PDA

View Full Version : Is it different after you have met????

pampe
10-19-2004, 11:02 AM
So many of us have had the pleasure and good fortune to meet other WCers in REAL LIFE.

I find it makes a difference when I read and post....I "hear" the voice instead of attributing my own tone and personality to it.

If you have met other forum members....does it make a difference?

Please comment as you see fit

tigre255
10-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Pam, I voted "never have met anyone" but hope to correct that next year..... :D But feel that if and when I do it will be like you. I'll be able to hear the voice and picture the person talking...... :)

hopefulbucky
10-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Yes, I agree Pam, I think it makes a HUGE difference. All the folks I met were kind of like I had anticipated, ones that I had an instant bonding with were who I thought. But I was pleasantly surprised not only with the fact that everyone felt like old friends, but that we could joke, laugh and no one took our smart aleky comments to heart, of course we could see each other's expressions, but it was like we were extended family, or old school mates or friends that we just picked up where we had left off years ago.

Now when I read stuff written by folks I can put their facial expressions with their jokes or their way of writing and I don't take offense like I might have in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised by some folks that I met who I didn't really know very well (cyber speaking) and they were absolutely charming and fun, everyone in their own way.

I think everyone respected each other and our different ways.

It was one of the best experiences I have had for a long time and am looking forward to the next get together (with different folks in Montana if the date works).

Neat poll, Pam.

artmom
10-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Goody, a Pam Poll!! :D

Pam, it has certainly made a difference in how I view members' art and in understanding their comments! Some of the folk I have met I already felt a strong connection with and felt I was just picking up with an old friend that I hadn't seen in a long time (just as Judy said). Others, whom I didn't know as well, I immediately felt comfortable with.

It has been a great experience for me, and I hope to meet many more WC!ers before too long! As I have said before, the chance to meet folk from the Watercolor Forum was what gave me the gumption to get myself in better shape than I was in September of last year!!

I heartily recommend the experience to any and all--even if you can't go to one of the "Meets" or "Gatherings," try to arrange a meeting on a one-on-one basis with whomever is closest to you--it's worth the effort.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lyn

mr sandbanx
10-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi Pam,

I met Gail and JJ last week and was thrilled. It was like meeting old friends, we had a lot to talk about immediately and enjoyed a great day comparing notes and discussing old threads, and WC in general.

I did not meet Marvin or Yorky or Kate, but saw their paintings first hand as JJ had been given some. That was a thill in and of itself.

Was happy to have had the chance and i certainly look forward to meeting many more.

I meet Malty every day but but you know the old saw about if you don't have anything good to say.... :evil:

Chris

amaze_1101
10-19-2004, 01:20 PM
I hope it's not different. I've never met anyone from the internet. There are some I would do anything to meet and I'd be praying it isn't different or at least if it is then better in RL.

:wave:

Starsprite
10-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I'm like Elaine...I have never met anyone I knew from the Internet before. I would love to be able to go to any of the Wetcanvas meets.... but doubt I can. :crying:

Strawberry Wine
10-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Pam, I voted a big YES!!!

When JJ posts I now hear her Aussi accent with each typed word. I now know that when you get called "possum" it is a good thing :D

When I read a post from Uschi, I hear her lovely Austrian accent and am reminded of her beautiful floral filled home and her warm smile.

When I read a post from Char, I can see her sparkling eyes and feel her gentle touch and remember how good it felt to give her a big hug.

And Chris, what a gentleman, lovely crinkly eyes when he smiles, who I know I will be seeing again in the near future and will get to know him even more.

Cheers,

Gail

jaytee
10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
ABSOLUTELY !!!!!

everything Judy B said and more :)

I cant recommend it highly enough.........( and they even do their own cooking and washing up- though not hoovering :evil: )

And I also know that when someone puts ((hugs)) they really mean (((HUGS))).... I gave and received more hugs in one week than in the previous 62 years.........and they were meant ( well I THINK they were:) none of this air kissing in WC!!!!

That HAS to change things :)

PS Forgot to say... good to see a Pams Poll agian......... a NEW one that is....... the others are like indigestion. but nicer :wink2:

Uschi
10-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Definitely and even better!!!!!! Cyber friends become REAL friends.

I must say that there were no BIG surprises with the people I have met so far; I find as long as people don't put on a false persona while incognito, they really are how we envision them to be and that is why it feels like meeting old friends.
Uschi

RogerPf
10-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Yes it is different - subtly

I guess the was always the possibility that WC would somehow 'go away; but now, after meeting there is a feeling that the friendships would continue even if that 'unthinkable thing' happened. :)

My new cable modem is now working :) and I feel like those two Wall Street gents that had been reduced to poverty in that Edie Murphy film then at the end of next film they come into money.

We are back - We are back (Susan and I, on the internet that is) :)
--
Roger Pf

madmum
10-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Of course it's different! I have the memories of the faces, expressions, voices, accents, all filling in what was missing before!

