PDA

View Full Version : Need help with colors

joa
10-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I started this for the project "Spring Downunder and Fall Uptop" and now am stuck on a color question:
What is a good light red? I have cadmium-barium red, deep and naphthol red, medium, and that's all I have in red. The cardinal is done in the cad/bar, and the naph red is so transparent it's useless here. Can I mix a light red? or should I go ahead and buy it (if I can find it here in CC)?

joa
10-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Forgot to say what yellows I have: [cadmium-barium yellow, deep], and [brilliant yellow, cadmium yellow, medium hue, value 80]. And titanium white.

I have tried in the past to mix a light red, but was never successful--maybe because of the colors I have? I didn't even try this time.

Thank,
Jo

gnu
10-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey this is looking really great!! :clap:
I find a magenta is a great colour to use to cahnge reds and make oranges..
you may have to buy either magenta or the red you're looking for..
cad red medium is my favourite red, byt magenta mises will give you that 'punch' of Christmas red...

Charlie's Mum
10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Have to agree with gnu - you're better of having a few reds for mixing because they'll react differently with blues and yellows....so buy what you can and give it a try!
I also have vermillion and a crimson in my collection - two totally diff reds.

joa
10-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks, gnu and Maureen. I was thinking I would have to buy the red I want, and as I don't have a magenta to try a mix, I'll just go and see what I can find.
I think one store here sells W&N paints (none of them sell Golden). The paints I have are 26+ years old, but they are usable, just a limited pallette.

jonesbf
10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
I use cad red light all the time. It is quite brilliant by itself and can be easily deepened with dioxazine purple or ultramarine. Alizarin Crimson is a nice color too, but may be a little too "tropical" for this applicaiton.

Einion
10-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes you can mix a 'red light', add yellow (or better still, orange if you have one) to your Cadmium-Barium Red or Naphthol Red.

For the colour of Cardinals I would suggest trying adding Titanium White and a touch of yellow as the highlight colour.

Einion

joa
10-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Thanks, I did mix yellow with the cad red, and it worked fine. (Funny, I've tried that before--don't know why it didn't work then.) And then I used aliz. crim. for shading on the cardinal. Now I have 3 shades of red on him and it works. Now I have messed up the background and am having to redo it. Thanks again, y'all!

Jo