PDA

View Full Version : Does Everyone Get Painters Block

old navy
10-19-2004, 09:29 PM
I have been in something,I dont know what it is,but I had to force myself to go ahead with the next painting.I will shake off these detractions.Ron

artmom
10-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Hang in there, Ron! This, too, will pass!

I've just emerged from a "creative pause" that has lasted since May! :eek:

I don't know if "everyone" experiences this, but I know a lot of folk do.

Lyn

Rod
10-20-2004, 12:25 AM
I think most do at some time or another, it passes :)

Rod

Yorky
10-20-2004, 03:38 AM
Yup! Got it at present!

No painting in 2 weeks except for Monday class :D

Doug

pampe
10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
YES!

but let's call it CREATIVE PAUSE

old navy
10-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks Guys,nice to know that Iam not alone.Ron

amaze_1101
10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
When I get it I usually go do something else creative, like do some embroidery, take photos, sew a quilt, or write poetry. It passes. Try reading a good book too if you want something completely different, perhaps an autobiography of a painter, one of the masters.

Hope it passes soon for you Ron.

MsLilypond
10-21-2004, 08:25 PM
I've been tempted to post the same question the last few weeks, I'm in a creative slump as well. I can't get motivated to look at a paintbrush let alone pick one up. But Friday I'm leaving work at 2:00 picking up my dogs and heading to Northern Michigan to go visit my folks, I'm hoping the fall colors will inspire me, so I'm heading up during the day time.

I've got my traveling watercolor kit, my watercolor pencils, fluid acrylics and soft pastels, I'm ordering myself to use at least two of the mediums this weekend. And it's all already packed.

Wish me inspiration!

FriendCarol
10-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Doubt it, since not all writers get writer's block. Good idea to "play" sometimes, though, if you feel unready to "work."
For a writer, "play" can be typing word associations, lists, dreams -- whatever isn't the current project. I would guess for a painter, it might be color squares, brush squiggles (test a new brush, or a new hold on a brush?), a page of small frames for skies, quick figures, or types of trees; anything somewhat mindless, or at least simpler than the project.
These can serve rather like warm-up exercises do for athletes. ;)

Just now I'm having the opposite problem -- the list of paintings I'm trying to do, or re-do (usually in another size), is growing almost daily, but my pace of work has been slowed by fall weather or something (arthritis flare-ups, sleepiness)... Hope I'm not becoming ill again, but my housemate was home with conjunctivitis yesterday. :(

Often if you're aware of feeling not ready to do something, btw, it turns out you're somehow integrating new knowledge or skills subconsciously. When you start again, you may well notice you've reached a new level of skill or ability. (That used to happen to me with chess-playing.) So hang in there. :)

laudesan
10-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi Ron, YES!!!!!

Everybody DOES get creative pause at sometime or other whether they admit it or not.. LOL That is life, one has to rebuild, recoup, regenerate, renew or whatever you like to call it. :D

Yes it will pass, sometimes it takes longer than others. Read some art books, go for a walk and paint in your head, go to an art gallery, talk to us..

Huggles JJ (at Christies place)

jkook
10-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Yep, I've had it for over 2 months !! I will do most anything to avoid painting ?? I can think of the most rediculus distractions ! :D :D I have managed to force myself to prep some WC paper and actually put a drawing on two . Now, can I start to paint. Not yet !!! Maybe I'll have a burst of creativity ? What happened to spell check ????? :D :D :D :D Yep I'll spend a few hours looking for it and then I will not have to paint ??
Jim

GOwenStudios
10-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi, yes it is common to get creative pause. It comes and goes like the common cold. Take that time to go to museums, read novels and magazines. Sometimes seeing things in a museum or reading a book that describes a scene will spur you from the "creative pause" virus. I consider it a time to rest. Making art can be a job if you make it that way. It should be enjoyable.

Christie
10-24-2004, 12:31 AM
I think that many people have creative pauses, but recognize them (and deal with them) in different ways. If you have more than one creative outlet, then perhaps one area will get more attention for awhile.

In any case, it will pass when it passes. I find that if I force myself to paint, I turn out dross and then get depressed about what I have turned out thereby continuing the cycle.:( While in a pause I read art books or go to galleries.

Eventually the urge to paint comes back again and all those ideas that have been resting in the back of your mind keep you awake at night begging to be painted.:D

At least that is the way it works for me...:)

bexar215
10-24-2004, 01:18 AM
I get blocked all the time and it made me wonder how others do not. I just read a new book about creativity called A Brush with Darkness and this really helped me to understand the creative process. Also made me wonder if I should be tapping into my subconcious more.

FriendCarol
10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Just wondered if this happens to others: I've been waking up at night dreaming I was painting! These are very vivid dreams (though I dream in color anyway; can't actually imagine what it's like to dream in b&w).
Currently I'm not able to do much painting most days (yesterday redid a small still life called "Fruited Denim," and a few roofs on another series I'm calling "Playground"). I can't do a lot more because I have other responsibilities during the day, especially just now. Also, I can't sit long anyway, so I normally paint in stages... But my nights have been full of these dreams, for about a week now. I wake up wondering whether to use this pigment or that -- though I can't really remember the image I was working on when I wake so suddenly.

Maybe my mind just wants to be doing more painting than my body can handle just now? :D

daniellat
10-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Yup, FriendCarol, I do that too. I just wish my real life stuff was a good as my dream paintings. I dream every step, every brush stroke. exhausting, sometimes.

Daniella

Rosa Weitzel
10-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi,
I find that the more praise I get the more the family is enthusiastic over my work, the more I win a prize the more I can't put brush to paper. I think its pressure to perform. Its so silly but real.
Rosa