I read JT's posts and hear her laugh (unforgettable!), Kate's I here her gorgeous silky voice and soft accent, yours I see your beautiful, youthful face , Alan's I hear his booming Scottish accent.

Doug's I can imagine his Yorkshire accent and Pat's her broad Wigan one, Sharon the soft Scouse. Everyone I have met has come to life!

Ruth

Yorky
10-19-2004, 06:12 PM
MUCH better - have to agree with everything Judy said.

Not only an insight into everyone's character, but a chance to see their painting techniques. I was sooo impressed with everyone's styles, so different. Everyone was so talented in their own way. Pam's motherwashes, Alan's lightning locomotive paintings, Joe's beautiful en-caustics, Gilly's amazing first watercolours, Janet's splashy plein air at Luntley Farm, and the way everyone threw themselves into a group plein air session at the church.

As you say, now when someone posts, you can hear them talking.

If you haven't already done it - then you must!

Doug

Europa
10-19-2004, 07:07 PM
I have met many people off the internet (ok I know I get around a bit :evil: ) - but must admit that you lot definitely lived up to expectations - there were only one or two surprises for me to be honest.

You are apt to build up a picture of someone's personality from what they put on here - but there are always little surprises along the way (am sure a lot of people were really surprised at how quiet I was in real life!!! :wink2: :p) and it is true that after meeting them you can picture their expressions as you read something they have written.

Pat

Sharon Douglas
10-20-2004, 04:42 AM
I find that it makes a big difference.

I know the faces, the voices, the personalities etc.

Before I met Andy, I wouldn`t have dreamed of winding him up the way I do.
After spending almost a week of winding each other up we know that we can say or call each other anything and no offence will be taken.
Joe and myself have kept in touch via email since we got home, and he said to me a few weeks ago, that he was enjoying reading mine and Andys comments to each other.
He also added that he thought they were funny, because he knew us both, and so knew that they were said in good fun, but people who don`t know us might think that we are being antagonistic towards each other.
Even when we have spoken on the phone, theres always some sort of joke or comment, but thats just the way we are. :D

As for me being the soft scouse, I`ve never been called that before :evil:
I`m sure you mean the accent and not soft in the `ed. :wink2:

andylavallee
10-20-2004, 05:44 AM
Well Sharon I'm shocked, Na not shocked. I'm gob smacked.. Do you mean , You dont mean those things you say when your being mean ! .. I mean if you knew the way I took those mean comments to heart . :crying: Our meeting should mean that when talking with you about you we should mean what we say we mean , I can't think of anything else to say without it sounding like I don't mean it. Sorry I didn't mean to say that !!!...

I think meeting other people is brilliant as well, I have quite a wit and my humour tends to be a touch sarcastic. If I was to write all the one liners and Jokes that entered my head on reading some of the postings, I would be banned from WC. I hope that people who have met me would know if I did make a comment/remark that was a bit iffey , thet it was intended to raise a laugh , never will I intend to raise someone hackles.

that is of course excluding Sharon!!! who has publicaly announced that its ok for me to wind her up :clap:

There a word Kate wind and wind

CharM
10-20-2004, 06:36 AM
...everything that everyone has already said...

Meeting WCer's CEMENTS frienships... worldwide...

Meeting WCer's COMPLETES the impressions we've formed of those folks... always in a very positive way...

Meeting WCer's CONVINCES me that I must do more...

The kindness, generosity of the folks I've met has been incredible... they become extended family...

pampe
10-21-2004, 08:36 PM
great comments.....

makes you want to do more of it, eh? :wink2:

laudesan
10-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Is it different??

YES IT IS BETTER.... :)

I have had the greatest pleasure to meet so many wonderful wc'ers from all over the world, and I count myself blessed to have met you all.

I have cemented friendships yes, and made new ones..

This trip of Alan's and mine is something I will remember all the rest of my days.

When we get home, we will be saving like crazy to do it all again in a couple of years..

I love you all, I honestly do!!!!!

Thank God for Wet Canvas.. !!!!

Kate Mc
10-25-2004, 02:19 AM
I've had the pleasure to meet approximately 40 WC'ers in person, and I have to say that it's always been really special.

For me, there have been no surprises--people are pretty much as they seem to be on line. But just as our pictures are more vivid IRL, the people are also more of who they seem to be. I think it's because we all post here day after day and we get to know each other after a while.

It's interesting, though, that we know what we look like (more or less), and we have a pretty good idea of what kind of people we are, but the surprise is always the ACCENTS! Not so much for me in the US, because there we all pretty much sound alike (except for Lyn, who has a wonderful East Tennessee accent!). In Antwerp, I expected a lot of Dutch/Flemish/French accents, and they were delightful.

