk!... the fountain of youth. 144 and still goin'! Look at those teeth... Beauties ain't they?!... that's the calcium.

It's interesting though, how Lisa looks like a teenager. While, on the other hand, it looks like my best days are far behind me. I guess that's what they call artistic license? Well, I for one would like to see that license... I'm sure it's a bonefied forgery!... I'm not sure, but I think that's a felony! Sure, Lisa's super duper talented and all, but her flagrant and wanton disregard for the laws that govern artistic licenses has to be vigorously addressed... or where does it stop?! Think about it... even with my consuption of all that milk, she has still managed to outstrip me in youthful appeal... is it any wonder she's smiling?

Today it's me... tomorrow it could be you. so I ask you ladies and gentleman... got milk?

peoplepainter
10-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Thank you to Keish, TxAggieDarlin and my dear friend who needs to start posting her great works, n2painting. You guys are kind.

Tx, I used Painter 9 with a Wacom, oil brushes. It took a while becuase I was trying my darndest to duplicate what Wood had done in the background, maybe a total of 7 hours or so.

Now for Mr. JCoop!
After I stopped darn near choking to death after reading your post (I was laguhing so hard), I calmed down with a glass of milk and thought:
1. If I can't get real plastic surgery I might as well do it artistically.
2. Yeah, you do have great pearly whites.
3. You ARE older than I am.
4. Your best days better be AHEAD of you or I am in trouble.
5. You are a fantastic artist as well as poster boy for milk but if your painting ability should ever fail you, I assure you that you have a promising career in creative writing!

Too funny. Way to funny.

Thanks all.

Lisa

Leslie_Ann
10-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Nice work Lisa! You've got quite the gift with digital art. :)

I'll have to scroll back when I find the time and look for more of your paintings.

peoplepainter
10-24-2004, 06:27 AM
Thanks, Leslie Ann. Hope if you find them you aren't disappointed. :)

Lisa