PDA

View Full Version : My day out!

madmum
10-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone, I haven't been around today as DH and I went out for the day to Great Malvern, about half an hour by train from Hereford. I thought I'd share a few pics with you :)

First, a little history. Malvern is famous for its natural spring water, and in Victorian times the rich visited to take the water. It grew into a thriving town, with fantastic buildings and views to die for.

#1 The British Camp, an ancient hill fort just outside Malvern.

#2 Some fantastic colour in the trees, with the Malvern Hills in the background.

#3 We climbed the hill on foot, exhausting but so worth it to see these views!

#4 A hotel in the middle of Malvern, which is completely covered with these red vines!

#5 St Ann's Well, the climax of our climb.

Hope you enjoy!

Ruth

madmum
10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Almost forgot, a couple of special pics for Jaytee! :evil: :wink2:

pampe
10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
WOOT!!

Ruthie..looks like a great day!!!! *SO WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME TO STOP AT THIS PLACE?*

Hands on massive hips :wink2:

madmum
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Pam, forgive me, I thought I had :( But you lost all your notes, didn't you? That might explain it. You can go and see it next time ;)

Ruth

Strawberry Wine
10-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Great Photos Ruth, My favourite has to be the hotel covered in autumn foliage. do you have Virginia Creeper in England? From a distance that is what they look like as ours turn that vibrant red colour.

Cheers,

Gail

artmom
10-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Ruth, it really sounds and looks as if you had a wonderful day out! I'm so happy for you, and thanks for sharing those great photos.

Lyn

hopefulbucky
10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Ruth, great photos, so glad you and DH got a day out, what fun and it looks like the weather was gorgeous. A marriage needs these days away from the days cares and away from children.

droll13
10-18-2004, 08:05 PM
I agree - terrific photos. Thanks Ruth.

Pars
10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks for sharing the trip and photos with us, Ruth. :wave:

Flattwo
10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Ruth

These pics are fantastic, but I would not touch the water with a barge pole, I did once (not there) it tasted like liquid sulphur :(

My favourite pic is the red hotel

Henry

juneto
10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
The Red -Vined Hotel blew me away. I called my husband into tne computer room to see it , it 's so sensational!
Thank you for the Virtual Trip ! More More :clap: :clap: :clap:
June

jaytee
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
LOL ....... now I'll HAVE to go back when the plant fair's not on :D been meaning to but not got Round2it !!! You picked an amazing day for it didnt you !!!! can just imagine you both climbing the hill :evil:

Starsprite
10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Fantastic pics Ruth!!!!! I love the red-vined hotel...it's beautiful!!! Sounds like you and your husband had a great time. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kate Mc
10-19-2004, 02:12 AM
Woot! Ruthie, what a great day! I wish I could have been there.....

...maybe next time.

:wave:

Kate

Yorky
10-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Wonderful photos, Ruth.

You made the very best use of a beautiful day!

Doug

madmum
10-19-2004, 03:54 AM
Gail, yes I believe it is Virginia Creeper, it certainly makes the hotel stand out among all the stone buildings in the area!

Thanks, Lyn, there are more to come (took about 150, deleted 8! lol)

Judy, we both thoroughly enjoyed the day, it was a lovely change to be out together :)

Thanks, Dave, glad you enjoyed them!

Zoe, thanks for looking! Hope you like the next batch! :D

LOL Henry, I'm not too keen on the water either! Maybe the sulphur was the attraction for the Victorians? The red hotel is stunning, isn't it? This is the view of the rear, you can just see it in the 3rd photo too, in front of the Priory Church.

June, your wish is my command ;)

JT, yes you must go back, you'll love it! I have never seen a leafier place, huge trees everywhere you look! I tell you what, I thought the climb to your cottage was bad, but Malvern was 100x worse! lol I was beetroot red and gasping for breath when we reached St. Ann's Well, then saw an elderly couple scampering up and hardly out of breath at all! :o I need to get fit!!!!!

Thanks Patty, we did :)

Kate, when you come to Herefordshire again I would be happy to join you on a trip to Malvern! I can find my way around pretty well now, too, so you'd see the sights :D

I never mentioned that the view from the side of the hill is looking out over Worcestershire, the Malvern Hills more or less separate Herefordshire and Worcestershire. The views would be even better if we managed to get to the British Camp (#1), as both counties can be seen from 338 metres up!

Doug, we were very lucky with the weather! lol

Some interesting links about Malvern and the British Camp, including a 360 degree view from the top:
http://www.grapefruitopia.com/photos/malvern/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/features/malverns/new_malverns_history.shtml

More pics later!

Ruth

madmum
10-19-2004, 04:07 AM
Here goes!

#1 DH taking a break, leaning on an old lamppost (probably originally a victorian gas lamp)

#2 Malvern station, possibly the prettiest station I've been to (and I've been to lots!)

#3 Misericords in Priory Church - find out what they are on this link (http://www.greatmalvernpriory.org.uk/tour.html)

#4 I just thought it was amazing to see the new yew tree (twiggy thing) clinging to these rocks!

#5 A gorgeous orange acer!!!!

And more.......

madmum
10-19-2004, 04:14 AM
#1 The last roses???

#2 Orange and purpe :D (Begonias and lavendar)

#3 Great Malvern Priory, inside.

#4 Clinging to the rocks, a huge tree on the hillside.

#5 Some of the unique decoration at Gt Malvern station.

Had enough yet? :D

billythekid
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Beautiful photos, Ruth, you surely had a wonderful days. Did you pack the photos into the RIL ?

Pars
10-19-2004, 07:31 AM
So many lovely ones, Ruth. Will you put any/all in the Library? I may like to give one or two a go!

Thanks for the looking. As soon as I figure out how to install digi/scanner and the like, I'll send some of my trip photos to the library for your approval. I need a good kick for being so lame on electronics :confused:

madmum
10-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks Dieter, I'm slowly uploading the large files to the RIL, most if not all will be there later, and some are already done :)

Zoe, I look forward to seeing your photos!

Ruth

laudesan
12-14-2004, 04:43 AM
Oh I nearly missed this.... wow this is while I was on Holiday..

Cool photos'!!!

CharM
12-14-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm glad that someone brought this back up, Ruth, as I nearly missed it... What wonderful photos and what a wonderful day you must have had...

painterbear
12-14-2004, 05:57 AM
Ruth,

Your photos are fantastic. I'm so glad you and DH had such a wonderful excursion. It's good to break with routine now and then, isn't it?

Like Char, I had missed these the first time around so I'm glad someone brought it back up. There are so many wonderful shots here but I love the little gold and orange maple (?) glowing in the sunlight and the lovely train station and closeup of the pillar in said train station.

Thanks for sharing the fun with us.

Sylvia

JudyL
12-14-2004, 06:35 AM
Great pictures! The train station is as good as the one at Knaresborough, but theirs has a loo and ours doesn't!
Will have to put this on the list of places to drag Jack!
JudyL

Woodsy
12-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Oh yes, I like the one of the tree hanging onto the rock by its toenails... looks like a triffid about to pounce!
Thanks for posting these. Al.

madmum
12-16-2004, 02:54 AM
Where did this come from? lol

Aaaaah JJ, you resurrected it! Thanks for looking :)

Char, Sylvia, Judy, Al, glad you enjoyed seeing them - they're all in the RIL if anyone is interested in painting one, just search Malvern (I think I used that as a keyword in most of them) :)

LOL Judy :D The one in Malvern also has a small shop selling local art and crafts, I looked and the prices were scary - probably because the area has alot of Public schools (which would be called private schools in the US), making it a very upmarket town.

Ruth