But in Kington, I was gobsmacked at all the accents! I just hadn't thought about it. As we said there, Jana's the only one with an accent on line :D so for me it was a surprise to hear all the varieties of British/Scottish/Irish accents. And then the Australian one! :wave:

So as I read these comments, it's interesting to me that so many people mentioned voices (and thanks Ruth, I'm really chuffed--what an incredibly sweet thing to say).

Having met people makes me think a little more when I read their posts. I can picture them and imagine their expressions. It makes me feel closer to them.

Great poll, Pam. What do YOU think???? Hmmmm???

Kate

pampe
10-25-2004, 10:14 AM
:)

Yes, the accents are a kick...and Ruth was so sweet...I just read what she said
((ruthie))

droll13
10-25-2004, 02:30 PM
I've met just one WCer IRL (Mary Lou - aka Faafil), so my experience is limited. But I'd say it makes a substantial difference. Maybe that's because we feel like we already know the other person, so the awkward "breaking the ice" stage isn't an issue. In a way, we're comfortable before we meet.

I suspect that when I get the opportunity to meet other WCers (as I plan to do this Thursday when Mary Lou & I will meet JJ & Alan at LAX), I'll feel exactly the same, only more so.

Rod
10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes , it is far better knowing the personality and voices :)

We had a great meeting 2 years ago, one never forgets the wonderful times :)

Another reason that I prefer to see faces in our avatars ,

just gives a more personal touch to our exchanges in the forums:)

Rod.

laudesan
10-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Rod you are right one never forgets..

I have had just the best time meeting all these wonderful people. Every single one of them has the most special place in my heart..

I have formed friendships that I know will be lifelong, and yes when I see them on the thread, I really see them, and hear them ..

xx JJ

Yorky
06-24-2005, 10:23 AM
This is listed with a response time from JJ of 26 minutes ago?

What's happening?

Anyway, as we are here, I would confirm that wetcanvas is immeasurably more pleasurable when you have met some of the other members. I can still hear the voices and accents and laughter.

Doug

JustjoGA
06-24-2005, 10:34 AM
I wondered too, Doug... I saw that it's another old thread resurrected.
Fun one, though... since there have been other meets this year, maybe
some reactions from those who were there?

Jo in Georgia

artmom
06-24-2005, 10:47 AM
LOL, Doug! I just voted in the poll--I don't think JJ had anything to do with the poll being bumped up! :evil: :D

Each member I meet expands my horizons, and makes my WC! experience
more pleasurable!

Vote here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278508) for the 2006 WC! Gathering!

Lyn

pampe
06-24-2005, 01:23 PM
amazing how these old threads come up....LOL

I totally have forgotten most of them *S*

Jenoir
06-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Absolutely!! I already knew before the Ontario Meet that the people I would be meeting were going to be great, or I would not have gone!! However, I must say that once we actually met my expectations were far exceeded by the laughter, warmth and generosity of everyone. It was wonderful to be in the company of such talented, fun people.

Christie
06-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I can't believe that I missed this thread!!!

Yes, it does make a difference after you have met someone (or even spoken to them on the phone!). I enjoy meeting people from WC (even though I am shy! :D). Everyone I have met has been wonderful and I like the fact that there is the underlying interest in art to use as an icebreaker.

Starsprite
06-26-2005, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't know as I have never met or talked to anyone on the phone from WC before. But, I would have to assume it would definitely change the way you think about the person/persons you have met. You would have the body language of the person/persons to see, the sound of their voice, accent, characteristics, smell (yes even their smell..lol), just so much more info for the senses. I think you can get the "basic" idea of a person's personality by their typed responses and even seeing their paintings.... but meeting would complete the whole picture. :)

mr sandbanx
06-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Seeing all the paintings up close was terrific. Even though I have not met Doug, I have now seen two of his paintings. One this weekend and another when JJ blew through town last fall. Pretty much it is as expected, but with more than a few surprises thrown in.

Most people have very similar interests so it is not too difficult to get to know everyone. And it's nice to know we are not all as perfect as we might be led to belive... more than a few of us are directionally challenged, for example!

Voices are exactly as you would think, and then they are nothing at like like you would think. Meeting Lauren made me think back many years to when I played hockey in a tournament on St Clair Shores Michigan. The accent was bang on.

Hearing them all sing (albeit briefly) in the pub of the first night was great, and hearing all the chatter at the gallery as if it was old home week was wonderful!.

Of course I always knew Malty, but not without the bag... so even that was an eye opener as well. :D

I think now that I can put faces to names and names to paintings and ideas and thoughts, I will appreciate them all a lot more, and will make a point of checking on their work in the galleries. And certainly I will look forward to doing it again. One year soon I am going to England and will hunt down some of those folks...

Chris

NorahT
06-27-2005, 11:38 AM
The recent Ontario Meet was a great experience and has definitely made a difference for me. I was surprised how easily I recognized people and how welcoming they all were. Their paintings will have an extra glow for me now :)