PDA

View Full Version : Paper Slope

Dublin
10-17-2004, 04:52 PM
I have just finished watching a video workshop by Arnold Lowrey and it was really enjoyable. One thing that stuck out was that he paints with the paper vertical. Most tutors and books I have come accross give the usual advice of a slightly sloping surface for paintinig, but there he was, sloshing away with a totally vertical surface, and doing a lot of wet painting too. His results are remarkable. Does anybody else prefer to work with a vertical surface and what advantages have you found.Just interested because it was just a joy to watch him work and it looks far more comfortable too.
Brian. :)

NHArtist6
10-17-2004, 05:47 PM
I like to paint in a vertical mode when painting "en plein air". It allows for so many advantages, primarily keeping the sun off of the paper! It also allows for lots of motion and natural mixing of the colors on the surface and lets you see the subject in the same plane as the easel. It is very easy to get away from the painting as you work to assess just what is going on, too. In the studio and when working from photographic material, I like the versatility of painting at a much lower angle (ie, mostly flat). You can always change the angle of the painting when needed to move paint around.

When I see someone addicted to painting vertically, I usually suspect some serious plein air experience somewhere in their background.

John

pampe
10-18-2004, 11:36 AM
It depends on the subject, the weather and what I want the paint to do....I normally paint almost flat (maybe a 15 degree slope) but I move the board arouns A LOT while the paint does it's job

Pam

artmom
10-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi, Brian!! :wave: Nice to "see" you again. :)

Is Arnold's tape playable in the US, too? I didn't order it because I figured it was the British version, which won't play on our VCRs.

I've watched Fagan paint via internet camera. She stands up and does huge watercolor paintings vertically. I haven't tried it yet--I'd probably drown myself and my surroundings!! :D

Lyn

Yorky
10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't normally use an easel, so I have my paper almost flat.

I'll give vertical paper a try one day, but it could be messy! :D

Doug

Arnold Lowrey
10-19-2004, 04:09 AM
I have just finished watching a video workshop by Arnold Lowrey and it was really enjoyable. One thing that stuck out was that he paints with the paper vertical. Most tutors and books I have come accross give the usual advice of a slightly sloping surface for paintinig, but there he was, sloshing away with a totally vertical surface, and doing a lot of wet painting too. His results are remarkable. Does anybody else prefer to work with a vertical surface and what advantages have you found.Just interested because it was just a joy to watch him work and it looks far more comfortable too.
Brian. :)
Glad you like the video
The big plus in painting vertically is that you can zoom out and get that longer view
When you are sat down to paint this isn't possible, unless you get up and put it on the mantlepiece. The problem then is you will go and have a cup of coffee or something!
Arnold

:cat: