PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a written journal?

GOwenStudios
10-18-2004, 12:31 AM
I have just started keeping a journal lately. I put down my notes and what I have been thinking. Actually, whatever pops in my mind. I think this journal would be my travel journal as well. How about you?

ShannonAnne
10-18-2004, 12:43 AM
I have tried but I inevitably quit. Cannot explain why. I tend to save email as I have found that my closest friends and family are amazing springboards for ideas. I know tons of creative types, especially the Artist's Way folks, are particularly attached to their morning pages. I know I will be in the minority here, but that is a-ok. :wave:

Carry on,
Shannon

Pars
10-18-2004, 08:26 AM
I've kept a journal on and off my entire adult life. It changes over time, sometimes just the written word, and others seem to creep into becoming a planner. More recently it has become a place of colour and visuals.

I belong to a group that is devoted solely to artists journals. If that is your intent, let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the link.

Sylvielu
10-18-2004, 10:38 AM
I've always kept journals. This year I started a journal that pertained only to art related things. I write about what I painted, the references, places I visit for reference photos and how I felt about painting results and what I plan to do next.

Other non art related stuff like family happenings, and living I keep in another journal.

FriendCarol
10-18-2004, 04:21 PM
I've been keeping a "spiritual journal" since the early 80's, but recently I've had to change its format temporarily. I always wrote on a laptop, or on PC, but now that I've divided my work into online & offline PC's (which share monitor, keyboard, trackball, and printer), I don't get the offline PC turned on very often. :(

So, just until I get a cheap used laptop (eBay, of course) to use as online PC (so using offline PC won't require physically switching all those connectors over each time), I'm mostly writing in my sketching journal. For months I wasn't using my sketching journal much at all, but since I've started using watercolor pencils, the pages have been filling up!

Christie
10-18-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm like ShannonAnne. I start and then stop. I journal when things are going badly and I need to sort things out.

Sketchbook journaling seems like a fun idea and I am currently giving that a try. I am much more likely to paint or draw than I am to write.:D

Strawberry Wine
10-18-2004, 05:26 PM
I asked for a journal for Christmas 2 years ago and I think that I have written about 2 pages. But I do think it is a wonderful idea. I keep a camper's journal where I jot down weather, what we did, where we visited and I have no problem writing in that.

Any hints on how to discipline oneself to make consistent entries would be appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Gail

Pars
10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Any hints on how to discipline oneself to make consistent entries would be appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Gail

Hi Gail - one way to discipline yourself is to write a few thoughts or ideas at a particular time of the day - your journal moment. Another is to always have it with you so that when some idea hits you or an image captures your imagination you can write or draw on the spot.

If you carry it, you'll use it. If you might time for it, just minutes, it can happen.

HTH,

Strawberry Wine
10-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Gail - one way to discipline yourself is to write a few thoughts or ideas at a particular time of the day - your journal moment. Another is to always have it with you so that when some idea hits you or an image captures your imagination you can write or draw on the spot.

If you carry it, you'll use it. If you might time for it, just minutes, it can happen.

HTH,

Thanks Zoe, Excellent Advice. I am going to work on this.

Cheers,

Gail

Steve T. Laws
10-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Yes. Yes, I do.

I even went so far as to make a written language so I didn't have to worry about anyone else reading it.

GOwenStudios
10-18-2004, 11:06 PM
I've kept a journal on and off my entire adult life. It changes over time, sometimes just the written word, and others seem to creep into becoming a planner. More recently it has become a place of colour and visuals.

I belong to a group that is devoted solely to artists journals. If that is your intent, let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the link.

Hi Pars,
I would like to take a look at the journaling link. I am interested in seeing what others are doing. :)

jsteenhuis
10-19-2004, 07:08 PM
I do too and I have a smorgasbord journal with sketching and journalling and everything mixed up in there. And then there is the wall calendar and the scrapbook and the online blog for the kids too.

Woodsy
10-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Just thought I'd throw the cat amongst the chickens on this thread with a link to something I came across recently... Heh heh.
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996374
Al.

DavidBR
10-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Nothing as creative or interesting as a journal - the engineer side of me comes out here though - I keep a spreadsheet which logs in a digital photo of each painting, the title, size, type of ground, my own personal rating system, whether it was posted as a Wetcanvas thread, and finally the link to the thread if there is one. Talk about boringly organized!

thetech
10-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I've been keeping a written journal for about ten years now. Started one when we took a trip to the south eastern United States, looking at houses and contmplating moving there. I have kept up with it off and on but really cant seem to do it every day. For example I probably havent written in it for 6 weeks, but all of a sudden I'll go nuts and fill up 60 or 70 pages in a week or two and then drop it for a while again. I think it makes interesting reading because the time period that passes between writing in it.

I don't think I would be too terribly upset if someone read it (as long as it wasn't my wife, some of my rants and raves about her are in there!!!), but it is kind of a private thing.

I also recently started to keep an sketchbook, art journal kind of thing but I still find myself doodling on spare peices of paper, and I just started a drawing class and have added another sketchbook to the collection!