PDA

View Full Version : Galleries!!!!!

madmum
10-19-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm feeling more than a little mad tonight. I have several paintings hanging in a small gallery in town. Late this afternoon the owner rang to say 2 sisters have reserved my "Chasing Pack" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184436&page=3&pp=20&highlight=horses) painting (final painting is post #41). Then he said that I hadn't told him how much I wanted for the painting and he'd told them £95!!!! :eek: :mad: I remember I told him that as I loved it myself I couldn't sell the painting alone for less than £100, and after framing costs and his commission it needed a price of £160! I am so p****d!!!!!! I wonder if he was hoping I'd back down and sell for less? And if he wasn't sure, why didn't he phone me to check?????

Anyway, he's going to tell them that HE made a mistake, and give them the right price. I just hope they don't think he's unprofessional and run a mile! :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me moan!

Ruth

tigre255
10-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Oh my......hope things work out ok for you Ruth....... :(

Maybe you should make a list of the paintings hanging there and put the price on the list and give it to the gallery owner, that way he will have it right there at the galleries.

madmum
10-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Barb, that's a good idea! I just can't believe he stuffed up so badly!!!! I'd have sold for that price if I thought I'd made a mistake, but I distinctly remember telling him! :crying:

RogerPf
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
[BIG Huggs] and tons of symp.

I used to be very trusting, but I get less so as I age. I suspect he is knowingly lying. He found a punter and could move stock and is expecting you to suffer. I would not trust him an inch.

I remember a thread like this when I first started at WC - I think the advice was, never to leave paintings at a Gallery without the aggreed/(expected) retail price stuck on the back and over signed by the artist. [This gist was that this practice 'under selling work' is not that uncommon] At least that advice may help prevent a 'next time'.

{More Hugs} - both the pain and the stress of having to sort it out, poor Ruth.

--
Roger Pf

droll13
10-19-2004, 06:38 PM
At the very least - gross incompetence.

At worst - blatant, mercenary, dishonest greed.

Inexcusable, either way.

Pars
10-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh my......hope things work out ok for you Ruth....... :(

Maybe you should make a list of the paintings hanging there and put the price on the list and give it to the gallery owner, that way he will have it right there at the galleries.

Ruth - I agree totally. It is a safeguard and an assurance that you have an agreement with the dealer. Without it, you have no leg to stand on and that would be a pity. And sadly this is a familiar story - dealers can be notorious in their dealings :mad:

Good luck! and it's a mighty fine painting!

Rod
10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Most galleries here give you a receipt listing all paintings and sell prices agreed on plus the amount of commision.
If not then I ask for one , we need proof as to how many paintings they hold anyway,

Rod

Kate Mc
10-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Ruth, I think Rod's got a good point. If the gallery doesn't have anything like that, you can do one yourself and have him sign it too.

This incident gives you a good reason to go back to him and review the works he has and their prices--a good time to take a copy of Rod's document with you!

While it's possible (probable??) that the gallery owner did this to try to get your price down, I think it's best to give him the benefit of the doubt (more for YOUR sake than his!). Trust but verify, as Roger said.

I'm really proud of you for sticking to your guns. Good for you! Your painting is worth at least that much. I remember this one, and I loved it too! Pat yourself on the back!! :clap:

You GO, girl!

Kate

painterbear
10-20-2004, 05:06 AM
Ruth,

Way to go, girl! Stick to your guns, as Kate said.

This is a bad situation all around thanks to the Gallery Owner's incompetance (giving him the benefit of the doubt here).

Of course, the sisters are probably going to think you are just trying to get more money out of them, not that the GO was trying to pull a fast one.

Agree about having things in writing. This is a lesson learned not only by you but anyone who reads this thread. I remember when Turtle (Sarah) had the problem with a commission going sour and people said the same thing—get the details and agreement in writing right at the beginning. Saves problems and heartaches later on.

Good luck, sorry this happened to upset you.

{{{{Ruth}}}}} truly a MAD mum at this stage. ;)

Sylvia

artmom
10-20-2004, 05:57 AM
((((Ruth))))

Lyn