PDA

View Full Version : Making Notecards from paintings

jsteenhuis
10-19-2004, 07:13 PM
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, and usually I lurk, but I am delurking...

I wanted to make some notecards from some of my botanical illustrations that I have done. Mainly I want to use them for gifts but I also want to make enough to use at a charity sale that is coming up. Does anyone knwo whet the best way to do that is?
I figure I would scan them in, but then what is a cost effective way to make them into notecards? I don't have a very good printer so that may not be an option unless I decide it is worth it to get a good photo printer.

ANy suggestions? Has anyone done this, and if so, then what did you do?

pampe
10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi...glad you are unlurked

Doug (yorky) has made some BEAUTIFUL notecards from his paintings....if he doesn't wander in her in a minute...PM him

and let us see what you do!

Pam

Strawberry Wine
10-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Welcome Jacqueline :wave:

Glad you came out of Lurkdom :)

I make notecards using Avery Textured Notecards. they look like water colour paper and the paintings look very, very good on them. I use the small ones so you get two cards per sheet. About $14.00 canadian for 30 cards.

I print them on my own printer HP 7150 using the regular print normal mode, no need to use photo quality.

I printed out about 100 for two art festivals this summer and sold most of them and didn't use up the ink cartridge.

I have a couple left. If you want, PM me with your postal address and I can mail a couple out to you so you have a better idea of the card and the quality.

Cheers,

Gail

GOwenStudios
10-19-2004, 11:16 PM
You can use Microsoft Publisher as well. Use the blank notecard page.

Yorky
10-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Hi, caught up with this thread :)

I don't know where you live, Jacqueline (hint please add a few more details in your profile ;) ), but look at this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221412&highlight=notelets) where I gave details of www.craftcreations.com who supply all kinds of card blanks and materials and examples of cards that I make.

I use MS Publisher in the A5 single fold card setting and they turn out fine on my Canon i850 inkjet printer although I have to lay them out separately to allow the ink to dry and prevent smudging in the printer.

I encourage you to try this, people will pay 3 for a pack of notelets when they won't spend 30 on a painting. I also sell notecards to people whose house portraits I paint and they come back for repeat orders.

Good luck,

Doug

jsteenhuis
10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I will try to print up my own. And I will update my profile and post some of my work.

I went to an art show with a friend of mine recentle and she bought someones notecards which is how I came up with the idea.

Strawberry Wine
10-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Jacqueline:

I just started a thread here in the General Forum called "Note Card Sample" with a pic of one of my note cards. You may find it helpful.

Cheers,

Gail

LKrieger
10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
If you would rather not print them yourself, you can go to Kinkos (they have online ordering too) or anyone who does picture greeting cards and have them printed. I did Christmas cards this way with one of my paintings. I don't remember the exact price but it wasn't too expensive. They probably would be a little larger than standard note card size though. Just another option for consideration.

jspatton
10-21-2004, 11:52 AM
I scan my watercolors with an Epson Perfection 3170 and print them on to Avery Textured Notecards using an HP PhotoSmart P1000 (a fairly "old" printer, about 7 years old now, but still very satisfactory). I buy the notecards in packs of 50 for around $10 at local office supply stores (Office Depot seems to ususally beat the others by a few pennies) so that works out to 50 cents per card, plus ink which is a little more difficult to work out the price for since ink usage varies depending on the image being printed. If I had to wager a guess I'd say I print around 200-300 cards before running out of ink, but honestly I've never kept track. I sell a lot of cards for charity plus to friends and family. The quality is quite good and people seem to like them. I've thought about getting cards done professionally by a printing house, but the cost is prohibitive and I don't want to risk having to order hundreds of cards with one image when I might not be able to recoup my expenses. I like having the freedom of just printing out exactly what I need when I need it.