PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Omman542
10-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Hello!

I don't normally come to this site but I have something I'm struggling with and wanted to see if you guys could help me. I would like to do an acrylic piece that will be done in thin washes. What I want to do is make all kinds of soft, fluid colors and then lay some leaves on top. I only want the impression of the leaf to come through so I want to be able to take the leaves off. I have tried a few times to do this but it doesn't leave much of an impression. What am I doing wrong?

MsLilypond
10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Your paint may be drying too fast for the leaf to make an impression. Try thinning your paints with a retarder or medium (matte, gloss or satin - whichever look you like best) to slow down the drying time, water doesn't seem to slow down the drying time.

damar
10-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Hello!

I don't normally come to this site but I have something I'm struggling with and wanted to see if you guys could help me. I would like to do an acrylic piece that will be done in thin washes. What I want to do is make all kinds of soft, fluid colors and then lay some leaves on top. I only want the impression of the leaf to come through so I want to be able to take the leaves off. I have tried a few times to do this but it doesn't leave much of an impression. What am I doing wrong?
A "thin wash" is more like staining with color, you need body to leave an impression. You'll either have to use thicker color, or use a clear gel medium.
You will have to remove the leaves before the medium dries, and then it's likely that the medium will level off and fill in. May want to go to Liquitex web site and look at their textured gels. Would the leaves be dried leaves or still green and flexible? (dried leaves may leave bits behind/tear/crumble if using a thick clear gel).

Omman542
10-18-2004, 09:30 PM
The leaves will be soft, not dry. I will check out the liquitex site. Maybe my washes are too thin... Thank you both for your advise about this. If I ever get it to work, I will definitely post the finished product here.

Thanks again!

HRH Goldie
10-19-2004, 11:48 AM
The advice already given answers your questions but if you are just experimenting and don't want the cost of the gel mediums (they can be expensive ml for ml) try mixing PVA craft glue into the paint. A little at a time until you get the consistency you want. This will give the body without changing the colour as it dries clear. Word of warning though remove your leaf straight away or it will stick and you will have a collage lol. Also don't let it dry on your brushes. These two basic rules will give you a very nice substitute for gel medium that I use all of the time.
You can also use it in the weaker paint ie glazes and washes.
Good luck with the project and please post a pic when you've done or as you're working we love to see experiments here :clap: :wave:

Christine

Omman542
10-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks Christine! I will definitely keep these things in mind, especially the part about not leaving the leaves on too long! ;)